Need a cat gracy recipe or a cat friendly gravy recipe

Old September 19th 11, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

Default Need a cat gracy recipe or a cat friendly gravy recipe

On Sep 18, 3:42*pm, hopitus wrote:
On Sep 18, 2:01*pm, Catlady wrote:

On Sep 18, 12:28*pm, "Matthew"
wrote:

Limo who is 15 almost 16 has something wrong with her mouth it is not a
tumor or lesion *the flesh under her tongue is staying inflamed. *The vet
believe it is an auto immune disease. *He put her on antibiotics in the
beginning they helped out a lot but are doing nothing now.

Some possibilities include eosinophilic granuloma complex, glossitis,
and the plague (yes really).

Currently treating with corticoid shot every couple weeks she goes back this
week again. *Probably put her on a permanent version of the drug. *She hates
being pilled she runs and hides for hours if you miss getting her.

Injectable steroids should not be used at all, and certainly not long
term. It is very common for cats to develop diabtes from these
injections that is often irreversible. A better option is to get
prednisolone (NOT prednisone, which is ineffective in cats) in a
compunded liquid form that can be easily given with an oral syringe or
mixed with food.
* This is obviously painful for her and she should also be getting
pain meds. Has any testing been done? A biopsy and some bloodwork
really should be done to get a handle on exactly what this is.
Treating by "guessing" what it might be does not help her, as you are
seeing.

Well she has trouble chewing. *We have found she will still drink the gravy
or juices. *So I have been squeezing various pouches out for her to eat. *WE
have tried that liquid supplement ,chicken broth chicken stock gravy in the
jars and cans she ignores it *, tried the senior vitamin supplement paste
she ignores it. *I even tried the gravy for dogs she ignores it *while
Rumble gobbles it.
Done evaporated milk *she will drink when she is in the mood. *Kitten milk
ignores it

She will eat tuna and chicken from the can juices sometimes but really want
to stay away from that too much processed junk in it a couple times I know
is fine but need to find another source. *I did bake some chicken the other
day *the juices from it *she gobbled. *I know how to make gravy but mine
always have onions and some other non furball friendly stuff. *I do not know
how flour effects cats since that is what I use to thicken the product

Anyone have had the same experience with a gravy gobbler. *This probably
would benefit Rumble also since he is a gravy gobbler. *There used to be a
product called Just gravy but is no longer being produced in the US.

My vet does not have any recommendations. *He is one of the ones that don't
try and push products on people for ridiculous prices

I have checked online *all I find is people asking the same question or
sites that want you to buy some product

Any help is greatly appreciated

Use a hand blender like this one (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-...-Watt-Immersio...
) and take any canned food she likes that is a pate and blend it with
water into a more gravy like consistency. Your cat will not get the
nutrition or calories she needs from gravy alone. If this is EGC you
also must consider what she is eating. There could be an allergic
component to this and eliminating all fish, beef and grains (Fancy
Feast comtains wheat gluten which is a huge trigger as well) from her
diet may be enough to turn things around. Wellness and Innove Evo 95
are good options that are grain and gluten free that blend up nicely.

I was wondering about the nutritional value of just eating gravy/
juices exclusively; and
yeah, not great idea for regular regime. Snaggly licks all the gravy
off his gooshy food
(which he only gets every few days) so I just don't give him any
kibbles or treats till he
comes back and finishes the actual food left from the can in his bowl.
He would like to
get just gravy but I outsmart his likes.
So....pulverized allergy-free food inserted from a syringe with a
large enough snout end
to handle finished product would give much better nutrition value.
Where could you buy
syringe with business end that big? When I used to work, the
"specials" xray room had
all kinds of these for cath attachments, but like where now for public
purchase? I can no
longer raid medical supplies at work. Would vet supply places or
online be a source for
large-bore syringes?
Snaggly eats like a pig and I am asking just in case for friends, or
future need.- Hide quoted text -

I have always used 3 ml oral syringes (much easier to handle -
especially with an uncooperative cat! ) and shoot no more than 2 mls
at a time, which is equal to about one bite of food and is just about
right where it all goes in and doesn't get spit out. In most cases,
using a blender on foods I know are already soft and not chunky has
worked well enough that I can draw it up in the syringe without
getting it stuck. Plain meat baby food always works smoothly and is my
go to for emergencies when a cat is off food. I also keep a couple of
the empty glass jars around as they are perfect for putting the
blended food in and drawing from, and a full jar (2.25 ounces) is a
reasonable amount for one meal and is easier than trying to keep track
of how many mls you can get into the cat. The last thing anyone needs
is to have the cat develop fatty liver disease from not getting enough
food! I have also at times taken the syringe, cut off the tip and then
stuck the sharp end of a knife or scissors in the hole and twisted it
around until the hole is wider. I then take an emery board and smooth
out the rough edges and it works quite well.
Old September 19th 11, 12:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
catlady

On Sep 18, 3:42*pm, hopitus wrote:
Would vet supply places or
online be a source for
large-bore syringes?
Snaggly eats like a pig and I am asking just in case for friends, or
future need.- Hide quoted text -

I forgot to add that I reaaly like the Baxa syringes. You want the
kind with the small ring like the one at this link as it doesn't stick
like the other type does:
http://www.planetrx.com/p/baxa_exact...ea/163965.html

Old September 19th 11, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Debbie Wilson

Matthew wrote:

Limo who is 15 almost 16 has something wrong with her mouth it is not a
tumor or lesion the flesh under her tongue is staying inflamed. The vet
believe it is an auto immune disease. He put her on antibiotics in the
beginning they helped out a lot but are doing nothing now.

