Bobby is getting a new friend tomorrow

Old March 8th 08, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default Bobby is getting a new friend tomorrow

"yepp" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 9:44 pm, "Granby" wrote:
It is all wonderful but the declawing and then allowed to get
out."jofirey" wrote in message

"yepp" wrote in message
and she is a girl
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/lync_jl/cat3.jpg

And this is Bobby:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oys/bobby4.jpg

Someone emailed me and said she was a stray. She crawled into their
baby's bedroom window one night. They immediately took her to the vet
and scanned for a microchip. Nothing. The couple didn't want to keep
her so they didn't get any shots or tests for her.

All this happened about a month ago and fliers were posted, vet and
shelters contacted, etc. No one has come forward.

The vet said she is about 5, missing a couple teeth, has some bad
matting, has been spayed and is DECLAWED on all 4 feet!

She is friendly, loves kids and people. Likes to be petted.

She gets car sick and I have an hour drive to get her. Bobby will be
so surprised! They look like twins!

I'm so happy for you and Bobby. She is lovely.

And I'm so happy for her, finding a home that knows how to take care of
her lovely self.

Jo

I know! All I can think of is this poor girl climbed into a window of
a 6-mo. old baby's room. Who knows how long she was outside. She
climbed in and the parents immediately took her to the vets for a
microchip check.

This cat loves the baby they have. She walks up to the baby and lays
down right beside her on the floor and lets the baby grab and pull at
her all she wants.

Maybe, the owners of this cat had a newborn and declawed her to
protect the newborn from infections and cuts? That is all I can come
up with. I don't think I can imagine any reason for declawing a cat
on all 4 paws.

Sadly I can. Its called a decorator cat in a house with nice furniture.
Trouble is the more you try to stop a cat from being destructive, the more
destructive it becomes. They couldn't handle the concept of one of their
valuable acquisitions trying to destroy their other valuable acquisitions.

I'm quite sure she was just adorable as a kitten. And probably a holy
terror when she was eight or ten months old. They got more than they
bargained for and then didn't have the good sense to celebrate her instead
of trying to change her.

Fortunately, she had the good cat sense to land on her paws.

Jo

Old March 8th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

"yepp" wrote in message
[...]

Jo,

I don't know her history but what you portray is dismal. She may have
been the cat of an HIV patient or someone with an immunity disorder
that could not under any circumstances handle any scratch or cut.
Some old person or an infant with a disease. Someone with a disease
that wanted a cat as a companion and under doctor's orders got her
declawed.

I am not promoting declawing in any way but it has been brought to my
attention that a cancer patient had to have her cat declawed due to
this same situation or get rid of the cat and they decided to declaw.
So, there is a world for all.
Old March 8th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

yepp wrote:

and she is a girl
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/lync_jl/cat3.jpg

And this is Bobby:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oys/bobby4.jpg

She's really gorgeous! And she does look just like Bobby - at first
I didn't understand your post and I thought they were the same cat. Of
course, that's because I didn't read the entire post (helps to do that!),
so when I got to the end where you said Bobby was going to be surprised,
they look like twins, then I got it.

You're going to have people asking you for the next who knows how
many years if they were littermates. Or not even asking, just assuming.

Congratulations!!

Joyce
Old March 8th 08, 05:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

On Mar 8, 12:38 am, wrote:
yepp wrote:

and she is a girl
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/lync_jl/cat3.jpg

And this is Bobby:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...oys/bobby4.jpg

She's really gorgeous! And she does look just like Bobby - at first
I didn't understand your post and I thought they were the same cat. Of
course, that's because I didn't read the entire post (helps to do that!),
so when I got to the end where you said Bobby was going to be surprised,
they look like twins, then I got it.

You're going to have people asking you for the next who knows how
many years if they were littermates. Or not even asking, just assuming.

Congratulations!!

Joyce

Thanks Joyce. I am excited to get her tomorrow.. Declawed and all.
We will cope. Bobby is 13 and she is around 5. I also have plans to
get a kitten (Flame Point) from a breeder in mid-June. I have been
trying to find a Flame Point since Casey died and I ended up with a
breeder. He or she hasn't been born yet.

I don't know if I'll carry through with the kitten yet. This girl was
unexpected.
Old March 8th 08, 05:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

yepp wrote:

I don't know her history but what you portray is dismal. She may have
been the cat of an HIV patient or someone with an immunity disorder
that could not under any circumstances handle any scratch or cut.
Some old person or an infant with a disease. Someone with a disease
that wanted a cat as a companion and under doctor's orders got her
declawed.

These are all legitimate issues, but if you're immune-compromised and
can't risk scratches, yet you want a cat, why not look for a cat that's
*already* declawed, instead of mutilating yet another one? Lord knows
there are plenty of them at the shelters.

I'm not yelling at you, just at the people who unthinkingly declaw a
cat before trying to come up with another solution.

