Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter

Old April 9th 04, 08:56 PM
Peter D. Tillman

Default Feral cats _Evolution_ by Stephen Baxter

In article ,
"Bill Reich" wrote:

Well, cats are already pretty effective predators. Baxter has them
all die off because they're "too dependent on humanity". Given how
readily cats go feral, I'm skeptical. (And note that they tolerate a
wide range of conditions, from jungle to desert to subarctic forest.)

Cats also have a wide range of genetic variance: they would probably
have a large capacity for speciation if given the chance. And they
are naturally _predators_ upon rodents -- if the rodent population
swelled, any surviving cats would feast.

Sincerely Yours,
Jordan

Unfortunately for feral cats, the bobcat isn't anywhere CLOSE to
extinct and considers his domestic cousin a good meal. In areas where
humans live, urban or rural, feral cats thrive because the other
predators have been discouraged. Feral dogs kill them but feral dog
packs often get the attention of the authorities and get discouraged
too.

The bobcats have become exceptionally bold around Tucson -- rarely does
a week go by when I don't see one in our suburb. Last year, one grabbed
our cat off the windowsill. Fortunately, I was there and kicked the
bobcat until it turned loose. $1600 in vet bills, and Precious is almost
as good as new. She doesn't go outside anymore. In fact, I see about as
many bobcats as domestic cats in our neighborhood, now.

Could be worse. When my parents lived in Kenya, they had friends whose
dog slept at the foot of their bed. Until the night when a leopard came
through the (unscreened) bedroom window, grabbed the dog, jumped back
out. While the couple were in bed, watching in horror.

Cheers -- Pete Tillman

Old April 9th 04, 10:14 PM
Karen

"Peter D. Tillman" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bill Reich" wrote:

[...]

Why would *anyone* continue to let their cats outside in that environment!!
Not to start a flame or anything, but with big cats around, its just too
dangerous. Have you seen those pics in abpa? Yikes.

Karen

Old April 9th 04, 10:39 PM
Sherry

The bobcats have become exceptionally bold around Tucson -- rarely does
a week go by when I don't see one in our suburb. Last year, one grabbed
our cat off the windowsill. Fortunately, I was there and kicked the
bobcat until it turned loose. $1600 in vet bills, and Precious is almost
as good as new. She doesn't go outside anymore. In fact, I see about as
many bobcats as domestic cats in our neighborhood, now.

Let me get this straight. You see bobcats in your suburban neighborhood as
commonly as domestics? *Suburbs"?
I know bobcats are a threat; we have them here. But it's a rare thing for them
to be seen in the daytime, near the house. . You must have a *tremendous*
bobcat population...Has a news crew covered this yet? Are they even educatiing
people about leaving garbage out, etc., to prevent encouraging them further?
You're also very lucky you weren't seriously injured yourself.

Sherry

Old April 9th 04, 11:57 PM
John Biltz

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:14:35 -0700, Karen wrote
(in article ):

"Bill Reich" wrote:

[...]

Tucson is tough country for pets, bears, mountain lions, coyotes and I
guess bobcats. I have a friend who lives there and says there is no
feral cat population because of the coyotes. As much as the cats enjoy
running around here if I lived there I wouldn't let them out. He has a
Norwegian Elkhound and it was attacked by coyotes. 98 or 99 I think
someone was killed by a bear.

I think the idea that cats are dependent on man for their future survival
is silly. There are many times as many feral cats world wide as there
are living with people. The Maine Coon is said to be adapted to Maine
from cats brought over and gone feral they survived and flourished.

Old April 10th 04, 06:32 AM
LOL

itty (Sherry ) wrote in message ...

Let me get this straight. You see bobcats in your suburban neighborhood as
commonly as domestics? *Suburbs"?
I know bobcats are a threat; we have them here. But it's a rare thing for them
to be seen in the daytime, near the house. . You must have a *tremendous*
bobcat population...Has a news crew covered this yet? Are they even educatiing
people about leaving garbage out, etc., to prevent encouraging them further?
You're also very lucky you weren't seriously injured yourself.

Sherry

There are more of them out there, and closer to us, than you would
think. I used to live in a town of appx. 23,000 people, one block off
the main street through town. When I got home late, I routinely
scared a bobcat out of the dumpster of our apartment complex; he'd
leap out and run when my headlights would shine on the dumpster as I
turned in.

I live in a very small town (pop appx. 3,000) in a fairly large county
that's mostly rural, and it's not uncommon to see a bobcat running
across the road. The local police have said that you could be
*amazed* at the wildlife roaming the street in the middle of the
night. Bobcats, coyotes, the occasional bear, etc. You can find
alligators basking on warm paved roads near ponds on any summer night.
We also have panthers, but they are rare, and are mostly, but not
always, found waaay out in the woods. One memorably stalked our
in-the-city-limits neighborhood for several days before heading back
to friendlier territory, and a few d*gs disappeared during that time.

------
Krista
Whose Mikey does NOT go out after dark. Ever.
Old April 10th 04, 06:32 AM
LOL

[...]

"The CarMax of Cats" (nice story) CajunPrincess Cat anecdotes 3 March 30th 04 06:10 AM
2 ferals StocksRusĀ® Cat anecdotes 47 March 2nd 04 10:07 AM
sunny day=happy cats John Biltz Cat anecdotes 1 November 15th 03 06:14 AM
The cats of the Blue Cave badwilson Cat anecdotes 12 September 29th 03 05:25 PM