Currently treating with corticoid shot every couple weeks she goes back this
week again. Probably put her on a permanent version of the drug. She hates
being pilled she runs and hides for hours if you miss getting her.

Well she has trouble chewing.

Matthew, when I had some foster kittens recently that became ill and
wouldn't eat (they were about 8 weeks old so on solids by then) I got a
kitten feeding kit and used the syringe without the teat from that to
syringe-feed them. Like Catlady suggests, a wide-bore syringe would be
perfect. I had to cut the end off the syringe to make it wide enough for
the gloopy food. The food I used was Royal Canin 'Babycat Instinctive
10' wet food in trays, which is like a pate consistency, and watered
down a little to allow it to flow better.

I wonder if Limo is reluctant to eat because it is just too painful for
her? It sounds to me like lapping or chewing would be very painful with
an inflamed mouth or tongue so she doesn't really even want to try as
she knows it will hurt. I'm not sure how easy it will be to try
syringe-feeding her but it may be the only way to get some nutrition
into her.

Another thing I had to deal with a year or two ago was a rescue cat that
had its jaw wired due to a RTA. Obviously he could not eat or drink so
he had a gastric tube through which both liquid food and water had to be
given at set intervals throughout the day. The area was covered by a
tubular bandage and a dressing. It required a lot of careful nursing to
make sure the tube and area was kept spotlessly clean and that he got
the right amounts of food and water throughout the day. It is a drastic
option but that way bypasses the painful mouth completely. However may
not be suitable for an elderly cat or your circumstances. I'm sure your
vet could advise.

Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old September 20th 11, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
[...]

As others have said I'd use a blender to make her usual food into a paste
that she can lap up.
Tweed

Old September 23rd 11, 02:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:

Well she has trouble chewing. We have found she will still drink the
gravy
or juices. So I have been squeezing various pouches out for her to
eat. WE
have tried that liquid supplement ,chicken broth chicken stock gravy in
the
jars and cans she ignores it , tried the senior vitamin supplement
paste
she ignores it.

(snippage)

[...]

No mystery - any drug store will have them.

Jill

Old September 23rd 11, 02:15 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Limo who is 15 almost 16 has something wrong with her mouth it is not a
tumor or lesion the flesh under her tongue is staying inflamed. The vet
believe it is an auto immune disease. He put her on antibiotics in the
beginning they helped out a lot but are doing nothing now.

My vet does not have any recommendations. He is one of the ones that
don't try and push products on people for ridiculous prices

I have a problem with this statement. Vets don't have to push products in
order to make recommendations. It's not like you're asking him to sell you
something. You're asking him how to help you get Limo to eat! He should
have *some* thoughts on the matter!

Jill

Old September 23rd 11, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...
Limo who is 15 almost 16 has something wrong with her mouth it is not a
tumor or lesion the flesh under her tongue is staying inflamed. The vet
believe it is an auto immune disease. He put her on antibiotics in the
beginning they helped out a lot but are doing nothing now.

My vet does not have any recommendations. He is one of the ones that
don't try and push products on people for ridiculous prices

I have a problem with this statement. Vets don't have to push products in
order to make recommendations. It's not like you're asking him to sell
you something. You're asking him how to help you get Limo to eat! He
should have *some* thoughts on the matter!

Jill

Your reading more into than it was ;-). In other words We already discussed
it. He was not trying to push ridiculous high end priced products that we
know would not work on me like a lot of vets do.

This vet is a personal friend of mine for over 20 years

I actually just got back from the vet less than an hour ago. HE gave her
another shot. In 2 weeks we start the Presidone or however you spell it
treatment to see if that helps. The only real option right now is to biopsy
the material that has a problem. Big problem there is when limo was last
under the knock out stuff when she got neutered 14 plus years ago she almost
died from a reaction to it.

So far she turns her nose up on the gravy types I make but the fresh chicken
stock she will eat. I ordered some of that Vitagravy the local petsmart
was out of it

OT recipe help Stormmee Cat anecdotes 32 April 22nd 08 10:38 PM
Recipe time! Mishi Cat anecdotes 3 December 17th 06 09:26 PM
Need Recipe CatNipped Cat anecdotes 8 August 21st 06 12:41 PM
[OT] Recipe needed Pat Cat anecdotes 22 June 28th 06 07:05 AM