Cat Throws Up

Old May 22nd 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

Default Cat Throws Up

"LauraM" wrote:.

Interesting. Do you have any recommendations on canned food? Money
isn't an issue because nothing's too good for my boy!

Laura,

I recommend any canned food with real meat as a first ingredient--e.g. beef,
chicken, or maybe fish, though there can be problems with fish-based
catfood. In other words, any canned food that does not have "meat
byproducts" as a first ingredient. I also look for foods with no wheat as I
think one of my cats has an allergy to wheat.

I buy Fancy Feast, because it is easy to find and they love it and do well
on it.

Old May 22nd 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Have you tried using a hairball remedy? Also, when do you feed him. If it's
in the morning and he throws up right after eating it could be either the
food or he's a fast eater.

"LauraM" wrote in message
Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
throws up? He's 13 and this has been going on for years. I can only
give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
being about 45 minutes apart. Only then will he not throw up.

He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. He's very
healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
needed. He's so loved and I know he's happy. It's just this darned
throwing up. I don't get it.

Old May 22nd 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

"LauraM" wrote in message

Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
throws up? *He's 13 and this has been going on for years. *I can only
give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
being about 45 minutes apart. *Only then will he not throw up.

He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. *He's very
healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
needed. *He's so loved and I know he's happy. *It's just this darned
throwing up. *I don't get it.- Hide quoted text -

My little darling is just a fast eater. He's so funny. I'm going to
try canned food once, but I fear that if he throws that up it'll be a
mess. I use a hairball remedy that he licks off my finger. I think
it's called Laxaire or something like that. He does pretty well
getting the hairballs up when he doesn't have any food in his
stomach. So he does try to be neat about it. :^)

Old May 22nd 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene S.

On May 21, 6:23*pm, "blkcatgal" wrote:
I recommend Wellness canned foods. *They are grain free. *I have been
feeding my cats Wellness canned for awhile now. *They love it.

S.

I also like Wellness and use it regularly. Other good ones are Innova
and Nature's Variety.
Old May 22nd 08, 05:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote
My little darling is just a fast eater. He's so funny. I'm going to
try canned food once, but I fear that if he throws that up it'll be a
mess. I use a hairball remedy that he licks off my finger. I think
it's called Laxaire or something like that. He does pretty well
getting the hairballs up when he doesn't have any food in his
stomach. So he does try to be neat about it. :^)

Please give the canned food more of a chance. Living things are
"messy." If you don't want mess get a stuffed cat.

Old May 23rd 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Wed, 21 May 2008 15:02:02 -0400, "cybercat"
wrote:

"LauraM" wrote
Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.

Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.

Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

You can't make a blanket statement like that about all dry cat foods;
it's misleading. I feed my cats a low-glycemic food that is all
vegetables and protein without a bunch of grain fillers. You just
need to shop more carefully.
---
Zob
Old May 23rd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
zob

On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:08:29 -0700 (PDT), "Rene S."
wrote:

Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
just change his attitude about food too.

Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
is usually much cheaper.

I agree with feeding canned food. One of my boys used to vomit a lot
when he was on dry. With the canned I have few vomiting incidents
(unless, of course, he has a hairball).

Lord knows I've tried feeding my cats canned food. They will
absolutely not eat it, and I've tried several different brands from
cheap to expensive. (The vet told me that *all* cats like "Fancy
Feast," and recommended it. She obviously hadn't met Yoda and Onyx,
because they turned their noses up at it. If I put canned cat food
out for them, they may taste it, then it will just sit in the dish
until it stinks and I have to throw it out -- while they cry because
they're hungry. (Yoda actually turns around, scratches the floor and
tries to bury it -- I don't have to guess what *he* thinks about it!).
Ironically, they both *love* the moist cat food in the foil packets --
but my veterinarian told me to absolutely not feed them this; she acts
like they put poison in it. So I have no choice but to feed them dry
food.

Yoda has severe skin allergies -- apparently to the processed grains
in most dry cat foods (I was having to take him to get prednisone
shots every 3 months) -- but thankfully I've found one which they both
like and do very well on: A couple of months ago I switched them to
"The Goodlife Recipe;" it has only vegetables, chicken and brown rice
(a whole grain) with no starchy fillers, processed grains, artificial
flavors or preservatives. I can get it at WalMart, and it's not all
that expensive. I'm very happy that I found something that they will
both eat -- and apparently is maintaining their coats, skin and
overall health. Yoda's skin especially has cleared up without any
further steroids; no more sores or plugs of fur coming out.
---
Zob
Old May 23rd 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On May 22, 9:57*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"LauraM" wrote

My little darling is just a fast eater. *He's so funny. *I'm going to
try canned food once, but I fear that if he throws that up it'll be a
mess. *I use a hairball remedy that he licks off my finger. *I think
it's called Laxaire or something like that. *He does pretty well
getting the hairballs up when he doesn't have any food in his
stomach. *So he does try to be neat about it. *:^)

Please give the canned food more of a chance. Living things are
"messy." If you don't want mess get a stuffed cat.

Believe me, I've had cats all my life. Lord knows I'm not afraid of a
mess. I was just trying to be funny. So don't be so judgmental.
Old May 23rd 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"LauraM" wrote:

Believe me, I've had cats all my life. Lord knows I'm not afraid of a
mess. I was just trying to be funny. So don't be so judgmental.

I take your point, but really, if you have had cats all your life, why
haven't you made the connection between dry food, eating fast, and barfing?

Old May 23rd 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

Default Cat Throws Up, long post!

"zob" wrote

Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
is usually much cheaper.

Lord knows I've tried feeding my cats canned food. They will
absolutely not eat it, and I've tried several different brands from
cheap to expensive. (The vet told me that *all* cats like "Fancy
Feast," and recommended it. She obviously hadn't met Yoda and Onyx,

Grin, it does happen. I've yet to have a cat who will eat the canned tuna
versions. I had one cat for a short time (rescue mommie basically, found
her a home quickly) who wouldnt eat wet canned, be she would noshe with the
best on a minced up bit of 'anytype meat tartar'.

(Yoda actually turns around, scratches the floor and
tries to bury it -- I don't have to guess what *he* thinks about it!).

LOL! Yeah, that one rescue kittie did same.

Ironically, they both *love* the moist cat food in the foil packets --
but my veterinarian told me to absolutely not feed them this; she acts
like they put poison in it. So I have no choice but to feed them dry

I''ve 'heard' that most of those have a quality lower than 'Alley Cat'.

Yoda has severe skin allergies -- apparently to the processed grains
in most dry cat foods I've found one which they both
like and do very well on: "The Goodlife Recipe;" it has only vegetables,
chicken and brown rice

Hey, works! That is what counts. When cats have allergies, the situation
changes. They probably sense that there's something in the wet, that they
can't take so refuse it.

that expensive. I'm very happy that I found something that they will
both eat -- and apparently is maintaining their coats, skin and
overall health. Yoda's skin especially has cleared up without any
further steroids; no more sores or plugs of fur coming out.

Good! Now there's only 2 things you'd want to watch and both are really
easy to solve. You are probably doing this already but it may help another?

-------------

Liquids. Cats on dry food will drink water but *may* not be drinking as
much as desired.

1- Use this as a treat, *not* to replace the regular water but to get them
to drink a little more.

2- You can enhance this a bit by adding a small dish of broth near the
water bowl. Please be sure it's a low or no-salt broth as cats and dogs are
sensitive to too much salt. Proper is about 2-3 TB per cat in a separate
dish for each so they each get to slurp up a share.
2a- Best given IMHO in the morning but then I learned this one in Japan
where they make a dashi breakfast soup and dip out a little for the cats
before adding the tofu, miso, rice, and whatever else for the rest of the 2
footed family.

3- I use a small dish with 2-3 TB dashi (a fish based one, in my case now
out of a box but it's low sodium) and sometimes home made chicken or duck
broth which we make low-salt for our own use (sodium problems on Don's
side).

4- side note, dealing with overweight kitties, we find if this is given just
before mealtime the Daisy cat fills up a bit but she doesnt later make up
for it out of her kibble bowl so, she's slowly but healthily losing weight
and as the weight comes off she's getting more active.

Fats. Your cats are probably getting some from the dry foo but it's
probably not the true meat fats nature intended. Apt to be more vegetable
derived. For a truely healthy coat and a furball remedy at the same time
(as well as aiding in the constipation some cats sporadically have on dry
food) add some fats. Unless your vet says otherwise due to a unique dietary
need for you specific kitties, this is a good thing to add.

1- It's ok to use vegetable oils but the dry food probably has some of this.
Just they dont have quite enough. A cat on wet food will be getting meat
fats, so adding olive oil (1-2ts) works for those on wet.

2- Try adding 1-2TS meat fats a day. This can be rendered bacon fat if from
low sodium bacon (a little full bacon is ok, just not every day due to the
salt), or a host of other things from your own cooking.

3- Chicken fat, partly rendered though some like it just minced and as is.
Can be the fats from the bottom of a pan after baking a chicken. (caution,
if you dryrub with seasonings before baking, skip that fat as there are
allergy concerns and probably lots of salt in the commercial rub).

4- Pork or steak fat, the parts you may be cutting off either before or
after cooking (although my husband who hasnt my cholestrol problems snaps
these up ;-) He saves a little TS or so sized bit for the cat.

5- Just store these meat fat bits or rendered 'liquid then cooled to solid'
in the fridge then add a little bit ontop of the dry kibble. Melting not
required after taking out of the fridge.

Hope those help someone!