Cat not eating from dish with dry food.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:09 PM
Mrschief44

Default Cat not eating from dish with dry food.

Hannha has been receiveing treatment for a urinary problem for the last few
months. She's doing much better and the Vet has put her on Science Diet Prescp.
C/D both canned and dry. When I brought the bag of dry in the house she was all
over the bag sniffing and couldn't wait until I opened it up. I put some in her
dish (which is not plastic) and she just sniffed and walked away, she kept
coming back to it and would just sit there, I took a few pieces out and put
them on the rug and she gobbled them up and then looked up at me for more. She
won't eat any out of this dish. Now this same dish is the one I use for her
canned food so I'm confused. I wash the dish in hot soapy water after each use.
Last night before I went to bed I put some of the dry food in her dish and this
morning it was still there and as soon as I put some on the rug she again she
gobbled it up.I even tried putting a little water with the dry food but again
she won't eat out of this dish. I tried other little dishes that I have but
nothing, this is strange.
She's such a sweet cat and I guess if she's happy eating from the rug it can't
hurt, I even tried putting the food on a paper towel but nothing. I can't leave
her dish with the food in it out all the time because the kitten will get into
it, I did put it in another room that I can close off but she just will not eat
the dry out of this dish or any other that I have.
She's trying to tell me something , or maybe she's a LITTLE stubborn like her
Mommy ha.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all.
Old December 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
TCS

On 22 Dec 2004 15:09:01 GMT, Mrschief44 wrote:
Hannha has been receiveing treatment for a urinary problem for the last few
months. She's doing much better and the Vet has put her on Science Diet Prescp.
C/D both canned and dry. When I brought the bag of dry in the house she was all
over the bag sniffing and couldn't wait until I opened it up. I put some in her
dish (which is not plastic) and she just sniffed and walked away, she kept
coming back to it and would just sit there, I took a few pieces out and put

One thing that works for introducing a kitty to dry food is to get some
tuna packed in water and put the tuna-water on the dry food. Usually
you only have to do it once.
Old December 22nd 04, 06:39 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-22, Mrschief44 penned:

She's such a sweet cat and I guess if she's happy eating from the rug it can't
hurt, I even tried putting the food on a paper towel but nothing. I can't leave
her dish with the food in it out all the time because the kitten will get into
it, I did put it in another room that I can close off but she just will not eat
the dry out of this dish or any other that I have.

I sure don't know. The other day it seemed to me that Oscar hadn't eaten much
at all in the last day, and she felt light (Eric tells me this was purely my
imagination), so I just put a handful of kibble on Oscar's placemat next to
the bowl. It was gone in a few heartbeats.

If your cat's supposed to be eating dry, I don't see how eating on the rug is
the worst thing she could be doing. Now, wet food on the rug ... that I
wouldn't stand for!

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!

Old December 22nd 04, 09:46 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-22, Mrschief44 penned:
I've been trying to think "what's different" for her besides that dry C/D,
which she loves. I had bought a different dish detergent and thought maybe
that was it, maybe she was picking up that new scent. Well, I rewashed her
dish just in hot water, dried it off and put some dry C/D in it and she ate
it all. Funny she ate the canned food from the dish and I had used the new
detergent.

Glad you figured it out! Maybe it's like human perfumes; some just don't mix
well with certain humans. Maybe the same is true for food and detergent
scents =P