Question about some sort of "lump"

Old December 13th 03, 04:09 AM
GRANT BARTRAM

Default Question about some sort of "lump"

Hi. My cat, Tipper will be 9 in March. About a year ago I noticed
something growing from his neck - upper chest area. I was petting him
under the chin one day and I noticed something, and I thought it was
just hair tangled up. Then it kept getting bigger, it was sort of
brown when it was still growing. Now, it is about half an inch long
and is kinda shaped like a mushroom. Whatever it is, it is now
colourless and looks dead, like it is about to fall off. Whenever I
feel around the bottom of it, where it it growing from, he gets mad
and hisses at me. Does anyone know what it is? Also, when I first
noticed it, ALL of the hair had fallen off his tail, like someone had
taken scissors and just chopped it off, but it is starting to grow
back now. Please help me if you know what this is, I don't want to
take him to the vet unless I absolutely have to. He doesn't do well
with people he is not familiar with.
Old December 13th 03, 06:14 AM
Alan Sandoval

You have to get this cat to a vet immediately. I'll reserve some of my less
kind thoughts.

Old December 13th 03, 06:14 AM
Alan Sandoval

Old December 13th 03, 08:19 AM
Dennis Carr

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 20:09:15 -0800, GRANT BARTRAM wrote:

Please help me if you know what this is, I don't want to
take him to the vet unless I absolutely have to.

OK, fine. Like Laura and Alan suggested, you absolutely have to take your
cat to a vet. You cannot make a safe diagnosis without seeing it, and
your vet is most qualified.

--
Dennis Carr - | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old December 13th 03, 11:40 AM
Liz

(GRANT BARTRAM) wrote in message . com...
[...]

It could be some kind of wart or worse. I strongly suggest you take
your cat to a vet. A lot of tumors (including malignant tumors) can be
removed via surgery if caught early without recurring later on and
without the need for further treatment, e.g., chemotherapy. It is also
important to catch any tumors early to decrease any chance of
metastasis. IMO, any owner that finds a bump or "veins" on or under
the skin of their pet should have a vet look at it right away. Dark
patches that appear on the skin should also be looked at immediately.
The earlier a tumor is diagnosed, the greater the chances of
successful treatment. Good luck.

http://www.vetpathology.org/cgi/cont...tract/38/3/291

Old December 13th 03, 07:38 PM
Annie Wxill

"GRANT BARTRAM" wrote in message
om...
.... I don't want to
take him to the vet unless I absolutely have to. He doesn't do well
with people he is not familiar with.

Grant,
I think you absolutely have to take him to the vet. No excuses. He depends
on you to do the right thing, even if he objects.
These sound like very strange skin conditions. Please let us know what the
vet says.
Annie