Incorrigible Peeing Problem - ideas?

Old October 2nd 03, 07:14 PM
Gail

Default Incorrigible Peeing Problem - ideas?

Take her to see a vet who is knowledgeable about cats.She may have
interstitial cystitis which causes painful urination. Medication is very
helpful for this conditon. I suspect her problem is medical. You must also
clean up the areas where she has urinated with an enzyme cleaner so she
doesn't smell the area and is drawn back to it.
Gail
"Cat Owner" wrote in message
Hello -

The problem is one of our four indoors cats.

This cat, Sheba, is a female stray that I adopted and raised as a very
small (6 weeks) kitten to adulthood. Sheba is now just under 5 years
old, is in apparent good health, and has no other behavioral problems.

This cat is an extremely persistent pee-er outside the box. It is an
intermittent but persistent behavior that we really can't get to the
bottom of.

She does not "mark" vertical or freestanding objects with a spray.
Rather, she always pees on horizontal surfaces on furniture, bedding,
cushions, pillows, futon. It's only a matter of time before she has an
eye for our $800 sofa.

As stated, there is *no* apparent cause of her "accidents". She has no
problems with going to the bathroom otherwise. She gets plenty of
attention and love, and plays quite often. She in turn is extremely
loving and attention-seeking.

We've been using Feliway plugins AND spray. She just soaked a
comforter on an extra bed that I sprayed with Feliway several times
over the last week, where a 1/2 full plugin is right next to the bed
in the wall socket.

One thing of note. When she was a kitten, I tended to keep her in the
basement and the garage for long periods. I later found places she
"marked". And she apparently went into heat at around 9 months and
"did" the bed right before I got her fixed. One thought is that she
got used to semi-wild behaviors as a kitten and will never change.

I am suspecting some sort of medical problem due to its persistence,
but I am open to other interpretations.

What the hell do I do? Resign myself to a house that's an open cat
p*ss toilet? Or keep this one cat in a steel cage because she can't
ever be trusted?

Or has anyone had a cat do this and had a latent problem diagnosed?

As I said, this cat is quite loved and doesn't suffer from lack of
attention.

Thanks!

Old October 3rd 03, 12:24 AM
Karen

in article , Cat Owner at
wrote on 10/2/03 12:24 PM:

[...]

The first thing you Always do is check for a urinary tract infection or
other medical problem at the vets.

Karen

Old October 4th 03, 08:28 AM
Jaguar

Problems other than with the urinary tract can be the cause of a cat not
using the litter box. Pain for one. Have the teeth been examined for
decay, bleeding gums, tartar? Is it possible that the cat has arthritis?
How's her vision? Her ears? Is she getting enough attention? Think
along all possible lines so as not to limit yourself. Very often the cat
is trying to tell you something. Usually it's a health problem. Other
times something changed in the cat's life that made it unhappy or
insecure. Has a loved one left? Is the cat alone all day?

Karen wrote:
in article , Cat Owner at
wrote on 10/2/03 2:22 PM:

Gail,

Thaks for the lead and specific syndrome name. Our regular vet (a
"country doc") has examined her (no biopsy, tho) and indicated that he
believes that Sheba's problem is 100% behavioral.

Funny thing is, another one of our cats had a similar problem but was
given to straining while urinating and spotting on surfaces outside
the box; actually left some blood, too. She was diagnosed by the vet
as having a uirnary tract infection. Medicine and a change of diet
resulted in a *perfect* recovery and never a relapse.

I hope it's that easy with this cat!

Straining does not have to occur for it to be the problem. I hope you get
her in soon.

Karen