Abelard still sick, seeing TED today

Old June 24th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default UPDATE Abelard still sick, seeing TED today

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:16:10 -0500, Pat wrote:

TED says he's got a GI infection, gave him a shot of broad-spectrum
antibiotic + ten days' worth of "seafood flavor" pills. His weight is down
to 7.5 lbs. again, that's his lowest adult weight so far and about where he
was last year at this time. His temp. was 102.6 and TED says he was not
dehydrated in spite of all the vomiting and he should be better in a few
days. I hope he's right. I don't understand how he could have a GI infection
without passing it to the other cats somehow, but he's the only one that's
sick.

Perhaps his immune system was weakened when he had those burns.
Opportunistic germs are everywhere. Purrs that he will heal again and be
a happy cat. MLB
Old June 24th 06, 01:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"mlbriggs" wrote

Perhaps his immune system was weakened when he had those burns.
Opportunistic germs are everywhere. Purrs that he will heal again and be
a happy cat.

Abelard hasn't had any burns.

I started giving him probiotics several days ago and will keep it up for a
few weeks after the antibiotics are used up, too.

Old June 24th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:20:09 -0500, Pat wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote

Perhaps his immune system was weakened when he had those burns.
Opportunistic germs are everywhere. Purrs that he will heal again and be
a happy cat.

Abelard hasn't had any burns.

I started giving him probiotics several days ago and will keep it up for a
few weeks after the antibiotics are used up, too.

Sorry -- I got him mixed up with (Ye Gods! my mind has failed). Best
shes for his return to health. MLBwi
Old June 24th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:20:09 -0500, Pat wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote

Perhaps his immune system was weakened when he had those burns.
Opportunistic germs are everywhere. Purrs that he will heal again and
be
a happy cat.

Abelard hasn't had any burns.

I started giving him probiotics several days ago and will keep it up for
few weeks after the antibiotics are used up, too.

Sorry -- I got him mixed up with (Ye Gods! my mind has failed). Best
shes for his return to health. MLBwi

Probably Bandit - a year ago February she was in for a dental and they left
the rice heating bag in the microwave too long and burned her over 40% of
her body. The burns were so bad they turned necrotic and she had to have
that skin removed. She was 15 at the time. I'm surprised she lived through
it, but it took a *LOT* of life out of her - she hasn't been the same since.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 24th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri 23 Jun 2006 06:16:10p, Pat wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
) :

TED says he's got a GI infection, gave him a shot of
broad-spectrum antibiotic + ten days' worth of "seafood flavor"
pills. His weight is down to 7.5 lbs. again, that's his lowest
adult weight so far and about where he was last year at this
time. His temp. was 102.6 and TED says he was not dehydrated in
spite of all the vomiting and he should be better in a few days.
I hope he's right. I don't understand how he could have a GI
infection without passing it to the other cats somehow, but he's
the only one that's sick.

Even though it sounds like he's calmed down since your move, all
sorts of wierd things can happen due to stress. Who knows what
stresses them out? And the fact that they seem to exhibit it in
different ways. Sounds like he isn't too bad off, and you caught
whatever is going on early. Purrs for him and you.

--
Cheryl
Old June 24th 06, 02:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:33:39 -0500, CatNipped wrote:

"mlbriggs" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks! I just finished my dinner and while I was eating Bandit's name
popped into my head. I used to think of Abelard as a "wanderer" but he
apparently hasn't been doing that of late. What we really don't know is
how long it takes some germs to "incubate".I wish the best for both cats
as well as their slaves. MLB

Old June 24th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote:
TED says he's got a GI infection, gave him a shot of broad-spectrum
antibiotic + ten days' worth of "seafood flavor" pills. His weight is down
to 7.5 lbs. again, that's his lowest adult weight so far and about where he
was last year at this time. His temp. was 102.6 and TED says he was not
dehydrated in spite of all the vomiting and he should be better in a few
days. I hope he's right. I don't understand how he could have a GI infection
without passing it to the other cats somehow, but he's the only one that's
sick.

Poor little guy with a tummy bug. I'm so glad that TED found that it
was something that's not life threatening, and easily treatable.

Old June 24th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-06-23 17:16:10 -0500, "Pat" said:

TED says he's got a GI infection, gave him a shot of

broad-spectrum antibiotic + ten days' worth of "seafood flavor"
pills. His weight is down to 7.5 lbs. again, that's his lowest
adult weight so far and about where he was last year at this time.
His temp. was 102.6 and TED says he was not dehydrated in spite of
all the vomiting and he should be better in a few days. I hope
he's right. I don't understand how he could have a GI infection
without passing it to the other cats somehow, but he's the only
one that's sick.

Sugar gets mysterious GI infections too. I've learned to recognize

her signs and get her in pronto so it doesn't go on. GI infection is
not necessarily a contagious thing. More about bacteria in the tract
normally that just takes over when the good bacteria goes down for
whatever reason.

I'm glad you know what's wrong - doesn't sound too serious, now that
it's being treated. Still, I'm sure it's been no fun for him.

Karen, your comments are interesting. That would suggest that some
probiotics, eg, acidophilus, might also help. Was he on antibiotics
recently? (I apologize if you posted about that and I missed it.)
If so, that might well explain the imbalance in his gut flora. I
haven't had to take ABs for quite a few years, but after a bad
intestinal experience (resulting in an ER visit) about 8 years ago,
which was caused by too many courses of ABs for a sinus infection,
I now would never take them again without taking acidophilus at the
same time.

Purrs for a quick recovery!

Joyce

I haven't tried anything like that with Sugar yet. Right now, I'm just
getting her on wet food to see if we can get better stool. Seems to
just have started happening this year (we think).

Old June 24th 06, 03:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
.. .
TED says he's got a GI infection, gave him a shot of broad-spectrum
antibiotic + ten days' worth of "seafood flavor" pills. His weight is down
to 7.5 lbs. again, that's his lowest adult weight so far and about where
he was last year at this time. His temp. was 102.6 and TED says he was not
dehydrated in spite of all the vomiting and he should be better in a few
days. I hope he's right. I don't understand how he could have a GI
infection without passing it to the other cats somehow, but he's the only
one that's sick.

Cats are like people that way. Something one will just slide through will
make another ill. Stronger stomach acid or immune system or whatever.

Abelard is a more exotic breed right? A lot of them have more easily upset
digestive systems. A friend has to feed her Bengals a raw diet, because the
little girl can't keep anything else down.

Same as a lot of the exotics are more prone to allergies. The pro biotics
sound like they should help.

Purrs also on the way for Abelard's tummy to settle.

Jo

Old June 24th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Jo Firey" wrote

"Pat" wrote
I don't understand how he could have a GI infection without passing it to
the other cats somehow, but he's the only one that's sick.

Cats are like people that way. Something one will just slide through will
make another ill. Stronger stomach acid or immune system or whatever.

Abelard is a more exotic breed right? A lot of them have more easily
upset digestive systems. A friend has to feed her Bengals a raw diet,
because the little girl can't keep anything else down.

He's an Abyssinian and he loves vegetables and fish. Raw or cooked. He begs
for them whenever I have them.

Abelard is sick :( Pat Cat anecdotes 29 June 22nd 06 11:58 AM
Abelard the Tough Guy - hahahahaha!! Pat Cat anecdotes 10 April 13th 06 11:28 PM
Abelard loses the corn Pat Cat anecdotes 5 August 8th 05 11:10 AM
The Silly Cat Survey Enfilade Cat anecdotes 50 July 17th 05 06:45 PM
Back from trip, and sick as a dog Pat Cat anecdotes 9 March 14th 05 12:41 PM