Vent/Rant - Persians

Old May 10th 05, 11:10 PM
KellyH

Default Vent/Rant - Persians

Poor Persians. Bred for a feature which makes it hard for them to breathe
and leaves them susceptible to upper respiratory infections. Purchased for
their beauty and status as a "rich person's cat", but then neglected because
they require so much work.

We get yet another Persian in horrible condition in today at the shelter. I
wasn't doing the intakes today as I normally do (needed a day off) and it's
probably a good thing this person didn't get me. This woman had this poor
cat for four years and finally decides to give him up because he's "too much
work". Well, he must have been too much work for the past four years, too.
He's all white, but yellowish in places, had fleas (indoor-only,
supposedly), badly matted, severe conjunctivitis, ear mites, yeast, polyps,
and some other bacteria I'd never heard of. His ears were so bad that the
vet said the meds may not clear it up, and he will have to have part of his
ear canals removed.

We get cats in poor condition all the time, but mostly strays. Persians,
owned pets that someone paid hundred of dollars for, almost always come in
worse than the average moggie. My feral trapper friend caught a Persian
when she was trying to trap a pregnant female. She asked around the
neighborhood, found who he belonged to, and the owner signed him over to the
shelter without hesitation. Said she put him outside because she couldn't
deal with him anymore.

We got another Persian about a month ago from Animal Control, found by the
dumpsters at the mall, badly matted and underweight, only 4 lbs.

My only real point is that I don't see any other breed consistently entering
the shelter in such horrible shape. It's very sad. I wish people would do
research before they impulse buy such a high maintenance cat.

--
-Kelly

Old May 11th 05, 02:13 AM
blueberries79

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

This is probably a very indepth question, but what about Persians require
more work than normal cats? Do you have to do more work b/c of their long
hair? Are they prone to more illness? I never thought I would want one b/c
I assumed they lost a lot of hair and it would be a pain to clean up. Just
curious : )

Old May 11th 05, 03:58 AM
KellyH

"blueberries79" wrote
This is probably a very indepth question, but what about Persians require
more work than normal cats? Do you have to do more work b/c of their long
hair? Are they prone to more illness? I never thought I would want one
b/c
I assumed they lost a lot of hair and it would be a pain to clean up.
Just
curious : )

I've never had a Persian myself, but from what I've been told they need to
be brushed daily. Their hair is long and fine and very prone to matting.
They are more prone to illnesses. particularly respiratory and eye
infections due to their smushed in faces. Persians can also be very needy
cats, and tend to bond to one person.
--
-Kelly

Old May 11th 05, 04:00 AM
KellyH

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote
Geez, I felt a cyst on Pudge's tail once and the veterinarian look at
her the next day. I couldn't stand the idea of her being in less than
perfect health. How could anyone let a cat get so sick?

I really don't know. It makes me sick seeing the condition some people let
their cats get in.

How hard is it to take care of Persians, anyway? I ask because I'm not
sure what Pudge was but she had thick, long, tendency-to-mat undercoat,
and it wasn't like she required hours a day of physical maintenance
(which I could have done a better job of, granted).

See my other reply. They do require daily brushing, not hours, though.
That's too much for some people to handle, I guess.
--
-Kelly

Old May 11th 05, 04:19 AM
KellyH

"Diane L. Schirf" wrote
How hard can it be?

Exactly. Not that hard, but apparently beyond some people's capabilities.

--
-Kelly

Old May 11th 05, 04:24 AM
Slimpickins

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

***I so agree with you, Kelly. It is indeed very sad, and I've, personally,
always thought Persians were very odd looking creatures. It's amazing what
we humans will do to animals, all for supposedly our own (stupid and
selfish) 'benefit'. When will we ever learn.

ML

Old May 11th 05, 05:44 AM
Mary

"Slimpickins" wrote in message

"KellyH" wrote in message
[...]

Right. Like the way you said you intend to BREED your cat? Because
there can be no cat "so special."

Old May 11th 05, 06:11 AM

-Kelly

***I so agree with you, Kelly. It is indeed very sad, and I've,

personally,
always thought Persians were very odd looking creatures. It's amazing

what
we humans will do to animals, all for supposedly our own (stupid and
selfish) 'benefit'. When will we ever learn.

ML

Persians *are* odd-looking creatures, but they weren't always. Breeders
have just ruined the breed, IMO. They've bred selectively for the flat
face until they've not only screwed up the poor cat's appearance, but
it's health, also. Check out this photo of a vintage postcard; this is
a Persian, circa 1918. Beautiful cat. But looks nothing like the
persians of today.

Sherry

Old May 11th 05, 06:13 AM

[...]

Oops. Here's the link.

http://www.edwardian-delights.com/vh6540.jpg

Sherry

Old May 11th 05, 06:25 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-05-11, penned:

wrote:
Check out this photo of a vintage postcard; this is a Persian, circa
1918. Beautiful cat. But looks nothing like the persians of today.

Sherry

Oops. Here's the link.

http://www.edwardian-delights.com/vh6540.jpg

Sherry

Looks like a normal cat!

.... Er, I guess that's the point, right?

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully