My cat has something green sticking out of his neck!

Old June 29th 05, 03:43 AM
Claire W via CatKB.com

Default My cat has something green sticking out of his neck!

It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be worried?

Old June 29th 05, 03:47 AM
Claire W via CatKB.com

Claire W wrote:
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be worried?

It almost looks like a miniature helicopter seed but its stuck in his neck. I
tried wiping it off with a cloth but it didn't work.
Old June 29th 05, 06:00 AM
John Doe

"Claire W via CatKB.com" wrote:

It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should
I be worried?

If you let him outside, probably. Usually, outside is not a good
place for cats.

Is he neutered? Does he have shots?

Good luck.
Old June 29th 05, 06:09 AM
biggerbadderbarry

Claire W via CatKB.com wrote:
Claire W wrote:
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be worried?

It almost looks like a miniature helicopter seed but its stuck in his neck. I
tried wiping it off with a cloth but it didn't work.

Well, goodness, "sticking out of his neck?", or tangled in the fur?

why not get the cat docile, and get a small pair of scissors and see if
you can give it a little attention. If your steady handed, maybe you
can ever so lightly coax the object loose from his hair.

The green may be infection, you see blood?, If the cat is real tender
about it...it is probably infected. If you can wipe it for now, it
sounds like it needs to be disinfected with something topical.

Try to put a little peroxide around it BUT ONLY, if you are sure, there
is not a lot of raw flesh underneath it. I'd try to get it off first.
Then you know what your working with.

This is not something you want to let go or hope it fixes itself,
infection is a MUTHA!

Old June 29th 05, 06:13 AM
Rhonda

I would get him into a vet and get it removed. My first thought was a
tick, but I don't know if they come in green!

If there's blood, then it's through his skin and could be creating a
problem -- an infection for one.

Is there a vet you can get to pretty quickly?

Rhonda

Old June 29th 05, 06:41 AM
Adam Helberg

"Claire W via CatKB.com" wrote in message
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be worried?

Yes. He came in contact with beings from space and aliens now will sprout out of his
neck.

Adam

Old June 29th 05, 08:56 AM

Claire W via CatKB.com wrote:
Claire W wrote:
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be worried?

It almost looks like a miniature helicopter seed but its stuck in his neck. I
tried wiping it off with a cloth but it didn't work.

Good grief. You mean, like some kind of thorny plant material? I'd get
the tweezers and pull it out, flush it with peroxide and put a little
neosporin on it. The kind without additives for pain.
If it was so deep I was unable to get it out cleanly with tweezers, I'd
take him to the vet.
Good luck!
Sherry

Old June 29th 05, 08:57 AM
cmtowle

Claire W wrote:
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be

worried?
It almost looks like a miniature helicopter seed but its stuck in his

neck. I
tried wiping it off with a cloth but it didn't work.

Claire, please take your kitty to the vet ASAP. It sounds very much like a
foxtail seed which you should *not* attempt to remove as it has barbed hooks
and will move inward. It can be extremely painful and dangerous as the seed
moves into the cat's body. Here is a link:
http://www.governoranimalclinic.com/798625.html . Please, do not delay and
have him seen on an emergency basis.

M.

Old June 29th 05, 11:27 AM
Wendy

Claire W wrote:
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be
worried?

It almost looks like a miniature helicopter seed but its stuck in his
neck. I
tried wiping it off with a cloth but it didn't work.

Get him to the vet to get it removed. A vet can assure that it's removed
completely and no foreign matter left in the skin to cause infection.

Old June 29th 05, 01:31 PM
Phil P.

"Claire W via CatKB.com" wrote in message
It's smalll, and a little bloody, We let him outside, but should I be

worried?

Does it look like this:

http://www.maxshouse.com/Plant_Pix/foxtails.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Plant_Pix/foxtail2.jpg

http://www.maxshouse.com/Plant_Pix/foxtail3.jpg

Do not try to remove it! Foxtails have barbs facing backwards- similar to
fish hooks. If you try to pull it out, you'll drive the barbs deeper into
the skin. It must be removed by a vet *ASAP*.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Plant_Pix/f...l_from_ear.jpg

Cat trees & Red Green SuzQ Cat anecdotes 0 February 9th 05 11:34 PM
M & Ms Bev Cat anecdotes 87 September 15th 04 03:21 PM
Feces sticking to cat's behind Robert Bowen Cat health & behaviour 26 December 11th 03 05:49 PM
new cats; tip of tongue sticking out Jean B. Cat health & behaviour 56 October 8th 03 12:47 AM
Follow-up to "need sticking purrs" Cheryl Cat anecdotes 6 September 18th 03 04:25 AM