An Interesting Day at the Rainbow Bridge

Old September 17th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jeanne Hedge

Default An Interesting Day at the Rainbow Bridge

I hadn't seen this posted here yet, apologies if it was and I missed
it.

This came through on a mailing list. Writer's credit is at the end.

************************************

An interesting day at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge is a place of both peace and anticipation as departed
pets await their beloved owners. There are plenty of things to keep
them contented while they wait: trees you can't get stuck in, endless
meadows, splashing streams, thickets perfect to hide in for pounce-
attack games.

But one day the residents noticed some rather...unusual newcomers
arrive.

The koalas and the kangaroos slipped in rather quietly, but then came
the bearded dragons, the skinks and the goannas. The influx of snakes
startled an entire family of cats up a tree. Pythons, cobras, tiger
snakes, brown snakes and even fierce snakes. There were so many at
one point, it seemed the ground itself was alive with writhing. A
burly wombat shouldered his way through the crowd and plopped down in
a shady spot, barely missing a Jack Russell terrier who yapped
indignantly as he abandoned his position.

And then the crocodiles showed up.

Finally, a Great Dane managed to get up enough nerve to approach one
of the reptillian giants.

"Um....excuse me," he said hesitantly. "But why are you all here?"

The croc dropped her jaw and laughed. "Same as you, mate," she said.
"Waitin' for someone who loved us."

The dogs, cats, gerbils and other "typical pets" looked at each other
in confusion, then at the plethora of weird, ugly and downright
deadly creatures assembled. Who on Earth could possibly love some of
those faces?

"I see him!" shouted a green mamba from his vantage point in one of
the trees. A cacophony of squeeks, hisses, bellows and roars erupted
as the mob surged forward toward a lone human walking across the
field toward the bridge. The other animals managed to catch a glimpse
of him before he was overwhelmed by the crowd.

"CRIKEY!" he shouted joyously right before he was bowled over by the
wombat.

"Well I'll be," said a Persian as she tidied up her fur. "It's that
Aussie my human liked to watch on TV. Had to be the craziest human on
the whole planet."

"Oh, please," remarked a echidna as he hurried by. "Is it really that
that crazy to passionately love something God made?"

written by drharper on Livejournal

Old September 17th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

That is perfect for him
I know the world will miss him

Old September 18th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gabey8

::tears:: What a great find! Thanks for posting it!

Donna, Captain, and Stanley

Old September 18th 06, 09:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K.

Default The crocodiles are crying (Was: An Interesting Day at theRainbow Bridge)

Another homage to Steve Irwin that I picked from abpa - writer's credit
at the bottom.

******************

THE CROCODILES ARE CRYING

Endless visions fill my head - this man - as large as life

And instantly my heart mourns for his angels and his wife

Because the way I see Steve Irwin - just put everything aside

It comes back to his family - it comes back to his pride

His animals inclusive - Crikey - light the place with love!

Shine his star with everything he fought to rise above

The crazy-man of Khaki from the day he left the pouch

Living out his dream and in that classic 'Stevo' crouch

Exploding forth with character and redefining cheek

It's one thing to be honoured as a champion unique

It's one thing to have microphones and spotlight cameras shoved

It's another to be taken in and genuinely loved

But that was where he had it right - I guess he always knew

From his fathers' modest reptile park and then Australia Zoo

We cringed at times and shook our heads - but true to natures call

There was something very Irwin in the make up of us all

Yes the more I care to think of it - the more he had it right

If you're going to make a difference - make it big and make it bright!

Yes - he was a lunatic! Yes - he went head first!

But he made the world feel happy with his energetic burst

A world so large and loyal that it's hard to comprehend

I doubt we truly count the warmth until life meets an end

To count it now I say a prayer with words of inspiration

May the spotlight shine forever on his dream for conservation

My daughter broke the news to me - my six year old in tears

It was like she'd just turned old enough to show her honest fears

I tried to make some sense of it but whilst her Dad was trying

His little girl explained it best. she said "The crocodiles are crying"

Their best mate's up in heaven now - the crocs up there are smiling!

And as sure as flowers, poems and cards and memories are piling

As sure as we'll continue with the trademarks of his spiel

Of all the tributes worthy - he was rough. but he was real

As sure as 'Crikey!' fills the sky

I think we'll miss ya Steve. goodbye

RUPERT McCALL 2006
Old September 18th 06, 03:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

My boss just asked me why I don't run over to the drug store and get me some
waterproof mascara...

God bless those who can see beauty in the most unlikely place, and the most
unlikely faces.

Rest in peace, Steve.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old September 18th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:
My boss just asked me why I don't run over to the drug store and get me some
waterproof mascara...

Why do you think I don't wear mascara at work?

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old September 20th 06, 11:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
meeee

I've just been watching the memorial service for Steve. Me and DH have been
sharing memories all day, watching all 3 telecasts of it. Thanks for posting
this.

"Gabey8" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
[...]

Elektra at the Rainbow Bridge Renee Babcock Cat community 13 July 20th 06 06:24 PM
Rescuer's Bridge Shirley Cat anecdotes 8 May 5th 06 03:21 AM
Dmitri has crossed the rainbow bridge Juls Cat health & behaviour 47 September 1st 05 02:36 AM
Neat Rainbow Bridge Site John Cat anecdotes 7 May 14th 05 06:28 PM
Christmas at the Rainbow Bridge Jo Firey Cat anecdotes 2 December 11th 04 11:50 PM