Cutest Cat Name?

Old January 30th 09, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Peg Caldwell-Ott

Default Cutest Cat Name?

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 09:37:46 -0600, Curmudgeon wrote:

In article
,
LauraM wrote:

I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

We got Amaretto as a kitten when he was only 2 days old. We named him
for a bottle set of Amaretto with two glasses that Derek bought for me
as a gift--he was leaving the next day to spend some of his spring
vacation with his family. This was in the days before we were married
and then spent our spring vacations together!

I did not like the idea of Amaretto being "alone" for so much time,
especially while we were in classes (this was in New Brunswick where
we met, both doing our PhD degrees in Anthropology), so we purchased
Alino from a breeder--the same lady who provided us with Amaretto for
free, especially when she thought the kitten would not survive without
its mother's care. Alino Preparado is a spice used for meats in
Venezuela (where Derek's mother is originally from).

As it turned out, both cats were perfectly named--Amaretto was always
regal and majestic, just like the liqueur! Alino was always the fun,
noisy and silly kitty, very spicy!!

With Pemberton, we have gone back to my families' habit of selecting
family names for pets. My grandmothers were Mildred Pemberton Horton
and Harriet Elvira Wilmot--if I had been named for them, I would have
been Mildred Harriet, or Elvira Pemberton!! Thank goodness my folks
settled on Margaret Catherine--named for a number of good friends.
But, Pemberton is the only name in the set that I genuinely like--so
we gave it to Pemberton! Eventually, we hope to welcome Elvira (which
Derek likes) or Ebenezer--named for my great grandfather, Wallace
Ebenezer. Other possibles for the future are Omar, Franklin, Vroom and
Eddy.

I love this thread--lots of REALLY cute names!!

Bestest,

PegNDerek

Old January 30th 09, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, LauraM exclaimed (1/29/2009 8:45 PM):
I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

When I adopted my first cat, Mouse, she was so tiny she fit in my small
hand. She was grey and had a tail, but too small to be a cat so she
must be a mouse. Of course, turns out Mouse was at least part Maine
Coon - she had the tail, the little peep, and the size - 18# of pure muscle!

My current cat, Meep, was abandoned at a shelter with her mom and 5
siblings. The first couple of days after I adopted her, she wandered
around the house going, "Meep? Meep!" - I think she was looking for her
family. Meep was supposed to be a temporary name, but since it's now 12
years later, I can safely say it's stuck.

jmc
Old January 31st 09, 02:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
LauraM[_2_]

On Jan 30, 3:58*pm, jmc wrote:
[...]

Did you ever see the tv show, The Bachelor? I think it was a few
seasons ago, but one of the Bachelorettes was nicknamed "Meep" because
she hiccupped uncontrollably. And when she hiccupped, she tried to
contain it at the same time which meant the sound came out as a
"meep". I always think of her when I read your posts about Meep.

I love Mouse! How funny that she turned out to be so muscular.
Old January 31st 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"LauraM" wrote in message
I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

Oh, can anything possibly be cuter than Duffy? Of course, I'm a bit
prejudiced because my Duffy is cute in *every* way!! ;o)

MaryL
Duffy's album: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Duffy in the Christmas tree: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

Old January 31st 09, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MLB

MaryL wrote:

"LauraM" wrote in message
I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

Oh, can anything possibly be cuter than Duffy? Of course, I'm a bit
prejudiced because my Duffy is cute in *every* way!! ;o)

MaryL
Duffy's album: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Duffy in the Christmas tree: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

My late cousin had a French poodle named Duffy. She had no children but
he was her baby for 16 years. MLB
Old January 31st 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

"LauraM" wrote in message
I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

Oh, can anything possibly be cuter than Duffy? Of course, I'm a bit
prejudiced because my Duffy is cute in *every* way!! ;o)

MaryL
Duffy's album: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Duffy in the Christmas tree: http://tinyurl.com/clal7

My late cousin had a French poodle named Duffy. She had no children but
he was her baby for 16 years. MLB

I did not name Duffy myself. I adopted him from a shelter six years ago,
and they had given him the name. I liked it and thought it "fit" him, so he
has been Duffy (usually connected with all sorts of "loving" titles) ever
since.

MaryL

Old February 1st 09, 10:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Clara Semps

My very first cat as a little girl was named Cheetah. A beautiful
calico, long and slinky. She got pregnant and gave birth to a single
cat, all white, we called Baby. Unfortunately, Baby got hit by a car
when he as 6 months. We also had a country cat named Anthony.

When I got my first apartment, my first cat was named Rider. He got the
name when he somehow got out of the box in the car and rode comfortably
on my shoulder the rest of the way home from the shelter. Used to love
to go to the vet because he knew he'd get to ride in the car and he was
always so well behaved in it.

Then along came Lady who was definitely not one. I gave up Lady and
Rider when I married my husband who was allergic. After I gave up my
husband, I knew I'd never give up another cat for a man again.

The next is an interesting story. Gummitch is the name of a cat from a
series of stories by Fritz Lieber. He's a a philosophically minded
kitten with an I.Q. of 160, just waiting for his ritual cup of coffee
so that he can become human, too. I went looking for him and, as a grey
tiger Domestic Shorthair, he found me, together with his buddy, Growl
Tiger, a Turkish Van. Yup, inspired by TS Elliot's poem "Growl Tiger's
Last Stand." BTW, I consider Gummitch my feline soul. I seem to find
him whenever I need to. I honestly believe he was Cheetah and Rider.
There's just something in them that resonated with me.

Anyway, after Growl Tiger left us we needed a companion for Gummitch
and found Chaplin. He's a Ragamuffin named after Charlie Chaplin
because he wears a tuxedo, has a little white mustache under his nose
that looks just like the silent movie star and even waddles when he
walks. LOL It's very funny to see. When Gummitch passed to his next
life in 2002 it took me a long time to find him again. Even though I'd
found him as a 2 week old kitten 2 weeks later, it took me another 6
weeks before I realize it was him. That's because he chose to return as
a silly mama's boy of a Russian Blue called Furby. Don't ask me how he
got that name, it's what he wanted to be called and the only thing he
answered to so it stuck.

I always have at least two cats at one time. Preferably one younger,
one older. The young one helps the older one stay fit. Well, except for
Furby and Chaplin. Chaplin is a lazy cat if I ever had one but Furby
does manage to get him to run up and down the hall at least two or
three times after dinner each night. But that's about it for Chaplin.
Who the new felines in my life will be in the future, is anyone's
guess. But I'm sure they'll let me know.

In article
,

Old February 1st 09, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Janet

LauraM wrote:
I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

I friend had a mostly white cat with some very light gray shadings that she
called Purrl.

Old February 2nd 09, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"Clara Semps" wrote in message
My very first cat as a little girl was named Cheetah.

Anybody else seeing a chimp here?

Old February 3rd 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 29, 8:45*pm, LauraM wrote:
I was just wondering what you all thought was the cutest cat name
you've ever heard. *My girlfriend had a cat for 20 years named Moses.
I always thought that was the cutest name I'd ever heard (besides my
Hobbes of course).

How about you??

http://oldpoetry.com/opoem/25632-T-S...Naming-Of-Cats

Peter Wieck