Cat Throws Up

Old May 21st 08, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

Default Cat Throws Up

Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
throws up? He's 13 and this has been going on for years. I can only
give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
being about 45 minutes apart. Only then will he not throw up.

He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. He's very
healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
needed. He's so loved and I know he's happy. It's just this darned
throwing up. I don't get it.
Old May 21st 08, 03:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On May 21, 7:30*am, "Matthew"
wrote:

is it the same food over the years *if so it might be a food allergy

I've changed his food several times over the years based on my vet's
recommendation. He still throws up. And what's even weirder is that
he only throws up in the morning.
Old May 21st 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:16:58 -0700 (PDT), LauraM
wrote:

Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
throws up? He's 13 and this has been going on for years. I can only
give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
being about 45 minutes apart. Only then will he not throw up.

He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. He's very
healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
needed. He's so loved and I know he's happy. It's just this darned
throwing up. I don't get it.

It's probably not the same thing, buy one of my cats throws up every
time I feed him *if* I don't leave some food out for him all the time.
He'll scarf the food down so fast that he doesn't chew it and then
promptly throws it back up. Are you leaving some dry food out at
night that's available for your cat to nibble on so he's not so hungry
by morning that he wants to inhale his food in the morning?
---
Zob
Old May 21st 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews. Maybe I'll try
leaving some out at night for him. I'll try that tonight. I'd hate
to think I'm starving my 20 lb. cat for cryin' out loud! *snicker*
Old May 21st 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Claude V. Lucas

wrote:
[...]

When I first got Bubba, he would gobble his kibble as if he were
starving and then throw it back up. I switched him to Royal Canin
Maine Coon formula that has larger chunks that force him to chew
it instead of inhaling it. He still occasionally throws up but
nowhere near as much as with the smaller kibble.
Old May 21st 08, 08:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote
Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.

Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.

Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
just change his attitude about food too.

Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
is usually much cheaper.

Old May 21st 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
just change his attitude about food too.

Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
is usually much cheaper.

I agree with feeding canned food. One of my boys used to vomit a lot
when he was on dry. With the canned I have few vomiting incidents
(unless, of course, he has a hairball).
Old May 21st 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Mac Cool

LauraM:

almost every morning, my cat
throws up?

Mine does this too. I thought it was because he was eating too fast so I
started giving him just a little food, waiting a half hour then giving him
the rest but he still threw up even the little bit of food. It happens
maybe ten times per month. He won't eat canned food. I starved him for two
days once trying to get him to eat canned food and he will only lick it
then walk away. I also tried mixing it with his dry food but then he won't
eat either.
Old May 21st 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On May 21, 12:02*pm, "cybercat" wrote:
"LauraM" wrote

Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! *He does
scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.

Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.

Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
just change his attitude about food too.

Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
is usually much cheaper.

Interesting. Do you have any recommendations on canned food? Money
isn't an issue because nothing's too good for my boy!
Old May 22nd 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

I recommend Wellness canned foods. They are grain free. I have been
feeding my cats Wellness canned for awhile now. They love it.

S.
---