For any trolls or spammers while I'm gone :)

Old December 10th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default For any trolls or spammers while I'm gone :)

These are wonderful rolls to serve with holiday dinners:

Refrigerator Rolls
(Good Housekeeping, 1978)
6 to 6-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. salt
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 c. hot water
1 egg
vegetable oil

Early in Day or up to 1 Week ahead:

1. In large bowl, combine 2-1/4 c. flour, sugar, salt & yeast. Add butter
or margarine. With a hand-mixer at low speed, gradually beat in 2 c. hot
water (120 degrees). Add egg and increase speed to medium. Beat 2 minutes,
occasionally scraping the bowl. With a wooden spoon, stir in enough
additional flour (about 2-1/2 cups) to make a soft dough.

2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and
elastic, about 10 minutes. Shape into a large ball and place in a large
greased bowl, turning dough so all is greased. Cover with a towel and let
rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.

3. Punch down dough and push edges of dough to the center. Turn dough over
and brush with salad oil. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and
refrigerate, punching dough down occasionally, until ready to use.

About 2 hours before serving:

4. Remove dough from refrigerator. Grease a 15X10 open roasting pan. Cut
the dough into 30 equal pieces; shape into balls and place in pan. Cover
with a towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled (again about 1-1/2
hours).

5. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Brush rolls with melted butter or margarine to glaze the tops. Carefully
remove from pan and serve immediately. Makes 2&1/2 dozen rolls.

And for the thirsty:

Egg Nog

18 eggs
1-1/2 lbs. white sugar
2 quarts milk
1 quart heavy cream
one fifth bottle rye whiskey
1/2 pint brandy
1/2 pint light rum

Separate 18 eggs. Using a 2 gallon plastic bucket and a wooden spoon (don't
use metal!) mix the egg yolks and sugar together until you have a creamy
batter. Add the whiskey, brandy and rum and stir constantly to avoid
curdling the yolks. Stir in the milk and cream until blended. Use a
blender to beat the egg whites to a thick froth. Add to mixture in bucket
and fold under gently until mixed. Chill immediately. Makes 7 quarts.

Jill