Cat, porch, winter

Old September 24th 05, 04:29 PM
Observer

"Kiran" wrote in message
My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.

It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.

Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:

1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
her in a sweater.

2. At what temperatures should I become "really strict", ie, confine
her indoors even if she is unhappy and rebellious? This will not be
pretty. She loves the porch so much that right now the only way she'd
leave it voluntarily is if I remove the roof and it rains.

3. Can I buy a cat-house with a light bulb in it that would provide
adequate warmth? I am no good at construction, will have to get one
ready-made.

You did not mention what part of the country you live in.

We have a very large house and a very large screened-in porch/patio with a
roof, so all of our inside cats go in and out of the house proper and onto
the porch during all seasons. We have comfy boxes out there, and a few
simply plop in them and sleep when the mood strikes them. As long as it is
protected from rain, they are okay with it. Of course, they can come inside
if they choose because we have two pet flaps where they and egress the porch
and enter the house.

However, we also care for about a dozen outside cats--most of whom are
completely feral and will not allow themselves to be touched (we previously
caught all of them via different methods and had them fixed and inoculated,
etc.). For them--since they live entirely out of doors, we merely provide a
sheltered enclosure from the wind and rain; and inside it we put a host of
warm boxes filled with stuffing. They make it just fine, with their food
and water also protected from the elements. Some of them bunk together for
companionship as much as for warmth.

A cat has a body temp above 100F and--unless they are a rare breed--will put
on a tough warm winter coat that is capable of keeping them warm under dry
and protected conditions.

Your cat seems to be an inside/outside cat--which I don't recommend. But if
that is the only option, just give her a spot that is protected on all sides
from the wind, with plenty of stuffing inside and let her decide when she
wants to come back in. I would not put a sweater on her, as it could get
caught on something while you were unaware.

There is nothing wrong with the light bulb idea, but it is not necessary
unless you live in Siberia.

--Geno

Old September 24th 05, 07:43 PM
whayface

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 10:29:55 -0500, "Observer" same@ Iknow.com wrote:

However, we also care for about a dozen outside cats--most of whom are
completely feral and will not allow themselves to be touched (we previously
caught all of them via different methods and had them fixed and inoculated,
etc.). For them--since they live entirely out of doors, we merely provide a
sheltered enclosure from the wind and rain; and inside it we put a host of
warm boxes filled with stuffing. They make it just fine, with their food
and water also protected from the elements. Some of them bunk together for
companionship as much as for warmth.

I was / am caring for some completely feral cats as well as some neighbors cats that they
let run wild where my daughter rents (I do not live there but make a trip there just to
feed cats) so what I did was put some old quilts / comforters that I had under an enclosed
porch of one of her nieghbors (He said I could) for during cold weather they have a little
comfort out of the weather. There are a couple holes going under it big enough for the
cats to go under so I worked the comforters / quilts under and took a long pole and shoved
them back away from the hole against the basement wall plus I worked some containers under
that I can reach and keep full of dry food. May not be the best but better then nothing
when this Michigan weather drop below zero.

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/

http://members.aol.com/larrystark/strays.htm

Old September 25th 05, 12:06 AM
Eazm

wrote in message...
[...]

Since the porch is mainly just a vantage point for her to stand guard
against the outside tree and bird situation, then maybe one of those
window-sill bed thingies inside the house would entice her to stay more
often? I have three of them against windows in the bedrooms of my uppermost
floor. They are the ones with the fluffy, "sheepy", liners. The cats
absolutely love 'em. Kitty heaven: food and water bowls always full, litter
box always clean, and a high, warm, perch against a window to watch all the
furry things smaller than them outside. :^)

Old September 25th 05, 08:06 AM
-L.

Kiran wrote:
My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.

I haven't read all the responses, but what I would do is fix a cat
carrier with a heated bed in it, for her to use. Here is an example of
a heated bed:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...N=2002&Nty =1

I woud NOT put a sweater on her - too much potential for her to get
hung up in it. I would also bring her inside any time it gets below
about 50 degrees.

good luck,
-L.

Old September 25th 05, 04:08 PM

"-L." wrote:

I would also bring her inside any time it gets below
about 50 degrees.

You got to be kidding?

-mhd
Old September 25th 05, 05:37 PM
223rem

Kiran wrote:
My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.

It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.

Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:

Cats are mauch smarter than children. They know best when it is too cold for
them to be out.

1. At what temperatures should I start making sure she is covered. I
can certainly ensure that when she is sleeping. :-) I can also clothe
her in a sweater.

LMAO! Clothe a cat with a sweater?! Make sure you have a camcorder
rolling when you try that.
Old September 25th 05, 06:07 PM
Topaz

wrote in message
"-L." wrote:

I would also bring her inside any time it gets below
about 50 degrees.

You got to be kidding?

I think that must be a typo.

Old September 25th 05, 06:07 PM
Topaz

"223rem" wrote in message
Kiran wrote:
My cat is about 5 lb and medium hair. She loves to spend all her time
in the back porch, which is covered and protected from rain and snow,
partially protected form winds, but it is not heated.

It is still September, I can read 87 degrees. The cat is busy ignoring
me and looking at the trees and sky out of the porch. However, I
remember what winters are likely to bring. I would like to assume she'd
sense the cold and move in, but like children, maybe quite not in time.

Unlike children, I have no sense what a cat's range for safe and
comfortable temperatures. So, I have two questions:

Cats are mauch smarter than children.

Maybe your children. Or should I just say that I disagree?

Old September 26th 05, 05:25 PM
Barb

I have a cat door to the deck. The cats drift out as long as I'm around.
If it gets hot they go under the chaise. If it gets so hot that I go in,
they do, too, at least pretty soon and sometimes before I do. My Sapphire
who loved her deck, so, would go out in any temperature even down to o
degrees. If it was sunny she stayed out for a while and would come in with
her black fur very warm. If it was cloudy, windy, and cold she would just
walk around and then get right in.

Cats are smart and know enough to come in if it's too hot, cold or rainy.
Trust them.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old September 27th 05, 08:10 PM
Kiran

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice. Basically, I feel reassured
that there is not much to worry about. However, as she does have a huge
preference for staying in the porch whatever the weather, I would add a
few elements to increase her comfort:

1. A small tent-like house, basically a basket or even a box with
cover. Open baskets are ok, but a cover will cut down on occasional
drafts (the porch is open on the sides). Right now her method is to get
under some chair when it is drafty (she'd prefer that to comin in!),
but this will give her another option.

2. Line these up with a heat reflecting pad.

3. It was good to learn about Sluggle Safe. In colder weather, I would
consider that under a blanket. (I am assuming that a heat-reflecting
pad with snuggle safe might be too much? But I'll experiment around.)