Follow-up question about canned cat food

Old August 6th 03, 01:35 AM
Cheryl

In ,
GAUBSTER2 composed with style:

The dental benefit of *any* dental diet for cats is minimal - much
less than dogs and not worth the trade off.

Not all "dental diets" are created equally. As for the trade
off...what are you suggesting?

The trade off being not getting a proper dental done at the vet, or at
the least not substituting a dental diet for brushing the cats
teeth... ?

I've never had to have a dental done for my cats -- my 2 year old will
be the first. At regular vet visits when they look at the teeth it
has never been suggested that tartar or any other problem is present
and needs to be addressed. Now with a 2 year old, they say he has
gingavitis. Go figure.

Old August 7th 03, 03:13 PM
Phil P.

"GAUBSTER2" wrote in message
IMO, dental
diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing gimmick

SO you're saying that the Hill's diets DO NOT work?

No. I said "IMO, dental diets -- for cats -- is more a marketing

gimmick",
didn't I? That's not the same as saying "Hill's diets DO NOT work",

now.is
it?

Don't get yourself into such a snit! I was just asking for some

clarification.

What snit? LOL! I was simply correcting your misinterpretation of my
statement... Don't be so sensitive... ....

The dental benefit of *any* dental diet for cats is minimal - much less

than
dogs and not worth the trade off.

Not all "dental diets" are created equally.

Yeah, I know... Some are worse than others...

As for the trade off...what are
you suggesting?

See my earlier post .
Try not to misinterpret that one, too...

All I'm concerned with, is whether or not the food does what it claims.

I've
found the Hill's diets do exactly that.

....better than the other so called dental diets -- but that's not saying
much... The "benefits are still minimal for cats. Some cats are more prone
to plaque than others. Are you sure its not the individual cat's oral
chemistry that's responsible for the cleaner teeth?

I've come across quite a few Hill's
bashers on boards such as these; that's why I was asking.

You must be a new kid on the block... I'm the strongest proponent of Hills'
diets in the group...

Because there is plenty of
clinical evidence that would contradict your opinion.

Yeah, yeah, yeah -- I know all about the clinical studies... A lot of

things
"work" - but at what expense to other areas of the body... Like I said, I
don't think the minimal dental benefit is worth the trade off

...so you have a problem w/ the Hill's dental diets?

I have a problem with *all* dental diets. However, I suppose they're better
than no oral care at all.

Old August 8th 03, 01:52 AM
GAUBSTER2

Don't get yourself into such a snit! I was just asking for some
clarification.

What snit? LOL! I was simply correcting your misinterpretation of my
statement... Don't be so sensitive... ....

Point taken. I just wanted to be sure I was reading you correctly!

As for the trade off...what are
you suggesting?

See my earlier post .
Try not to misinterpret that one, too...

Sorry, I never saw that one. I just started reading this group about a week
ago.

I've come across quite a few Hill's
bashers on boards such as these; that's why I was asking.

You must be a new kid on the block... I'm the strongest proponent of Hills'
diets in the group...

Yes, I am new to this group.