Do cats really know "no?"

Old March 14th 05, 05:41 AM
Elizabeth Blake

Default Do cats really know "no?"

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1110777040.1d4cbb305024ea00cc891efe530df082@t eranews...
I'm wondering if you can really teach a cat "no." I mean by "no" that
they have to stop what they're doing, shut up and sit down. Kami
responds to "no" as in "oh, okay, I don't really have to chew the power
cord," or "all right, it's not that important to me to drink out of the
shower faucet." But I was eating ice cream and "no" had zero effect.
It meant absoluely nothing to her, as she insisted on putting her face
in my snack and trying to get some for herself.

Otto has no concept of the word "no". He likes to jump on Tiger (bite her
neck, try to mount her even though they're both 'fixed') and poor Tiger, who
will be 15 next month, really dislikes this. Yelling at him doesn't do a
thing. Even when I get up and go over to where he has Tiger pinned down, he
completely blocks me out. When he wants to do something he seemingly
becomes deaf.

Harriet, one of the cats at work, does seem to understand "no" and it's not
a word she likes to hear. If she decides that it's time to bite me and I
tell her "no", it just ****es her off and she decides to bite harder. She
also gets a really mean look on her face, narrow eyes and all. If I just
take my hand away without saying anything her reaction is much less severe.
Harriet believes she is the only cat in the universe (despite living with
Stinky right there) and feels that she should be entitled to do and have
everything she wants.

Stinky, my little angel, never needs to be told "no". With Tiger, it's hit
or miss.

--
Liz

Old March 14th 05, 01:11 PM
Noon Cat Nick

"Brandy*Alexandre" wrote:

I'm wondering if you can really teach a cat "no." I mean by "no" that
they have to stop what they're doing, shut up and sit down. Kami
responds to "no" as in "oh, okay, I don't really have to chew the power
cord," or "all right, it's not that important to me to drink out of the
shower faucet." But I was eating ice cream and "no" had zero effect.
It meant absoluely nothing to her, as she insisted on putting her face
in my snack and trying to get some for herself.

Bijou knows "no". When he wishes to, that is. If anything, he knows it
doesn't mean "yes".
Old March 14th 05, 01:37 PM
Charles M

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 05:10:40 GMT, "Brandy*Alexandre"
wrote:

I'm wondering if you can really teach a cat "no." I mean by "no" that
they have to stop what they're doing, shut up and sit down. Kami
responds to "no" as in "oh, okay, I don't really have to chew the power
cord," or "all right, it's not that important to me to drink out of the
shower faucet." But I was eating ice cream and "no" had zero effect.
It meant absoluely nothing to her, as she insisted on putting her face
in my snack and trying to get some for herself.

They know the word and what it means, they just don't obey.
Old March 14th 05, 01:37 PM
melizabeth

"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1110777040.1d4cbb305024ea00cc891efe530df082@t eranews...
I'm wondering if you can really teach a cat "no." I mean by "no" that
they have to stop what they're doing, shut up and sit down. Kami
responds to "no" as in "oh, okay, I don't really have to chew the power
cord," or "all right, it's not that important to me to drink out of the
shower faucet." But I was eating ice cream and "no" had zero effect.
It meant absoluely nothing to her, as she insisted on putting her face
in my snack and trying to get some for herself.

--

With my cat its like a child learning the word for the first time, over and
over and over. She stops, hestitates, looks at me, then continues.

Old March 14th 05, 04:30 PM
Lesley Madigan

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message ink.net...
"Brandy Alexandre" wrote in message
news:1110777040.1d4cbb305024ea00cc891efe530df082@t eranews...
I'm wondering if you can really teach a cat "no." I mean by "no" that
they have to stop what they're doing, shut up and sit down. Kami
responds to "no" as in "oh, okay, I don't really have to chew the power
cord," or "all right, it's not that important to me to drink out of the
shower faucet." But I was eating ice cream and "no" had zero effect.
It meant absoluely nothing to her, as she insisted on putting her face
in my snack and trying to get some for herself.

Saying "No" to a cat starts a special circuit in the cat's brain which
sorta goes

1. Hoomin says "no"

2. Cat considers options

3 Is thing cat is doing so enjoyable that its worth doing until they
come over and stop cat from doing it?- If Yes keep doing until hoomin
comes over and stops you

4. Is thing cat is doing not so enjoyable as to be worth the hassle-
If Yes stop doing it and see if you can make them reward you for being
"good"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 14th 05, 04:50 PM
fatbak

Sure, they can know what "no" means. They just choose to ignore it.

Me: no!
Sushi (the cat): dum dee dum I can't hear you

Me: no!
Zoot (the dog): OH MY GOD I'M SO SORRY I'LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN PLEASE
PLEASE PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!

Irene

Old March 14th 05, 05:59 PM
Mary

"Noon Cat Nick" wrote in message
"Brandy Alexandre" wrote:

I'm wondering if you can really teach a cat "no." I mean by "no" that
they have to stop what they're doing, shut up and sit down. Kami
responds to "no" as in "oh, okay, I don't really have to chew the power
cord," or "all right, it's not that important to me to drink out of the
shower faucet." But I was eating ice cream and "no" had zero effect.
It meant absoluely nothing to her, as she insisted on putting her face
in my snack and trying to get some for herself.

Bijou knows "no". When he wishes to, that is. If anything, he knows it
doesn't mean "yes".

Heh. Mine respond to :no: but I do think the tone of voice is
what they know.