Picking a cat / fostering a cat

Old March 24th 05, 04:40 AM
David via CatKB.com

Default Picking a cat / fostering a cat

Hi,

Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
lap, totally adorable.

Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
(his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).

I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency said
"Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
eat....

...It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he is
DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he lies
on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves to
be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!

No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to cuddle..

So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

Old March 24th 05, 04:43 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,

Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
lap, totally adorable.

Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
(his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).

I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency

said
"Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
eat....

..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

Ummm... are you having him treated for his (what i assume is fatty) liver
disease, or have you written this cat off?

In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he

is
DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he

lies
on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves to
be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!

No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to cuddle..

Okay, I'm sort of "losing it" at this point...

So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

Is it me, or are you extraordinarily picky, & treating the adoption of a cat
like the purchase of a TV?? IMO, based on this post, you probably shouldn't
adopt a cat.

Cathy

Old March 24th 05, 05:14 AM
Karen

in article , Cathy Friedmann at
wrote on 3/23/05 9:43 PM:

[...]

Hmmm. Same here. I think David needs to find a nice stuffed toy Geez.
Hepadic Lipidosis is not good, but it is treatable. David is apparently not
up for putting any effort in. Which does not bode well for any cat coming to
live with him because they are LIVING BEINGS that may get ILL. Yeesh.

Old March 24th 05, 04:46 AM
KellyH

[...]

snip

So, are you giving up on this cat?
He got liver disease because he didn't eat. I think I posted that when you
first asked about him not eating, and suggested that you get him to eat
something.
He can recover from the fatty liver disease. The vet will probably put in a
feeding tube if he doesn't start eating on his own. He will need to be fed
through that until he starts eating again. We had a cat at the shelter that
went into fatty liver disease because she stopped eating. She made a full
recovery.
Please don't give up on him.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 24th 05, 04:55 AM
Mary

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

I suspected from his past posts that for David cats are kind of like
cuddly "things." He was out looking for another cat just a day or
two after his latest died. I didn't really get that he had a real
emotional connection to that cat, though he clearly took it to
the vet and tried to care for it. I believe Phil thought it was euthanized
needlessly--or rather because David did not want to spend the money.
This is why I have not bothered with his posts since the cat died.
(I'm not saying David is a bad guy--hell some men love their
girlfriends less than he probably loves his cats--but there's
just something off here that I can't relate to.)

Old March 24th 05, 05:49 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

It was much more than that. The whole story didn't jive. I tried to give
him the benefit of the doubt - but I just couldn't - too much of his story
wasn't right. It was all about "David". He's not too bright, so what he
perceives to be a brainstorm is nothing more than a light drizzle to anyone
who knows a little about cats and vets.

This is why I have not bothered with his posts since the cat died.

The cat didn't just die - he had her *killed* because "I [David] might need
all that money for ME if a problem came up". That cinched it and confirmed
all my suspicions.

(I'm not saying David is a bad guy--

Why not? I am.

hell some men love their
girlfriends less than he probably loves his cats--

....only if they live up to his expectations. If not, they're dead or
discarded.

Its self-centered bull****.

Old March 24th 05, 05:48 AM
Rhonda

David,

I hope you don't abandon this cat. It already had one trauma with the
former owner's death, you leaving it too may put it over the edge.

When we adopt a cat, we take it for better or worse. This cat needs
someone to show a firm commitment and get it through the rough spots. He
must really be grieving. I hope you are up for honoring your commitment.

Let us know how he's doing and when you can get him back. He sounds like
a total love.

Rhonda

Old March 24th 05, 03:50 PM
David via CatKB.com

It might be fatty liver disease from not eating, or it could be liver
disease that caused the cat not to eat. Either way, the cat was not eating
and had to be treated, and the adoption organization requested that I use
their vet.

My last cat was 100% problem free for 13 years... I loved my last cat, and
going to the shelter right after made me feel better. I would go every once
in a while when she was living, just to play with the dogs and cats.

I did pay $450 to the emergency vet this past weekend, so I don't think
that's a sign of giving up or not caring. I just do not have any experience
with diseases, biopsies, ultrasounds, bills, etc.

The cat was fine when I first adopted him...but if he is not happy in my
home and has stopped eating..why force things? Maybe he needs to be with a
senior citizen who can pet and play with him all day - which is probably
the situation he was in before.

Old March 24th 05, 04:11 PM
David via CatKB.com

euthanizing the last cat..

Two vets recommended euthanizing my last cat. Surgery was not an option -
she was not strong enough and her weight was too low. I know that there are
lots of miracle stories on this site...But that's what they are - miracle
stories. I did not want to run science experiments on my cat.

A human being can understand "experimental treatment"...a cat cannot.

Old March 24th 05, 04:39 PM
David via CatKB.com

Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
that?