Aftermath of surgery for megacolon

Old September 4th 11, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stef[_2_]

Default Aftermath of surgery for megacolon

My cat Angus*, who is about 10 or 12 years old, has an enlarged large
intestine. He doesn't have full blown megacolon, and his current
treatments are working pretty well, but the vet says it's a progressive
condition and he might develop megacolon at some point.

Apparently the treatment for full blown megacolon is to remove the large
intestine.

I've heard mixed things about what happens to a cat after this
operation. Some people/sites say most cats eventually go back to having
more or less normal stools and pooping in the litter box. Others say
that many cats have chronic incontinence.

My question is: Have any cats you have known had this operation, and
what was the result (both short term and long term) in terms of
regaining continence?

*the black cat in this photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cat-and-dragon/3523343251/
--
Stef ** **
** cat-and-dragon.com/stef ** firecat.dreamwidth.org**
Old September 7th 11, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 9/3/2011 8:25 PM, Stef wrote:

My cat Angus*, who is about 10 or 12 years old, has an enlarged large
intestine. He doesn't have full blown megacolon, and his current
treatments are working pretty well, but the vet says it's a progressive
condition and he might develop megacolon at some point.

Apparently the treatment for full blown megacolon is to remove the large
intestine.

I've heard mixed things about what happens to a cat after this
operation. Some people/sites say most cats eventually go back to having
more or less normal stools and pooping in the litter box. Others say
that many cats have chronic incontinence.

My question is: Have any cats you have known had this operation, and
what was the result (both short term and long term) in terms of
regaining

I'm sorry for you and poor Angus. I remember reading about him. My cat
Marley had megacolon but I didn't opt for the surgery for him given the
prognosis, but that was many years ago. After he couldn't function
without constant enemas, I asked TED to give him the final goodbye. I
wish I could give you some experience but I hope you've gotten a handle
on what you'll do. This is one of those diseases that seem to require
an immediate decision when the time comes when they can't poop without
help. I do hope the current treatment continues to provide relief.

Overgrooming & Megacolon LauraM[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 1 April 3rd 09 05:44 AM
Megacolon Teena Cat health & behaviour 1 January 10th 09 10:58 PM
Megacolon LauraM[_2_] Cat health & behaviour 10 January 9th 09 09:06 PM
Hunter Surgery Aftermath Video CatNipped[_2_] Cat anecdotes 7 April 11th 08 08:43 PM
Surgery -- megacolon Rhonda Cat health & behaviour 31 July 10th 06 01:06 AM