leaving the cats alone....

Old August 7th 03, 05:34 AM
Pat Rabideau

Default leaving the cats alone....

for just two days.... can it be done without traumatizing them too
much... will they be ok on their own if I leave enough food, water, and
clean litter...

I have to make an emergency trip out of town, have three indoor cats,
and haven't been able to find anyone to stay with them on short
notice... they have never been alone before... not even during the day,
as there is always someone in the house....

I know they can survive, but being the gentle little creatures of habit
that they are, I am so worried that they will freak out when no one
comes home all night...

they are used to being fed a portion of wet food every morning and don't
even let you sleep on the weekends until they are fed.. being alone all
night and not getting their morning meal may cause them to feel
abandoned... and I don't know what harm this might do....

I have three nice well-behaved house cats, and I want to avoid any undue
stress to them.... is there anything I can do to make sure they are ok
in my absence....

Old August 7th 03, 06:33 AM

for just two days.... can it be done
without traumatizing them too much... will
they be ok on their own if I leave enough
food, water, and clean litter...

I never recommend leaving cats alone for two days. If you call a few
veterinary offices close to where you live they will be able to
recommend a petsitter that can come in and feed the cats, scoop the
litterboxes, etc. while you are gone. The cost is minimal and you'll
have the peace of mind that your cats will be looked after while you are
gone and that if there is a medical emergency they will get taken to a
vet. I petsit and have sometimes received calls on very short notice and
I have always fit the people in to my schedule. I think that every pet
owner should have a plan in place for the care of their pets in case
there is an urgent matter that requires going away on short notice.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old August 7th 03, 09:45 AM
Alex Longfield

we've never left our cats more than one night without having someone come in
and feed them. when we left them for one we left last in the day and came
back early and left a big supply of dried food and water and a bit of wet.
Our cats a pretty independant and tend to disappear all day anyway so i
think they were ok. But they're always around when we get back!

We've never left them for longer than that, but our neighbour pops in to
feed them and check they're all ok, could you not ask someone who lives
nearby just to have a quick check? it's not like it takes longer than a few
minutes.

Subject: leaving the cats alone....
From: (Pat Rabideau)

I've been in the same boat because my hubby has a serious illness and can

be
hosp. very quickly and the hosp if too
far away from home

I have done it for one night
like you said, food, water , all the goddies
I left lights on and radio set to talk radio station

two nights, I don't know...

any neighbors you're friendly with?
one w/a pet? you could say you don't wanna impose then offer to make a

deal to
do the same for her/him
beg with any friends/family, ppl you work with and again offer to do the

same
for you

call your vet and SPCA ask if they know of any pet sitters..also ask them

abt
leaving your cats alone for 2 days, if it's safe

I wish you luck

ensoul

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes

wondered
whose it was and whether they were enjoying it
~Douglas Adams,
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy