Picking a cat / fostering a cat

Old March 24th 05, 03:43 PM
kitkat

David via CatKB.com wrote:
Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
that?

There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
just fine with you again.
Old March 24th 05, 04:01 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-03-24, David via CatKB.com penned:
Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
that?

I don't know how things work in your area, but just as a heads-up, fostering,
at least through my local shelter, involves a *lot* of training and a house
inspection (required by law, I think). My shelter doesn't foster out healthy,
easily-adoptable cats, either, as it would take them out of the environment
(the shelter) where they are most likely to get adopted. So fostering
typically entails giving a home to a cat who is somehow troubled, either too
young to survive on its own (in which case we're talking about feedings every
two hours), or recovering from some illness or injury, or one who has
behavioral issues that have prevented it from finding an owner, so they need
someone to socialize it for a while. Special-needs cats who need a lot of
time and attention. I don't recall how the cost distribution works for food,
health care, etc., but I'm sure that varies by shelter. Fostering is more
than just taking a healthy cat home for a few weeks and playing with it.

However, the shelter I'm talking about doesn't euthanize pets that are even
remotely adoptable. Kill shelters may be more receptive to fostering healthy
cats.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 24th 05, 04:03 PM
David via CatKB.com

yes, yes..that was the problem. He was fine for the first few days...Then
he just stopped eating....He is a HEAVY cuddler- went right for my lap
every time I sat down..I've never seen a cat like that - he just lay down
like a warm mink coat...So that is the problem, I think - he needs a lot of
attention and can't be left home all day alone.

Maybe get another cat to keep him company?

Old March 24th 05, 04:14 PM
David via CatKB.com

I'm aware of that - this is a little more simple, it's just space related.
The adoption agency only has so much room at the pet store, they can't keep
pets in certain areas overnight. Weekends are the big adoption time (they
get really busy, which is nice)..So they really just need people to keep
the cats during the week when it's slow.

The cats have all been pre-screened, vaccinated, wormed, etc. for
adoption...So there's not as great a chance of behavioral/health issues..It
also lets people "try out" a cat and if it doesn't work out they can return
it. If it does work, then they can drop off a donation check.

Not a bad system, I think.

Old March 24th 05, 04:48 PM
Phil P.

"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Hi,

Well, my last cat is now under observation at the adoption agency's
vetrinarian...He was very loveable and mushy - just purred and sat on my
lap, totally adorable.

Except he didn't eat. Best I could figure out was that his former owner
died, so he/she was elderly - kept him company and fed him goodies all day
(his papers said "grossly obese" from animal rescue).

I got a call from the vet today - the doctor left a message that it was
most likely liver disease. The representative from the adoption agency

said
"Of course it was liver disease, that's what happens when cats don't
eat....

..It's sort of a chicken and egg thing - is the cat not eating because of
liver disease, or does he have liver disease because he's not eating.

In any event, stopped by another pet store, another agency has a set-up
there..This time I'm just fostering a cat till Friday..or longer. But he

is
DEFINITELY going back! He's gorgeous, eats up a storm...Except when he

lies
on the bed if you go to pet him, he hisses and scratches. But he loves to
be petted when he's walking around...Once he lies down - watch out!!!!!

No the kind of cat I'm looking for..I like the ones that like to cuddle..

It takes *time* to build a trusting relationship you self-centered *******.

So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are the
ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house once
again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term commitement
required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

...and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to your
expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective merchandise.

If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY FROM
THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make sure
every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.

Old March 24th 05, 04:49 PM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

snip

So, are you giving up on this cat?
He got liver disease because he didn't eat. I think I posted that when

you
first asked about him not eating, and suggested that you get him to eat
something.
He can recover from the fatty liver disease. The vet will probably put

in
feeding tube if he doesn't start eating on his own. He will need to be

fed
through that until he starts eating again. We had a cat at the shelter

that
went into fatty liver disease because she stopped eating. She made a

full
recovery.
Please don't give up on him.

