The hair battle - what do YOU do

Old August 25th 04, 04:19 PM
Christi Conley

Default The hair battle - what do YOU do

to combat the shedding?
I have four indoor only cats - and my 2 males
shed like crazy all year round - the more I brush
them, the more they shed (or so it seems) - my
house is becoming covered with cat hair. I
don't have dust bunnies anymore, I have dust
elephants fueled by the cat hair - I can't seem to
get the rugs clean of the hair unless I brush the
rug or use my hand to "gather" up the hair --

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

Thanks!

--
Christi
Stampin' Up! Representative

Old August 25th 04, 05:08 PM
Rob

vacuum... a lot. we bought a dyson with the animal attachment. we are
mostly carpted and its amazing at how much hair gets sucked up every couple
of days. once in a while we'll use the attachment to do furniture and the
carpeted stairs. i've even tried vacuuming one of our more curious cats,
but he decided he wasn't curious enough to stick around for that .
we currently have 3 cats, 2 long hair (one black, one white so the hair
shows up on ALL clothing ) and are adding a 4th long hair (black) in about
2 weeks which she's old enough to come home.

Old August 25th 04, 05:54 PM
Mary

"Christi Conley" wrote in message
to combat the shedding?
I have four indoor only cats - and my 2 males
shed like crazy all year round - the more I brush
them, the more they shed (or so it seems) - my
house is becoming covered with cat hair. I
don't have dust bunnies anymore, I have dust
elephants fueled by the cat hair - I can't seem to
get the rugs clean of the hair unless I brush the
rug or use my hand to "gather" up the hair --

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

Thanks!

--

I would first suggest getting a better vacuum cleaner,
and make sure it is lightweight enough that you don't

Second, you need to vacuum more often and brush the cats more often. There
really cannot be more to it than that. I have seen foods that supposedly
reduce shedding, but that sounds odd and strikes me as something that 1) I
don't believe at first glance and 2) suspect would not be good for the cats
if it were.

Good luck!

Old August 25th 04, 09:37 PM
soft

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:08:49 GMT, "Rob" wrote:

vacuum... a lot. we bought a dyson with the animal attachment. we are
mostly carpted and its amazing at how much hair gets sucked up every couple
of days. once in a while we'll use the attachment to do furniture and the
carpeted stairs. i've even tried vacuuming one of our more curious cats,
but he decided he wasn't curious enough to stick around for that .
we currently have 3 cats, 2 long hair (one black, one white so the hair
shows up on ALL clothing ) and are adding a 4th long hair (black) in about
2 weeks which she's old enough to come home.

to funny - mine run for cover as soon as the vacuum gets pulled out of
the closet and I never find then until it's put away. I find combing
hair daily and vacuuming often works pretty well - I can't say I am
ever hair free in the home, but it's not bad.

Karryl

http://www.i-love-cats.com/meow/soft63389/index.htm

Old August 25th 04, 11:53 PM
Cathy Friedmann

"Christi Conley" wrote in message
to combat the shedding?
I have four indoor only cats - and my 2 males
shed like crazy all year round - the more I brush
them, the more they shed (or so it seems) - my
house is becoming covered with cat hair. I
don't have dust bunnies anymore, I have dust
elephants fueled by the cat hair - I can't seem to
get the rugs clean of the hair unless I brush the
rug or use my hand to "gather" up the hair --

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

Thanks!

Combing/brushing the cats may help. Otoh, I've not found a lot of
difference...

If you run a very slightly damp hand along the cats, your hand will pick up
a lot of hair. Same thing for rugs, upholstery, etc. I also use a lint
brush on rugs & upholstery, bedspreads, etc. And there are very dense foam
sponges (used dry or slightly damp) that are good at doing this - I've found
them in DIY stores in the past. They're marketed as good for cleaning the
dust off lamp shades & such, but they also are great for gathering up cat
hair.

Cathy

Old August 26th 04, 12:10 AM
dgk

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:19:40 GMT, "Christi Conley"
wrote:

to combat the shedding?
I have four indoor only cats - and my 2 males
shed like crazy all year round - the more I brush
them, the more they shed (or so it seems) - my
house is becoming covered with cat hair. I
don't have dust bunnies anymore, I have dust
elephants fueled by the cat hair - I can't seem to
get the rugs clean of the hair unless I brush the
rug or use my hand to "gather" up the hair --

What do you do to combat the shedding &
your home becoming covered with hair?

Thanks!

Rip up the rugs. That way hair can't get in them.

I have one cat who will let me vacuum him. The other two are not quite
as easy.