Severe Scratching-cleopatra

Old March 13th 05, 05:52 AM
Brant j via CatKB.com

Default Severe Scratching-cleopatra

Hey all new to the board, desperate for answers.

Hey all i've got a siamese cat 3 or 4 years old. good cat well behaved(ish)
love her to death. she's spayed of course. we also own her brother(neutered)
, his son (neutered) and daughter(for sale), and his "wife" (soon to be
spayed). 5 cats in total.

anyways she's the only one out of the bunch that is scratching so much it's
created open wounds. all around her face and bottom. she was being treated
with a 12mg dose of depo for allergies which works well for two months, but
this damages her liver and we have to take her off soon.

we tried switching to variety of foods all dry, we just heard about trying
wet food, so we're trying this next.

any suggestions to what the underlying cause is?????

signed desperate

Old March 13th 05, 06:06 AM

we tried switching to variety of foods all
dry, we just heard about trying wet food,
so we're trying this next.

The majority of dry foods contain corn and this is a common allergen
that can cause the symptoms you're seeing. I have several cats that
react extemely badly to corn and one in particular suffered with hair
loss over his entire face and severe scratching. I feed high quality
canned now and ave had no problems for a long, long time. Unless you do
an elimination diet you won't know what the issue is, however going to a
*grain free* canned diet is a good first step. Wellness is an excellent
choice and is free of corn and grains. I would start out with just the
chicken and turkey flavors and see how things go. It can take many weeks
to see improvement so you have to be patient. You can find where to buy
Wellness he
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/loca...cator_form.asp
A good book you might want to also check out is this one:

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing