after HURRICANE ISABEL!

Old September 21st 03, 12:37 AM
Irulan

Default after HURRICANE ISABEL!

Well, I am back online after 2 days of no electricity resulting from the
pummeling we got from Hurricane Isabel.

Jazz did not talk to me for 2 days, although he was the least affected by
the storm. He had his regular meals, water, litter box cleansing, etc. But I
think the fact that the tv wasn't on for 2 days, I was just sacked out on
the recliner reading the whole day and pitch black at night (he usually has
a night light on), bothered him a bit.

Today, when the lights finally went on again at 2 pm he started to mrrrp at
me.

No cable tv yet, but at least I can heat up some soup and cooked a
hamburger. Went online to get my email and got hit by 215 Microsoft Patch
emails. I know everybody's getting them. But I had a hell of a time deleting
and bouncing each and everyone. Anyway, we have become so dependent on
electricity that without it I am totally lost. I did read 3 books in a row.

Jazz & his mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

Old September 21st 03, 02:55 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Glad to hear all is well and Jazz is talking to you again...
We really need to go buy a backup generator... we'd be ok without electricity,
but the fish would not survive that long.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 21st 03, 03:24 AM
Steve Touchstone

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:37:39 -0400, "Irulan" wrote:

[...]

Glad you weathered the storm, even though Jazz was upset by the
lowering of his expected level of servitude.;-) I know it's too late
for this go round, but I'd get a couple camp stoves and lanterns -
they come in handy around here during our power outages, We went about
a week without power a couple years ago and all I missed was hot
showers,

Hope you're not being bothered by the flooding, which from the news
looks like it's pretty bad for some areas
Old September 21st 03, 04:09 AM
Brenda

"Irulan" wrote in message
[...]

glad to hear that you're okay!
Brenda

Old September 21st 03, 05:38 AM
Marina

"Irulan" wrote
Well, I am back online after 2 days of no electricity resulting from the
pummeling we got from Hurricane Isabel.

Welcome back. So glad to hear you were not hit worse. Hope Jazz recovers
soon after being without his TV and night light (rofl!).

--
Marina

Old September 21st 03, 05:54 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Margaret Fine wrote:
If you have natural gas consider spending a little extra $$ and getting
an automatic natural gas fed generator. Once we get back to NC we'll

That sounds very interesting.... must do some research. We do have natural
gas and I would love to have something like what you've described. Does
it power the entire house?

can I wrestle with a portable generator on my own. Not to mention I'd
probably find some way to electrocute myself! ;-)

Yeah, if Tom was by himself and had to start it, he'd probably burn the
house down in the process... I'm the handy one in our team (as far as
tools and machines go).

Old September 21st 03, 08:46 AM
jmcquown

Irulan wrote:
Well, I am back online after 2 days of no electricity resulting from
the pummeling we got from Hurricane Isabel.

Jazz did not talk to me for 2 days, although he was the least
affected by the storm.

(snip)
Jazz & his mama

Funny. It didn't take a hurricane, but rather a freak thunderstorm in July
to leave me without electricity for 4 days. I survived just fine, as did
Persia. I have a stock of oil lamps, so I don't have to wander around
lighting candles all over the place. Although candles are nice in the bath;
however, I also have the misfortune of having an electric water-heater. I
got one hot bath and that was it. Cold water splash-baths and very quick
showers after that!

Cooked on the grill... all sorts of creative things, including bacon on a
cast iron griddle and then fried eggs in the drippings, and used some of the
drippings to make biscuits. Later cooked a pot of rice in a covered iron
skillet over the banked coals just because I had a craving for rice! Things
were thawing out and I had to keep going to work (we have a generator) to
refill bags of ice for the cooler. Steak and baked potatoes were of course
grilled the first night as the steaks thawed.

Yes, I read a lot. And went to bed early and rose with the chickens,
literally! A rooster down the street starts crowing at 5:30 a.m.

Jill

Old September 21st 03, 02:09 PM
polonca12000

I'm so glad you and yours are safe.
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Irulan" wrote in message
Well, I am back online after 2 days of no electricity resulting from the
pummeling we got from Hurricane Isabel.

snip