Calming a Pet: Mom is getting more desperate, I'm getting more anxious

Old May 6th 08, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Calming a Pet: Mom is getting more desperate, I'm getting more anxious

So... I just placed a call to Persia's vet.

I want to find out if he thinks something like Rescue Remedy will help keep
her calm in what will amount to a two or three leg journey (with stays in
pet-friendly motels), me driving us about 700 miles.

A local farmer's market advertises an herbal thing called 'Peaceful Pet', an
herbal thing. Says it can be used in addition to Rescue Remedy. But I've
no idea what is in this. And the fact that she says it can be used in
addition to Rescue Remedy tells me, it's probably a bunch of hooey. It
simply says what is listed below:

http://www.localharvest.org/store/item.jsp?id=4542

A tincture of WHAT? It doesn't say. Besides, it's sold at our farmer's
market? Oh, but you can buy it online.

Herbalists are a dime a dozen. I'm all for herbals; I take St. John's Wort
when I'm stressed. When I can't sleep, Valerian root or valieriana tea.
Doesn't mean giving some "tincture" to my cat. Which also works with Rescue
Remedy? So, which one is doing what?

I'm waiting for a call back from the vet to find out what he recommends.
He's had time to observe Persia since 2002. (She actually showed up in 2001
but that vet left the practice.) He called in a surgeon to do her bladder
surgery for crystal oxolates in 2004. He's been around for all her
subsequent boardings. He knows Persia. So I'd like to hear what he has to
say.

One thing I worry about is getting her into a motel and her yowling all
night, keeping the other customers awake. Pet-friendly or not, I'm not sure
how they'd take that if she did it.

I don't know for sure that she'd do that, but she might. Maybe she wouldn't
as she could snuggle up with me. On the other hand, she might cower in the
bathroom or under the bed. I just don't know.

Persia seems pretty resiliant to me, but I've never put her under this
particular stress before. Travelling. She's no Harry Roadcat! Then to be
introduced into my Mom's house. Everything all different.

What bothers me the most is the thought of a long car trip with her shut in
her Sherpa bag. I don't want her to think this is a really long trip to a
vet. She gets (understandably) upset when the bag means "trip to the vet".
But we're talking 700 miles here.

I hope her vet can give me some ideas, like Rescue Remedy might help soothe
her. I should be getting a phone call back in the next 30 minutes. He's
good like that.

Jill

Old May 6th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobblespin

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

[...]

On a side note, but you probably already thought of it: have both your
address and your mom's on her collar in case she escapes the car or
motel (and both phone numbers). If she doesn't already wear a collar, it
might be a good idea to get her used to one right away.

Bobble

Old May 6th 08, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

bobblespin wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in
:

So... I just placed a call to Persia's vet.

I want to find out if he thinks something like Rescue Remedy will
help keep her calm in what will amount to a two or three leg journey
(with stays in pet-friendly motels), me driving us about 700 miles.

On a side note, but you probably already thought of it: have both
your address and your mom's on her collar in case she escapes the car
or motel (and both phone numbers). If she doesn't already wear a
collar, it might be a good idea to get her used to one right away.

Bobble

Oh yeah, she wears a collar with a tag with my phone number and her name on
it. She fought me initially about a collar in 2001. It was obvious she'd
never worn a collar. She kept shucking it over her head. I persisted, you
*will* wear this. She gave in She doesn't mind the collar. And she
looks so pretty in it!

http://tinyurl.com/5atk5b

It's a red breakaway collar with a bell and her tag. Oh, and she was licking
her nose Her S-hook connection to the tag actually got caught in my
blanket in January. She was able to break-away from that collar rather than
stay hooked. I need a new, less-loose knit blanket.

I don't have time to remake a tag with both addresses, but she's
microchipped with my information. That was since her "great escape" shortly
after she came to me.

Jill

Old May 6th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Normin

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

can you set up a larger cage in the back seat of the car and give
her more room and a different enclosure during the ride so she
won't associate it with a visit to TED? maybe large enough to
accomodate a litter box, and pillow for her. We traveled like
that with a cat a few years ago, tho we found we had to cover the
cage with a large towel because he was seeing 'too' much but
being able to see us in the front seat comforted him. (btw, he
meowed a lot and was 'pathetic'... until we ignored him. Then
he'd start poking us with his paw! once he had our attention
again, he'd start meowing again. silly boy)

Sara

Old May 6th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

jmcquown wrote:
So... I just placed a call to Persia's vet.

I want to find out if he thinks something like Rescue Remedy will
help keep her calm in what will amount to a two or three leg journey
(with stays in pet-friendly motels), me driving us about 700 miles.

Well he was no help. He asked if I could pill Persia. Well, sure, I can.
I know how and have done it. Has some sort of pill, or something he says he
could distill in liquid for me to give her if that's easier.

I said, Doc, I don't want to knock her out, I just want her to not be
anxious the entire trip. We're talking 12-13 hours. I'll be on the road
and with her in a car for 2-3 days. Checking into motels, etc.

I was asking about known herbal remedies you might recommend (or not). He
said "Oh, well I have nothing against herbals. They may or may not work."
In other words, YMMV.

Great, thanks. Why am I not comforted? And my brother who promised to take
care of Peaches just went out of town on business. Oh great. He thinks you
can leave a cat alone for 3-4 days. So he's a great one to leave a small
parrot with.

I don't want to go to SC right now. It's just not right. I have to make
sure my animals are taken care of. But I'll feel so terribly guilty if
something happens to my mother in the interim. Dammit.

Jill

Old May 6th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
[...]

It sounds as though you're between a rock and a hard place. You'd also feel
guilty if your animals weren't properly taken care of and something happened
to one of them. Nobody but you can make the decision. I hope you've been
able to talk with your mother's doctor about how she is really doing. From
here, it seems as though she's pressuring you and trying to make you feel
guilty. In that case, my inclination would be to wait until you can make
sure the animals are cared for. However, you are the one who has to decide.

I remember when I was growing up, I couldn't wait to be old enough to make
my own decisions. I can't count the number of times since I grew up when I
wished I didn't have to make my own decisions.

My sympathy is with you, whatever you decide.

(((((((Jill)))))))

Joy

Old May 6th 08, 11:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I've driven 1,000 miles with cats twice.

Smokey doesn't give two cares about being in hotels or cars. Nocturne
gets cranky and makes a surly meatloaf, ignoring everyone and sulking,
but if left in peace she does okay. Kumani and Tyche cry and scream a
lot, and hide in hotel closets. We didn't give them any sedatives or
herbal remedies, though about a month after the second move we got
Feliway to help the kittens chill out. (The first move they were only
6 weeks old and I don't think they really understood they were in a
car for 2 days.)

We got them large carriers that would fit a small litter pan in the
back so they could have a litter box available during the ride, plus a
place to sit outside of the litter, plus water. We put a shade
covering on the kittens who were agitated by sight out the windows.

I would get the pill but only use it if Persia shows distress. The
first move, we had pills for the cats but Nox and Smokey didn't need
them.

Good luck,

Fil

So... I just placed a call to Persia's vet.

Old May 7th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
nik Simpson

jmcquown wrote:

Persia seems pretty resiliant to me, but I've never put her under this
particular stress before. Travelling. She's no Harry Roadcat! Then to be
introduced into my Mom's house. Everything all different.

What bothers me the most is the thought of a long car trip with her shut in
her Sherpa bag. I don't want her to think this is a really long trip to a
vet. She gets (understandably) upset when the bag means "trip to the vet".
But we're talking 700 miles here.

Could you partition the car and let her loose in the back, my three all
spent two days in the back of my car when I moved from northern Alabama
to southern Florida a few years ago. It was the first time they'd ever
spent any length of time in the car and they took it pretty well.

--
Nik Simpson
Old May 7th 08, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I have travelled frequently with cats (one cat at at time, that is). I
drove every summer from Texas to Ohio and back, always accompanied by my
cat. I have done this with three different cats, and all travelled
beautifully. All disliked it for the first few miles, then settled down,
curled up and went to sleep. They would periodically get up, stretch a bit,
etc. I travelled the first few years with the cat out of a carrier (didn't
know any better then), and my cat would curl up right beside me. I did rig
up a "seat belt" so the cat could not get to my feet. Now that I use
carriers, I drape a towell over the carrier. That seems to calm them,
especially if a cat that is nervous around traffic. I keep a spray can of
Feliway, and I spray the carrier about 20 minutes before starting out for
the day.

I always *carefully* check the motel room to make sure (1) there are no
holes that could provide an exit -- once, I found such a large hole under
the bathroom sink that a cat could easily end up in the wall, and (2) no
poisons. As soon as possible, I bring in the litter box and put out food
and water. I keep extra paper towels on hand for cleanup, and I spread a
newspaper under the litter box to catch some of the litter that invariably
gets scattered. I also travel with a small portable vacuum cleaner. I
leave an extra tip for the maid, but I think I do such a good job of
vacuuming any signs of litter that there really is no sign that a cat was in
the room.

MaryL