Help with hyper new cat

Old August 6th 03, 03:59 PM
Rene

(Gid Tanner) wrote in message . com...
Dear folks,
I know this topic has been discussed here in the past--but I was
wondering if I may have some advice for my particular situation. I
adopted Sullivan, a young, neutured male buff-colored tabby, from the
shelter two weeks ago. The slow introduction to my older (aged 11-12
years) female cat took about one week, with Sullivan based in his own
room with all his stuff and let out to meet the old cat gradually.
After a week, the old cat tolerated, and even seemed to want to be
around Sullivan. Sullivan, who seemed to be mellow at first, is now
usually frantic--nervously licking his back and tail, and receiving
almost every approach to pet him as an invitation to play-bite and bat
with his paws. He does not bite to the point of pain, and backs off
when my voice gets a little sterner. But his normal mode seems to be
that of rough play. The real trouble is that the other cat seems to
want some gentler contact, but Sullivan is just too rough for her,
resulting in her hissing at him, at which he backs away and hides,
only to take more swipes at her as she walks by. When he just wakes
up, Sullivan has a brief time of mellowness, in which he likes to have
his tummy rubbed and get scratched, but he'll soon start to rough
play. He hasn't yet sit in my lap; he seems too hyper to do that.
But he sometimes will lay down against me when I am taking a nap or
watching tv. I don't know exactly how old he is--my guess is about 1
year. He seems a bit small yet for an adult male.
Any hope that he will calm down enough to be a good companion for my
older cat? What do you suggest I do to help modify his behavior?

Hello!
Your cats sound a bit like mine, though a bit different in age (one
is 3, the other 5). My 5 y/o is very mellow and the younger one is
crazy--will play until you literally drop! It sounds like Sullivan
(great name, BTW!) needs some high-powered play sessions to run out
his energy. Have you tried interactive toys like DaBird or Cat Dancer?
If he likes to play rough, you can redirect his energy to toys like
the "weasel ball" (one of those weasels stuck to a plastic ball, uses
batteries but I don't). My older cat liked to kick it around. Or some
cats like a stuffed animal or old sock with catnip.

Time will mellow him, but he might always be a high-activity cat.
Benny, my 3 y/o is still very kitten-like and does not sit on laps. He
will take swipes at the older cat, but the cats seem to have an
agreement, and Tucker will swipe back if he's not in the mood to play.
Perhaps your cats will reach the same "agreement."

good luck,
Rene
Old August 6th 03, 05:38 PM
Sharon Talbert

I noticed in the posting about the over-active young male that his
behavior includes licking and biting at his back and tail. He could be
suffering from a flea attack and/or allergies, causing skin irritation.
Not likely to be the sole cause of his behavior, but certainly worth
looking into.

Sharon Talbert
Friends of Campus Cats
www.campuscats.org