Ghost at my shoulder

Old June 2nd 04, 11:31 PM
Norm

Default Ghost at my shoulder

I keep feeling there's a cat on the shoulder of the chair I'm sitting on
here at the computer, the feeling so strong I look more than once but no
cat. The feeling doesn't leave. Then I remember Max; it is *his*
spot, to sit on a chair arm or back while I read or type - Max is here
with me, all is right. I keep on typing, warm and comfortable,
remembering Dylans line, "Siamese cat on his shoulder". And, I wonder.
When was it? I get my exercise logs and ... afternoon June 2nd, 2000.
I took Max to the vet here in PA and the diagnosis was a large and
fast-growing tumor. Max was too old and frail for an iffy operation.
Max and I communed for another week til it was obvious it was time for
the ultimate kindness.

An aside here. It was March 2000 the Tampa vet saw Max, his appetite
was poor and he was listless. There was no obvious cause and I don't
remember we did for him but an amazing coincidence hapened. In March
1983 Max was given up to be put down but that vet, so long ago, went
ahead with the urinary tract operation that his owners declined and
then looked for an adopter - me of course. 17 years later, maybe even
the anniversary date, he now lived to Minnesota but was visiting his
former partner and she said, "Wait a minute, I have a surprise" and,
lo, Max and I were reunited with his benefactor from so long ago.

I feel a chill as I look at the log entry, I feel as though Max is
telling me that he understands, that guilt for not realizing quicker,
for making that dreaded decision, isn't right. Max is here and happy.
I cry and remember that yesterday on my bike ride I'd seen a white
lily by the roadside; it was plastic as it happens but it's still in
the bike bag in the garage. I retrieve it and put it on Maxs cairn
and thank him - for all those wonderful years and more.

--
Can't wait to tell you all,
what it's like up there (Eagles, The Last Resort)
Old June 2nd 04, 11:48 PM
Jo Firey

My first poodle, Willie always lay on the sofa next to me, just as close as
she could get and always on my left side. She died in 1983, and I can still
feel her there next to me a lot of the time. What I find fascinating is
none of the cats or dogs I've had since will sit in "her" spot.

Jo

Old June 3rd 04, 03:20 AM
Sherry

I keep feeling there's a cat on the shoulder of the chair I'm sitting on
here at the computer, the feeling so strong I look more than once but no
cat. The feeling doesn't leave. Then I remember Max; it is *his*
spot, to sit on a chair arm or back while I read or type - Max is here
with me, all is right. I keep on typing, warm and comfortable,
remembering Dylans line, "Siamese cat on his shoulder". And, I wonder.

I can't tell you how often I "saw" Cherokee after he died. A glimpse out of the
corner of my eye, in an old familliar spot...mostly sitting in front of the
glass door. I don't know the answer. But I felt a real presence for a long,
long time. It's gone now. The memories of course, are still very strong..I
still think about that cat practically every day.

Sherry

Old June 3rd 04, 04:19 AM
Steve Touchstone

That's quite a tribute to a wonderful cat - gone but certainly not
forgotten. It's especially touching about the vet (who was definately
not TED) who saved his life so long ago and gave him a second chance
at a long and happy life, which he found with you.

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 18:31:53 -0400, Norm
wrote:

[...]

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page: