Getting cat to use scratching post?

Old November 20th 03, 09:52 AM
~*SooZy*~

"GreyTabbyLover" wrote in message
Maybe try to put some Catnip spray on the scratching post, that might help

..

yes that worked for one of my cats......

I also read once about drawing a line from the top of the post to the
bottom... not sure why but some people claimed it worked?????

my 4 week old kittens already use a scratch post, and the sisal mouse toys
we have.
--
Luv'n'Stuff
*~*SooZy*~*

Old November 24th 03, 09:10 AM
Marek Williams

Maybe try to put some Catnip spray on the scratching post, that might help

yes that worked for one of my cats......

I read about that tip from someone else in here, and I just used it on
my new cat. Worked great.

Actually, he's a used cat, not new, although a reasonably late model.
Met him at the county animal shelter and he just insisted that I be
his new papa. He's in the middle of acclimatization to his new house
and doing wonderfully.

As for the scratching post, he had been living in a steel cage for the
past month at the shelter, so I can understand that he feels a real
need to scratch. Steel just doesn't cut it as a scratching material.
On the first day he scratched on my computer chair (which earned him a
swift swat and a loud NO!). He ran off and hid for a bit afterwards.
Then I heard a noise from the living room and he was scratching the
top of the couch. Another loud NO! and he ran off and hid again.

Then I decided I'd really better get a scratching post. I drove to the
local PetSmart, but everything they had looked ridiculously overpriced
and ugly as well. I ended up going to Home Depot instead, thinking
maybe I would just make one. I looked all over the store for carpet
remnants, but didn't find any. Then I wandered through the lumber
section and discovered rough-sawn cedar fencing boards. I bought four
of them that were six feet long and 5.5 inches wide. I took them home
and cut them in half, making eight 3-foot long boards, then nailed
four into a hollow square, repeating with the other four (planning to
make two scratching posts). Then I used some scrap plywood I had to
make a base and a top shelf for each post. They came out really great
and the fencing boards only cost about $8.

But the cat ignored my fine handcrafted scratching posts, so I rubbed
some catnip on them. That did it. He went nuts scratching on them. So
far he has come back to scratch on them a couple times when I was in
the next room, and he has not scratched on the furniture at all since.
So thanks to the person who suggested using catnip to train a cat to
use a scratching post. It seems to have done the trick.

If anyone needs a scratching post, rough-sawn fence boards are cheap
and the cats love them. After all, in the wild they use trees to
scratch on, so it's probably more natural and effective than carpeting
or sisal. Cedar is a very soft wood that is perfect. You wouldn't even
need to make them into a fancy post like I did -- just buy the board
and lean it against a wall.

More about my used cat later.

--
Bogus e-mail address, but I read this newsgroup regularly, so reply here.