Can Fancy fat cat contest cancelled

Old December 11th 04, 03:26 AM
Phil P.

"Mary" wrote in message
I just received this email. It was in response to one which I sent weeks

ago.
Power to the people on the internet!

Subject: Fat Cat Contest Clarification
Date: 12/10/04 4:46:06 PM Pacific Standard Time

From this point forward, we are canceling the "Fishing for Fat Cats"
contest, and replacing it with the Weight-Loss Challenge, in which

participants
will have to involve their veterinarian.
Susan Logan, Editor

Oh no! Cat Fancy went from bad to worse! Now people with overweight and
obese cats will be putting their cats on crash weight-loss diets sending
many cats into hepatic lipidosis.

Even though Logan said "participants will have to involve their
veterinarian", there will still be many people who will "speed up" the
lengthy weight loss process because they want their cats to win so badly.
Most cat people don't know the consequences of rapid weight loss in cats and
have never heard of hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver syndrome.

I haven't seen the details of the "contest" so I don't know exactly what
"participants will have to involve their veterinarian" actually means. I
suspect the cats' "starting" and "finishing weight" will need to be
documented by a vet -- which does not mean the weight loss program will be
supervised by a vet. Most vets routinely weigh their clients' cat at every
office visit - which is not my idea of a managed weight-loss program.

I guess we'll have to wait to read the details and requirements of the
contest. Or *we* can send Logan an email warning her of the possible (and
probable) consequences of Cat Fancy's ill-advised contest.

Phil

Old December 11th 04, 06:36 PM

Wow, this is amazing. There must have really been some response to that
contest! I haven't received a reply to my email, but their web site
does state is doesn't reply to individual emails. I wonder if there
will still be cash prizes?

Rene

Old December 14th 04, 05:24 PM
Yngver

Date: 12/10/04 4:46:06 PM Pacific Standard Time

From this point forward, we are canceling the "Fishing for Fat Cats"
contest, and replacing it with the Weight-Loss Challenge, in which

participants
will have to involve their veterinarian.
Susan Logan, Editor

Oh no! Cat Fancy went from bad to worse! Now people with overweight and
obese cats will be putting their cats on crash weight-loss diets sending
many cats into hepatic lipidosis.

Even though Logan said "participants will have to involve their
veterinarian", there will still be many people who will "speed up" the
lengthy weight loss process because they want their cats to win so badly.

To win $200 (first prize) or $100 (second prize)? Seems like there are easier
contests in Cat Fancy to win than that one.

Most cat people don't know the consequences of rapid weight loss in cats and
have never heard of hepatic lipidosis or fatty liver syndrome.

True, and I hope Cat Fancy mentions this when they print the new rules.

Date: 12/10/04 4:46:06 PM Pacific Standard Time

From this point forward, we are canceling the "Fishing for Fat Cats"
contest, and replacing it with the Weight-Loss Challenge, in which

participants
will have to involve their veterinarian.
Susan Logan, Editor

Oh no! Cat Fancy went from bad to worse! Now people with overweight and
obese cats will be putting their cats on crash weight-loss diets sending
many cats into hepatic lipidosis.

Even though Logan said "participants will have to involve their
veterinarian", there will still be many people who will "speed up" the
lengthy weight loss process because they want their cats to win so badly.

To win $200 (first prize) or $100 (second prize)? Seems like there are

easier
contests in Cat Fancy to win than that one.

Its not for the money, its the principal of *their cat winning*...
something, anything.
Don't forget, a lot people think obese cats are "cute"...

They should ****-can the whole idea.