--

I suspected from his past posts that for David cats are kind of like
cuddly "things." He was out looking for another cat just a day or

It was much more than that. The whole story didn't jive. I tried to give
him the benefit of the doubt - but I just couldn't - too much of his story
wasn't right. It was all about "David". He's not too bright, so what he
perceives to be a brainstorm is nothing more than a light drizzle to anyone
who knows a little about cats and vets.

This is why I have not bothered with his posts since the cat died.

The cat didn't just die - he had her *killed* because "I [David] might need
all that money for ME if a problem came up". That cinched it and confirmed
all my suspicions.

(I'm not saying David is a bad guy--

Why not? I am.

hell some men love their
girlfriends less than he probably loves his cats--

....only if they live up to his expectations. If not, they're dead or
discarded.

but there's
just something off here that I can't relate to.)

Its self-centered bull****.

Old March 24th 05, 04:49 PM
Phil P.

"KellyH" wrote in message
"David via CatKB.com" wrote in message
Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Who said there was anything wrong with fostering? I've fostered many cats
and kittens. I had to stop a few months ago and I miss it terribly.

Well,
actually I still have one foster, but she's integrated in with the rest of
the cats.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
that?

How do you know he will stop eating again? Did he seem bothered at your
house?

Can't you see what this lying, manipulating, self-centered, selfish,
inconsiderate, insensensitive, little creep is doing? He's building an
excuse for not keeping the cat so it won't look like its his fault when he
doesn't keep the cat.

Old March 24th 05, 04:59 PM
Mary

"kitkat" wrote in message
om...
David via CatKB.com wrote:
Fostering a cat

I don't see what there is wrong about fostering a cat.

Fostering a cat helps out the adoption agency. If the cat at the vet
recovers, he still did not adjust to living in my apartment and he
shouldn't come back - he'll just stop eating again. Maybe fostering cats
would be a good idea - they certainly need the help. What is wrong with
that?

There is nothing wrong with fostering cats. However, you have no idea
what will happen with the other cat if he returns to your apartment. It
sounds like he stopped eating because he was traumatized over the death
of his owner. Once he gets treated and starts eating again, he may do
just fine with you again.

He wants a problem free cat. He is intent on hedging his bets, not
willing to take the gamble we all take. If he had brought my Cheeks
home he would have returned her at the first asthma attack. And she
is the sweetest, most loving and intelligent cat I have ever met.

Old March 24th 05, 05:03 PM
KellyH

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote

[...]

Right. Fostering is not exactly "try and buy". You have to be comitted,
and open to different types of fosters. I've done everything from orphaned
kittens to senior cats. Sometimes we do need people to hold a cat for a few
days until we have room, but usually our volunteers do that. Most of the
time when we are looking for foster homes, it's for somewhat long-term.
I don't know what the laws are in other states, but in New Hampshire, when a
cat comes in with a bite wound, we have to hold it for 6 months before we
can put it up for adoption, to make sure the cat doesn't develop rabies.
This is one of our biggest needs. It doesn't happen that often, but it's so
hard to find a 6 month foster home.
Sorry, just rambling now.

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

Old March 24th 05, 05:04 PM
Mary

*******.

So, when I'm looking around at shelters or adoption centers..What are

the
ten warning signs that something is wrong behavior and health wise??

In the meantime, fostering is a nice way to get a cat into the house

once
again..even if it's not a perfect match. There's no long term

commitement
required...and if it works out, you can keep the cat..

..and if it doesn't work out fast enough or the cat doesn't live up to

your
expectations, you have her killed or returned like defective merchandise.

If you really want to help the cats of this world, STAY THE **** AWAY FROM
THEM and LEAVE THEM ALONE.

Does anyone have any information on this character? I want to make sure
every shelter in 100 mile radius of him puts him on their DNA list.

Is he a sociopath or just 1/4 inch deep? Man. I thought it might
just be me.