cat likes the fridge

Old August 12th 04, 12:25 AM
Cathy Friedmann

Default cat likes the fridge

"MadHatter" wrote in message
any ideas why my kitten would like to get into the fridge, besides her
being curious? she jumps in there every chance she gets. one time,
my bf told me she got in there and he closed the door for 15 sec. she
he opened it, she was hiding behind a water filter pitcher. she was
playing then. the same evening, she jumped into the fridge when i
opened it. i closed the door for a few sec. when i opened it, she
was trying to get in to the bag with bread.
she also likes to lie on the floor in the shower. the floor is cool.
it's not hot, or even warm, in our apartment. we have air conditioning
on all the time. i wonder if she just likes to sit on cool surfaces.
i'm sure she doesn't feel the least bit cold in the fridge with her
fur, but i don't think she should live in there.

-L

This is the sort of thing one has to be really careful about. Demelza, Ms.
Hyper Cat, up till the age of 4, had an insatiable curiosity when she was
younger, & as a result lived kinda 'on the edge'. I had to constantly haul
her out of the fridge, the microwave, the fireplace, the dryer, every single
cupboard in the house... she was as familiar w/ every cubic inch of this
house as was possible for her to be.

Cathy

Old August 12th 04, 07:53 AM
Cat Protector

It could be because of the colder air. I wouldn't recommend you allow them
access to the inside of it though. When it comes to appliances, fatalities
can happen.

Old August 12th 04, 02:52 PM
Wendy

"MadHatter" wrote in message
any ideas why my kitten would like to get into the fridge, besides her
being curious? she jumps in there every chance she gets. one time,
my bf told me she got in there and he closed the door for 15 sec. she
he opened it, she was hiding behind a water filter pitcher. she was
playing then. the same evening, she jumped into the fridge when i
opened it. i closed the door for a few sec. when i opened it, she
was trying to get in to the bag with bread.
she also likes to lie on the floor in the shower. the floor is cool.
it's not hot, or even warm, in our apartment. we have air conditioning
on all the time. i wonder if she just likes to sit on cool surfaces.
i'm sure she doesn't feel the least bit cold in the fridge with her
fur, but i don't think she should live in there.

-L

Don't know why they find the fridge fascinating but one of my foster kittens
will make a beeline for it every time someone opens the door. My Boots likes
the dryer. Sometimes I think the really curious ones just like going where
they aren't allowed to be. Boots doesn't want in a room until you shut him
out and THEN it's the most desirable spot in the house.

Old August 13th 04, 11:32 PM
~*Connie*~

i don't know, but i think it's because it's cool there and because
it's locked. she wants to be everywhere and i'm sure she'd rule the
house (perhaps the world?) if she had opposable thumbs.
her food is in a smaller fridge, so it's not the food.

her food isn't in there, but yours is. cats have an amazing sense of smell.
your food smells good. she wants some.

Old August 14th 04, 02:53 AM
.oO rach Oo.

I would love to know too. When we first got Stella, she was about 3 months
old and all she did was try to get in the fridge. If she succeeded, she
would hop on the bottom shelf, get to the back and settle down. We started
barricading it off with things and she eventually gave up.

--
rach

Old August 14th 04, 12:41 PM
.oO rach Oo.

I would love to know too. When we first got Stella, she was about 3

months
old and all she did was try to get in the fridge. If she succeeded, she
would hop on the bottom shelf, get to the back and settle down. We

started
barricading it off with things and she eventually gave up.

yeah, if there's too much stuff on the bottom shelf, she doesn't
bother. she wants me to play with her and rung around like a maniac
all the time. i wish i could, but i just can't. i also can't run in
underneath the couch, or hang on window blinds. she was attacking
window blinds for about an hour today. i was sure that at some point,
she'd be able to pull them down by the string!

-L

Ahhh yes the blind game. We have cheap roman blinds from Ikea and Stella
LOVES to play with them. After she was spayed a few weeks ago, We had to
tape them all down because she also jumps up behind them and onto the window
sill. This and she DOES have a companion to play with; however Delilah just
usually sits and watches the show. The only time she will react to things
Stella has done is if Stella has been a bit bad. She will then tap her on
the ass with her paw.

We came to the realization a long time ago that we have no control and it's
better to work around the cats, making sure they don't get hurt etc rather
than drive ourselves insane trying to get them to behave or do things we
want.