how to stop them from straching funiture? Help Please

Old July 16th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

Default how to stop them from straching funiture? Help Please

as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2 (litter
mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch

they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still use, the
other just goes straight up and is more than tall enough and the 3rd
is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm 5ft with plently of room
to strach

I live in a small 2 bdrm place

I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books I've
read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home 24/7 I
can't do that

be damned If I cover the thine in plastic, but I can put it against
the wall to limits their area to get at
is there anything I can cover the sides with?

with the old one I tried those plastic mats you use during winter and
used unholestry tacks to keep them up no matter what I did the plastic
doesn't stay up

I read that cats hate citrus, anyone had luck spraying area's with
citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
strach the area you sit on

appreciate any help

Lynn
Old July 16th 10, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul wrote:
[...]

PS forgot to add they do use their regular straching posts a lot
Old July 16th 10, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
dberrycat

On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul wrote:
snipped

citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
strach the area you sit on

appreciate any help

Lynn

Cats almost never claw the seating area of a couch or chair. They
claw
the sides or the upright part of the arm. I would recommend using one
of
these things (see below) for a while and see if they get out of the
habit of
scratching your furniture.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...55193&lmdn=Cat

http://store.stickypaws.com/merchant...ory_ Code=SDU
Old July 16th 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Jul 16, 1:25*pm, dberrycat wrote:
On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul wrote:
snipped

citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
strach the area you sit on

appreciate any help

Lynn

Cats almost never claw the seating area of a couch or chair. *They
claw
the sides or the upright part of the arm. *I would recommend using one
of
these things (see below) for a while and see if they get out of the
habit of
scratching your furniture.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...55193&lmdn=Cat

http://store.stickypaws.com/merchant...en=CTGY&Store_....

TY DBerry,

I had tried contact paper in the past but that doesn't stay on, this
stuff looks like it does...also had friend suggested using sandpaper
but I was warned some cats actually like it!

Lynn
Old July 16th 10, 07:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rene

Have you tried placing the scratchers near the spaces they scratch on
the couch? The training is two fold--one is to make the couch surface
less desirable, and the second is to place a preferred scratcher near
that area so they use that instead.

Sticky Paws is a brand of two-sided tape that's *really* sticky and
meant for putting on furniture, carpet, etc. Target has a store brand
that is IMO just as good and about half the price, if you have a
Target nearby. I use this and it does work well. Don't try using
mailing tape or Scotch double-sided tape (been there, done that). They
just don't stick to furniture very well.

Also, you mention that you have upright scratchers. Maybe buy a
horizontal scratcher, one of the corrugated cardboard ones. They are
very inexpensive and some are even cute. Wal-mart sells some that look
like a couch for around $18. Simple straight ones cost less than $10.

I have not tried spraying citrus spray on anything for scratching. I
would wonder if that might stain some furniture, while the Sticky Paws
does not do any damage and is clear.
Old July 16th 10, 11:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
---MIKE---

Are your scratchers carpet covered or sisal wound? Most cats prefer the
sisal. I have three sisal scratching posts plus one cardboard flat
scratcher. The cats never use the furniture.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Old July 17th 10, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Jul 16, 6:13*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
Are your scratchers carpet covered or sisal wound? *Most cats prefer the
sisal. *I have three sisal scratching posts plus one cardboard flat
scratcher. *The cats never use the furniture.

* * * * * * * * * ---MIKE---In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

* (44° 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

the tall one is combo of sisal and carpet, same goes with the one that
you can climb, the smallest one is all carpet it's too small for them
but I keep it because they like using it...I did see an all wood
scratching post online, can't remember what type of wood it's made but
they did state it's a softer wood...the thing costs $50 and I can't
afford it

they seem to like the carpet type the best but that is what they
started with & got used to, they're big guys weighing in at 16lbs (vet
says they're not overweight) I need a tall post & found at one chain
pet stores, that one is part sisal part carpet..I have carpeted floors
and they never bother

I did find that, sticky paws stuff..went to the local pet store (it's
not a chain) cost me $17 for the stuff, could got it online for $12
but with postage would have ran fairly close

if was handy and knew how to make things I could make that wooded post
the site gives all the demensions for it, but I'm not handy at all

Lynn
Old July 17th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
ensoul[_2_]

On Jul 16, 2:08*pm, Rene wrote:
[...]

Renee,

I'm supposed to get the couch today and I did buy that, Sticky Paw
stuff...I do like your idea though...I have seen those at Wal-Mart
they have one for $20 , it been on TV, too and is supposed work like a
nail file, claims you won't need to cut their nail ant more
Thanks,
Lynn
Old July 18th 10, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kalmia

[...]

I covered the arms of my couch and chairs with clear, mailing tape.

That, plus a scratching post, reinforced with treat-rewards, has
stopped the damage.
Old July 19th 10, 06:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
John Doe

ensoul ensoul98 verizon.net wrote:

as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2
(litter mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch

they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still
use, the other just goes straight up and is more than tall
enough and the 3rd is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm
5ft with plently of room to strach

I live in a small 2 bdrm place

I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books
I've read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home
24/7 I can't do that

If they use the alternatives, that should work. Cats need to scratch.
I would try feeding them on the tall climbing area that you have.
Make a perch up there that food or a treat can be placed on. That
will get them up there regularly.

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3190773594/

Stop Following Me! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 20 May 1st 08 06:45 AM
Is there anything that you can do to stop a late neuter tom stop spraying? sheelagh Cat health & behaviour 9 January 29th 07 10:27 PM
STOP! Karen Cat health & behaviour 16 August 3rd 05 04:47 PM
stop ARC RedRiver35 Cat community 1 March 22nd 04 11:55 PM