Holly is a teenager now (Long)

Old June 14th 08, 11:29 PM posted to alt.cats,alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Karin Gillette

Default Holly is a teenager now (Long)

We took in two strays that were hanging out as kittens in our yard. (I
think because we had other outdoor "strays" we had taken in.) They are
black and we named one Zippy because she runs everywhere and the other CB
which was suppose to stand for Coal Black but as she filled out it became
more of a dark Chocolate Brown. She also cries a lot so we call her our Cry
Baby.

Black cats are lucky to me. I have had several in my life.

Our other outdoor cat is Nora and she is a calico. One of the neighbors
moved and left behind their 3 cats. Nora adopted us, one adopted a house up
the street and the 3rd one took up residence on the street behind us.

Of course Cece, I thought, was going to be white and she developed some
calico like markings. She is my indoor cat. Neko is a mix and she is
adopted my husband 13 or 14 years ago as a youngster. She is an indoor
kitty too. Cece and Neko had to learn to share with another cat 5 1/2 years
ago when we married.

Anyway, Happy Birthday Holly, many years of happiness to come!

Would not trade
. ..
Today is Holly's 13th birthday. She was still another in my string of
"happy accidents" adoptions. That is, I started out to adopt one type of
cat on each occasion, got one entirely different, and have been happy ever
since that it worked out this way. In fact, I finally learned *never* to
start out with a preconceived notion of what to look for or expect in a
cat. Go with your heart and use some thoughtfulness in the process. In
Holly's case, I went to our local animal shelter the day after
Thanksgiving. I had lost my beloved Amber shortly before and knew it was
"time" to adopt another owner. I had a few days off from work and thought
that would be an opportune time because I could spend a lot of time with
my new adoptee. However, the animal shelter was closed that day. So, I
went to our local pet supply store. They often had kittens that people
had dropped off for adoption. No such luck! There were no kittens. I
got into a conversation with one of the women who worked there and told
her what I was looking for. I was actually looking for a longhaired cat
(that was my "preconceived notion" in this case, arrived at solely because
my other cats had been longhaired and had been such wonderful companions)
and also told her that I "wouldn't mind" adopting an older cat. She said,
"Would you consider..." and proceeded to describe Holly. Holly was not
longhaired. She was about six months old, and her origins were truly sad.
She was the product of deliberate breeding where a local "breeder" (I use
the term advisedly) mixed an Oriental shorthair with a Persian. The
breeder was trying to develop a specific type of cat, and she only wanted
dusty grey kittens. Holly is definitely not dusty grey! She is glorious,
gorgeous solid black - not a single white hair on her body except for a
few that grew right at the incision site from her spay. The breeder was
going to euthanize Holly simply because she was the wrong color.
Fortunately, the woman I talked to convinced the breeder to let her take
Holly and try to find a home for her. By the time I entered the store, she
had been taking care of Holly for several months but really could not
afford to do that, on top of her own cats. So, I made arrangements to see
Holly the next day, and "the rest is history," as they say. Ironically,
she seemed to be shorthair when I adopted her, but her coat changed to an
unusually thick, plush, velvety medium length as she matured. Her name
was also Jinx at the time I adopted her, named because she was black and a
"bad luck cat." That was unacceptable to me! I believe every cat should
have a loving name. So, she became Holly - short for "holiday cat," so
named because she was adopted in between the Thanksgiving and Christmas
holidays. I drove back to the store about a week after I adopted Holly
and gave the woman who had taken care of Holly and gave her a check. She
was hesitant at first, but I told her I would have paid a similar amount
to adopt through an animal shelter, and she had literally saved Holly's
life. She was so grateful it almost made me cry.

I wrote the following for Holly's12th birthday, and I would like to repeat
it for her again this year: Holly is a special, loving girl - my little
shadow, she follows me everywhere. I wake up every morning to find her
close beside me. Sometimes she will awaken me by gently licking the tip
of my nose (she seems to have a built-in alarm clock because she somehow
does that about 5 minutes before my own alarm goes off). Other times, she
will be stretched out on top of me, and I will not even have been aware of
when she did that. She believes it is one of her duties to march back in
forth in front of the computer monitor as soon as I sit down in front of
the computer. After all, she doesn't want her slave to work too hard
(unless it involves something especially for her).

She is still playful and active and can gracefully leap to the mantel
without any problem at all. There are times when I will suddenly realize
that she is sitting on the arm of the chair or even on the back of the
chair above my head, and I was not even aware of her climbing or jumping
onto the chair. She is incredibly agile and graceful.

Holly has never been a lap cat, although she is always within a few feet
of wherever I am when I am home. In the past, she would occasionally
deign to get into my lap, but it was always on her terms and at a time she
chose. However, I have noticed that there have been some recent, subtle
changes. She is getting into my lap more often and will stay longer.

Princess Holly was adopted on Nov. 24, 1995, and she has ruled the
household ever since (duties that she has shared with Prince Duffy for the
last five years). The two of them have brought an immeasurable amount of
joy into my life.

Here are four photos I took this week to celebrate her 13th birthday:
http://tinyurl.com/5w5n3w. (Click on the thumbnails in the left column to
enlarge the picture.)

MaryL

Holly the lap cat MaryL Cat anecdotes 1 October 6th 05 02:28 AM
The Truth About Holly [email protected] Cat anecdotes 51 February 22nd 05 04:20 AM
Holly Update Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 8 February 21st 05 03:29 AM
Holly - second day after surgery CatNipped Cat anecdotes 3 February 16th 05 10:27 AM
am a teenager! Hazel Cat anecdotes 15 December 12th 03 09:43 PM