18 and still kickin please help

Old November 26th 08, 06:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

Default 18 and still kickin please help

i have 18 yr old cat that eats hard food then throws it up whole.( he
has all his teeth) we switched to soft and he will not eat it he licks
the juice then is done.the vet says its his age but he has lost weight
and i think he still hasa few years left what i need to know is what
can i give him can he drink kitten milk that u wold feed babie kittens
and will that be enough to give him the things he need to survive the
vet i have want to put him down and i just want him to live the rest
of his life comfortable claudia

Old December 11th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

On Nov 26, 12:59*pm, wrote:
i have 18 yr old cat that eats hard food then throws it up whole.( he
has all his teeth) we switched to soft and he will not eat it he licks
the juice then is done.the vet says its his age but he has lost weight
and i think he still hasa few years left what i need to know is what
can i give him can he drink kitten milk that u wold feed babie kittens
and will that be enough to give him the things he need to survive the
vet i have want to put him down and i just want him to live the rest
of his life comfortable * claudia

Is he a long-hair? We have a 13 year old Maine Coon who refuses to be
brushed on a regular basis. When he WANTS to be brushed, that's great
but when he doesn't he will not put up with it at all. Every so often
he will do exactly as you describe with the dry food, but throws up a
major hair-ball along with it. We have switched to hairball formula
dry food permanently, not just during shed-season and also use the
Femalt remedy regularly. But he will still abuse the dry food every
month or so. We did check this with our vet practice - they stated
that this was a common behavior with long-haired cats and not to worry
as long as he did not do it regularly. We are acutely sensitive to
this behavior as we have lost several rescues to FIP over the years -
and that sometimes expresses initally with vomiting.

Have the vet check for a trapped hairball. He may be trying to get rid
of it. Especially if he is a long-hair.

You might also check for gum disease - how is his breath? What happens
in some cases with this problem is that it hurts a bit to eat, so they
wait until they are nearly starved - then they gorge until they
puke.

Then, try warming the wet food a bit. That will trigger his senses and
possibly overcome his resistance to it.

Lastly, you might try switching to his favorite 'people' food - such
as cooked chicken, tuna or similar mixed with _small_ amounts of dry
food for bulk and roughage. Add to that a feline specific supplement
so you can be sure he is getting enough taurine and other critical
trace elements in his diet. Kitten Replacement Milk can trigger
lactose-intolerance in older cats - most are actually lactose-
intolerant. So, either find a non-lactose formula or don't use it. In
general, milk or milk products are not good for cats over a few months
old and should be avoided in any quantity - certainly not as the sole
or major dietary element.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA