I'm Sorry

Old July 20th 08, 01:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default I'm Sorry

On Jul 20, 5:57 am, "Adrian" wrote:
Will in New Haven wrote:

On Jul 19, 4:57 pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
Next time I'll post child pornography fantasies instead. Sheesh.
Maybe I need a break from most of you.

Well, I googled and foound the thread that started all this. I didn't
think it was anti-Muslim but more poking fun at anti-Muslim hysteria.
Or, of course, the work of some teenage boys who just wanted to see
all the women in their neighborhood take their clothes off. Depending
on the neighborhood, this may not have turned out as well as planned.

But the sensitive and the politically correct were quick to make their
opinions known. Well, to Hell with them.

Most teeage boys wouldn't appreciate the charms of the more mature woman
taking their clothes off. I must admit I did enjoy the picture I had in my
mind. ;-)

Most teenage boys wouldn't think of that in advance. Thinking of
things, in advance or not, is not a major habit of teenage boys.
Plotting, as opposed to thinking, ways to see women naked _is_ a habit
of teeneage boys.

--
Will in New Haven
Cuddleseep iss speshul

Old July 20th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default WHAT HAVE I DONE? :(

"Kyla =^. .^=`" wrote in message
Oh dear, what have I done? I certainly meant NO harm when I wrote about
Shirley's death. I'm just sitting here in tears knowing I now have
everyone in the group hating me and that wasn't my intention at all.
Pam, I know Rob has cancer and I am hoping for good results for him,
I am wishing nothing but the best for both him and you Pam.
I'm crying so hard, I can't think straight.
If you all thought it was in bad taste, dreadful, then I guess it was,
but that was not my intention at all. I promise.
I lost my own Mother last August, and it still hurts.
Please forgive me. I'm SO sorry.
Kyla
--in tears because now I've lost all my friends

Kyla,

I'm not sure if I can adequately answer your question about what was wrong
with your letter because my own messages are often poorly received and
receive a negative reaction, but I will try. You certainly are not "hated"
by people on the newsgroup, but some of us did have a negative reaction to
the letter. My mother died last year at the age of 91, and I immediately
thought of her when I saw your message. I believe that you were trying to
be kind and to reassure Grandma Shirley that "everything was alright."
Susan realized that death was near (and had even said that her Grandma
Shirley was "standing near the bridge"), but she also had asked for purrs to
help her grandmother on her journey and had said that she was a fighter who
surprised her nurses by her strength. Susan said in her message that "she
said to me that there was too much that she didn't want to leave." However,
your letter could easily be interpreted as telling Grandma Shirley that
there was no longer much time left. It is very true that some people *want*
to talk about death when the end of life is imminent, but that is a very
delicate matter and should not be broached by a complete stranger who has no
way of knowing if that type of conversation is what is needed. You did not
try to directly contact her, of course, but your message was written in the
manner of something that was directed to her at the end of her life. Your
note was written in a very personalized style, and I do believe you were
trying to convey support in a difficult time.

I'm not sure if this answer is adequate. As I said, my own messages are
often poorly received and are sometimes interpreted in a way that I did not
intend. That is partly due to the impersonal forum of newsgroups where we
begin to think that we know each other, but words printed on paper often
cannot convey our feelings and sentiments in the same way that a personal
hug and meeting can. You are obviously in pain as a result of reaction to
your letter, but it is clear to me that you did not intend to be harsh or
unkind. I think many others also know that.

MaryL

Old July 20th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Jul 19, 1:57*pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
Next time I'll post child pornography fantasies instead. *Sheesh. *Maybe I
need a break from most of you.

Whoa Pam! We need you!

I neither found the post offensive nor to be honest particularly
amusing but that's just my sense of humour and my lack of amusement is
neither here nor there

I know you must be going through utter Hell at the moment and that you
can still find something amusing is a tribute to your courage- a lot
of people would be gibbering wrecks

Please stay

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old July 20th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M[_3_]

Kyla =^. .^=` wrote:
Oh dear, what have I done? I certainly meant NO harm when I wrote about
Shirley's death. I'm just sitting here in tears knowing I now have everyone
in the group hating me and that wasn't my intention at all.
Pam, I know Rob has cancer and I am hoping for good results for him,
I am wishing nothing but the best for both him and you Pam.
I'm crying so hard, I can't think straight.
If you all thought it was in bad taste, dreadful, then I guess it was,
but that was not my intention at all. I promise.
I lost my own Mother last August, and it still hurts.
Please forgive me. I'm SO sorry.
Kyla
--in tears because now I've lost all my friends

Kyla - I know that everyone is different in how they approach times like
this and I've learned to appreciate the good intent behind each attempt
at comfort. I'm also sorry about your mother.

I have admired Pam and her family for so long. Her unfailing love and
support of her husband, children, and cats is something you can
practically see just from reading her words. She has had to be so
strong for so long. I admire her grace in doing so - her focus on the
positive during such rough times - and her ability to use humour to keep
everyone afloat. Purrs and good thoughts continue to come from my house
to theirs.