BTW, I took in a stray cat a few years back, and I found her a new
home - with a guy who had AIDS. Not just HIV, but full-blown AIDS.
He lived alone and he wanted a companion. Because he was living in
subsidized housing for AIDS patients, and because he had people to
come in and help with things like housework, shopping, and taking
care of a pet, if he had one, I felt OK about letting him take her.
People can live a long time with that disease so I decided I wasn't
going to worry about her outliving him.

But she did have a cranky side, along with a full set of death razors.
When you did something that annoyed her (and of course, it was
impossible to tell what would annoy her from one moment to the next),
she would slash out. I warned him about this, many times. I made sure
he understood that he *was* going to get scratched. He wasn't alarmed
about it.

A week after he took her, I called to see how they were getting along,
and he said, "Yup, she scratched me alright, and she drew blood." But
his only concern was that the cat might catch HIV by being exposed to
his blood. (I explained that the "H" part of "HIV" guaranteed that she
wouldn't. )

Anyway, I know there are other reasons why people might not want to
get cat scratches - diabetics having to watch out for the feet, for
example, as well as the examples you pointed out. But I just wanted to
say that HIV doesn't have to mean you can't have a cat, or a even cat
with intact claws.

Joyce

Old March 8th 08, 06:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
yepp

On Mar 8, 12:52 am, wrote:
yepp wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joyce. I don't know what this cat's history is as I am just
guessing why she is declawed. I didn't declaw her. I don't even have
her yet. I am planning on getting her tomorrow.
Old March 8th 08, 06:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

yepp wrote:

Thanks Joyce. I don't know what this cat's history is as I am just
guessing why she is declawed. I didn't declaw her. I don't even have
her yet. I am planning on getting her tomorrow.

Like I said, I wasn't yelling at you. And I know you didn't declaw
her! I have nothing against people adopting declawed cats.

Joyce

--
To send email to this address, remove the triple-X from my user name.
Old March 8th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
tanadashoes

"yepp" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 11:55 pm, "jofirey" wrote:

I don't know her history but what you portray is dismal. She may have
been the cat of an HIV patient or someone with an immunity disorder
that could not under any circumstances handle any scratch or cut.
Some old person or an infant with a disease. Someone with a disease
that wanted a cat as a companion and under doctor's orders got her
declawed.

I am not promoting declawing in any way but it has been brought to my
attention that a cancer patient had to have her cat declawed due to
this same situation or get rid of the cat and they decided to declaw.
So, there is a world for all.

The doctors wanted me to get all of ours declawed because of Rob's cancer.
Fortunately we both refused. I said I'd rather re-home them, and Rob said
that none of the cats were going any where and none were getting de-clawed.
The doctors moaned and wailed, but Rob prevailed and we have them all still
and still with claws intact.

Pam S.

Old March 8th 08, 09:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

I don't know her history but what you portray is dismal. *She may have
been the cat of an HIV patient or someone with an immunity disorder
that could not under any circumstances handle any scratch or cut.
Some old person or an infant with a disease. *Someone with a disease
that wanted a cat as a companion and under doctor's orders got her
declawed.

I am not promoting declawing in any way but it has been brought to my
attention that a cancer patient had to have her cat declawed due to
this same situation or get rid of the cat and they decided to declaw.
So, there is a world for all.

I'm not having a go at you, because I know your views on declawing and
I am so please for you and the new girl landing on her paws in such a
great home, but the declawing a cat because of cance/HIV is complete
and utter ********. I'm not disputing it happened, but it's a bullsh*t
excuse.

There is a reason declawing is BANNED in half the worlds countries.

Helen M

Old March 8th 08, 11:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Hope it was a wake up call for the parents to make the baby's room a little
more secure. Could have been some other non friendly critter, like a human.
"tanadashoes" wrote in message

"yepp" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 9:44 pm, "Granby" wrote:
It is all wonderful but the declawing and then allowed to get
out."jofirey" wrote in message

I know! All I can think of is this poor girl climbed into a window of
a 6-mo. old baby's room. Who knows how long she was outside. She
climbed in and the parents immediately took her to the vets for a
microchip check.

This cat loves the baby they have. She walks up to the baby and lays
down right beside her on the floor and lets the baby grab and pull at
her all she wants.

Maybe, the owners of this cat had a newborn and declawed her to
protect the newborn from infections and cuts? That is all I can come
up with. I don't think I can imagine any reason for declawing a cat
on all 4 paws.

I can't think of a good reason to declaw a cat at all. Nope, I don't want
to start up that old saw again. Neither side is going to convince the
other and it is just a waste of breath.

Congrats on your new owner. We're sending over purrs and good thoughts
for her and Bobby to get along together and become bestest friends. They
are both very beautiful and will be a lot of work, though it will be worth
it. Has she a name yet?

Pam S. for the whole Fayetteville Mafia