Minor (hopefully) purrs needed

Old March 11th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jofirey

Default Minor (hopefully) purrs needed

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
I hurt my knee a few weeks ago. I'm not really certain how, but it's
gotten worse and I've finally gone to the doctor. X-rays didn't show
anything wrong with the bones, but there may be some tears in the
meniscus. So I'm going for an MRI today and a follow-up with the doctor on
Thursday to evaluate.
Could I get a few purrs that this is nothing serious? And if I can be
greedy, that I may be able to play in my tennis tournament this weekend?
It's the very first tournament I enter and I'm very excited about it. Tom
is threatening to call the doctor himself and tell him to forbid me from
playing tennis. I know I need to be careful, but I'm hoping a knee brace
and taking it easy will be sufficient.

First purrs for your knee to be just a minor injury. But even if worse
comes to worst, surgery for this now-a-days is done laparoscopically and
usually requires a small amount of healing and/or rehabilitation.

Second - having suffered for years with a knee injury I made worse by
ignoring, I can tell you this categorically - you WILL regret having
exercised on an injured knee. I have had pain in my knee almost every day
of my life after I hit 45. You don't understand how it is to live with
knee pain since you don't really realize how often you put stress on your
knee in your every day life (at least until it starts hurting every time
you rise or walk). Please take it easy and forgo the short-term pleasure
of your tennis match for the long-term complete recovery of you injury.

Hugs,

CatNipped

What she said.

My right knee hurts every time I bend it. Even if I'm just sitting on the
sofa and move into a different position to get comfortable.

You only have two knees and really need them both. There will be other
tennis tournaments.

Jo

Old March 11th 08, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Victor Martinez wrote:
I hurt my knee a few weeks ago. I'm not really certain how, but it's
gotten worse and I've finally gone to the doctor. X-rays didn't show
anything wrong with the bones, but there may be some tears in the
meniscus. So I'm going for an MRI today and a follow-up with the doctor
on Thursday to evaluate.
Could I get a few purrs that this is nothing serious? And if I can be
greedy, that I may be able to play in my tennis tournament this weekend?
It's the very first tournament I enter and I'm very excited about it.
Tom is threatening to call the doctor himself and tell him to forbid me
from playing tennis. I know I need to be careful, but I'm hoping a knee
brace and taking it easy will be sufficient.

I had a torn meniscus about eighteen years ago. After several weeks of
pain that got no better (nor worse, thank goodness) I finally saw an
orthopedist. He told me there was no "cure" but surgery, which he would
definitely recommend if I were younger. (Apparently there's quite
lengthy rehab involved.) Had I been older, he would have advised me to
live with it, but he said at the age I was then, it was pretty much a
matter of choice - how much discomfort was I willing to put up with.
I thought it over for a few months, discovered the pain was sometimes
severe, sometimes non-existent. I used a kind of knee-brace called a
"Cho-pat" for several years (it's a padded strap that fits around the
leg just below the knee, and is designed to keep the knee cap in its
proper place). Eventually it healed itself (although I had thought
cartilage doesn't heal). In any case, although I sometimes have lots of
stiffness in my joints, especially after a long session at the computer,
the knee seems as good as it ever was.

If your problem IS a torn meniscus, be guided by the degree of pain it
causes to use the knee. Like everything else, there are evidently
different degrees of severity, so you might be able to play your
tournament if you're willing to put up with the pain. (But of course,
let your doctor have the final say.)

Old March 11th 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jofirey" wrote in
:

..

[...]

What _they_ said. You could always play tennis after the knee calms
down.

Don't screw with knees. You gonna need them for a while.

Andy
Old March 12th 08, 01:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Victor Martinez wrote:
I hurt my knee a few weeks ago. I'm not really certain how, but it's
gotten worse and I've finally gone to the doctor. X-rays didn't show
anything wrong with the bones, but there may be some tears in the
meniscus. So I'm going for an MRI today and a follow-up with the doctor
on Thursday to evaluate.
Could I get a few purrs that this is nothing serious? And if I can be
greedy, that I may be able to play in my tennis tournament this weekend?
It's the very first tournament I enter and I'm very excited about it.
Tom is threatening to call the doctor himself and tell him to forbid me
from playing tennis. I know I need to be careful, but I'm hoping a knee
brace and taking it easy will be sufficient.

Purrs for it to be nothing serious and purrs for Tom calling the doc
about not playing. Yikes - being the owner of two completely trashed
knees DON'T DO IT!!!!!! I am a runner at heart and can never run again.
There are few things that I regret in life but ignoring my knee pain
repeatedly is one of them.

Back then I didn't have a purring cat to set on them to heal them though ;-)

Susan M
Otis and CHester
Old March 12th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Victor Martinez wrote:
I hurt my knee a few weeks ago. I'm not really certain how, but it's
gotten worse and I've finally gone to the doctor. X-rays didn't show
anything wrong with the bones, but there may be some tears in the
meniscus. So I'm going for an MRI today and a follow-up with the doctor
on Thursday to evaluate.
Could I get a few purrs that this is nothing serious? And if I can be
greedy, that I may be able to play in my tennis tournament this weekend?
It's the very first tournament I enter and I'm very excited about it.
Tom is threatening to call the doctor himself and tell him to forbid me
from playing tennis. I know I need to be careful, but I'm hoping a knee
brace and taking it easy will be sufficient.

Purrs on the way for it to be easily corrected. And tell Tom to hide
your blasted tennis racket until you know what's going on with your knee.

Sam, supervised by Mistletoe
Old March 12th 08, 11:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Outsider wrote:
What _they_ said. You could always play tennis after the knee calms
down.

Don't screw with knees. You gonna need them for a while.

Ok, ok.... geez... you'd think I was asking if it was ok to spank my
cats or something.... Just kidding. I appreciate the concern and I
know in the back of my mind you are all right.
I was not able to make my MRI appointment yesterday (big crisis at work,
I was at the office until 10:30pm), but I managed to move it to today.
Knee feels a bit better today, but I'm going to wait and see what the
actual damage is.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old March 13th 08, 06:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=

"Outsider"
"jofirey" .

[...]

I agree with all the above.
I had both my knees replaced in Dec 2001, then got into a BAD car wreck in
May of 2002, and they were re-injured. Now they both feel like they're
broken, and I'm in intense pain all my waking hours. I have to use my
4-wheeled walker when I go outside, or I'll fall down and I sure don't want
a broken hip. You take care of your knees, forget about playing tennis for
awhile, and we're sending you many PURRS that you'll be okay.
Having bum knees hurt like crazy, so take good care of them.
Kyla
--and cranky Clowder