Take care,

Susan M
Otis and Chester
Old July 20th 08, 08:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

MaryL that was a wonderful way of explaining and I want to add one thing.
If someone near and dear to you in geting close to leaving, as my son might
well be, words, however well meant, can hurt and make us look where we don't
want to look.

If you had been close to this lady, I don't think those of us who had this
reaction would have done so in quite the same way.

. ..

Old July 20th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Will in New Haven wrote:
On Jul 19, 4:57 pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
Next time I'll post child pornography fantasies instead. Sheesh. Maybe I
need a break from most of you.

Well, I googled and foound the thread that started all this. I didn't
think it was anti-Muslim but more poking fun at anti-Muslim hysteria.
Or, of course, the work of some teenage boys who just wanted to see
all the women in their neighborhood take their clothes off. Depending
on the neighborhood, this may not have turned out as well as planned.

LOL!!!! (I live in a senior retirement residence, and believe me, we
all look much better clothed!)
Old July 20th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

"Will in New Haven" ...
On Jul 20, 12:32 am, "Kyla =^. .^=`"
wrote:
Oh dear, what have I done? I certainly meant NO harm when I wrote about
Shirley's death. I'm just sitting here in tears knowing I now have
everyone
in the group hating me and that wasn't my intention at all.
Pam, I know Rob has cancer and I am hoping for good results for him,
I am wishing nothing but the best for both him and you Pam.
I'm crying so hard, I can't think straight.
If you all thought it was in bad taste, dreadful, then I guess it was,
but that was not my intention at all. I promise.
I lost my own Mother last August, and it still hurts.
Please forgive me. I'm SO sorry.
Kyla
--in tears because now I've lost all my friends

Kyla, you have tons of friends you cannot lose and I know because I'm
one of them. I really don't know why someone felt they had to defend
her actions by saying "Kyla was worse" but she can't lose me as a
friend either.

Thank you for saying that Will, and you have a good attitude about others as
well. I love Pam too and am aware of her husband's cancer and am wishing
them nothing but the best outcome possible.
Hug
Kyla

Old July 20th 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jul 20, 2:46*pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
On Jul 19, 3:57 pm, "tanadashoes" wrote:
Next time I'll post child pornography fantasies instead. *Sheesh. *Maybe I
need a break from most of you.

Pam S. disgusted by her stupidity

Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. As a person who
appreciates wicked satire it was clear (to me, anyway) that what you
posted was a huge dig at AMERICAN attitudes and the psychology of fear
the current government dispenses to us on a daily basis. *I didn't see
it as intending to be offensive to muslims, but definitely intended as
a big pointy jab to those stupid citizens of the gold old USA that
continue to buy into that sort of crap. No matter. There will always
be someone somewhere that will take something the wrong way and find
followers to go down the same path, regardless of what the reality
is.

Anyone care to let the uninitiated know what the hell you're all talking
about? *When someone starts a thread like this out of the blue, with no
indication what it refers to, it leaves some of us floundering!- Hide quoted text -

See thread "Received In My Inbox Today OT, Political, and funny" for a
full
background. But here's a brief synopsis.
Pam posted a joke. Some people thought it was offensive. Some people
didn't.
Kyla posted a letter. Some people thought it was offensive. Some
didn't.
Just to prove we're all so open-minded our brains practically fall out
every time we post, Matthew posted some jokes about "Indians" and
"Mexicans." But Dan
said that was okay. He said we can post any joke we want to, so long
as it's just "mildly" offensive, and advised the ones who didn't like
it "get over it."
This is all my personal interpretation of course. YMMV.

Sherry
Old July 20th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^. .^=`[_2_]

"Joy"
"Kyla =^. .^=`"
Oh dear, what have I done? I certainly meant NO harm when I wrote about
Shirley's death. I'm just sitting here in tears knowing I now have
everyone in the group hating me and that wasn't my intention at all.
Pam, I know Rob has cancer and I am hoping for good results for him,
I am wishing nothing but the best for both him and you Pam.
I'm crying so hard, I can't think straight.
If you all thought it was in bad taste, dreadful, then I guess it was,
but that was not my intention at all. I promise.
I lost my own Mother last August, and it still hurts.
Please forgive me. I'm SO sorry.
Kyla
--in tears because now I've lost all my friends

You haven't lost all your friends, Kyla.

Thank you for the kind words Joy...

I didn't think the letter was so terrible. I probably wouldn't have
written such a letter to someone I didn't know, but I could tell you meant
well.

I did mean well, but as an afterthought, I probably shouldn't have written
it.
When Jill's Dad passed away, I wrote each of them a separate sympathy
letter,
her Mom not knowing who I was.

I'm so sorry about your mother. I lost mine a year ago last October.

Thank you and I'm so sorry about your Mother too.
They are still watching over us.
My Dad passed away a year ago last January too.
Mothers, Dads, and Grandparents are precious people.
And your kind words mean alot to me because of your
recent loss of Nanki-Poo

Joy

Kyla