Adopting a feral - Can I trouble you folks with a couple of questions?

Old March 8th 04, 12:57 PM
Sunflower

Default Adopting a feral - Can I trouble you folks with a couple of questions?

"Nomen Nescio" ] wrote in message
A quick background on the situation:

Snip

If he's not neutered, then even if he is "owned", they aren't responsible
owners and I'd consider him yours. Go ahead and contact your vet about
getting him neutered and shots. If he visits you on enough of a schedule to
know when he'll be there for the evening, then you can schedule the surgery
OK. He'll have to have his food and water taken away that night, so you'll
have to have him inside somewhere. If his schedule with you is
unpredictable, explain that to the vet and I'll bet they tell you to bring
him in whenever you can and they'll take care of boarding him that day until
it's time for NPO that evening.

If he'll go in a carrier, you've got it made. Don't worry about upsetting
him too much, he'll probably calm down, especially if you put a towel over
the cage. For kitties with a bit of wild to them, it's often better for the
owners if they are not present during the vet's examination. The kitty
could injure you, and it's actually more stressful in most cases for the
owner to watch their cat being restrained than it is for the cat. If you've
been able to handle him, then a vet surely will. There *are* methods that
are safe for both the handler and the cat, and I've personally handled ones
that were much wilder than you are describing.

He probably will still be a bit on the groggy side when he comes home.
That's good for both you and him. He'll need a small enclosed space like a
laundry room or second bathroom for the first day. After the drugs wear
off, he should be OK to let have run of the house. DO NOT let him outside.
In fact, it'd be far safer for him if he never went outside again. Kitties
that go outside have a far greater chance of dying from all kinds of nasties
from wild dogs to your hateful neighbor boy with social disorders. If you
give him plenty of play activities at home, he won't even usually care about
going out. A lot of rescues appreciate not having to struggle to find that
next meal and never even meow at the door.

He most likely won't remember about the trauma preceeding the operation, but
I've found it helpful to place the carrier next to the food and water bowl.
Many of mine like to hang out in it and reach out to swat a passerby. By
associating the carrier with the presence of food, it becomes less fear
inducing. And, for regular trips to the vet, if your cat doesn't end up
being one who goes into it willingly, there's always the method of placing
it on end and dropping the cat in there butt first. That's the easiest
method to get an uwilling cat inside, but they also make new carriers that
have a "drop top" where you can put them in from the top. But, those latches
on top aren't as secure as you'd think and I'm afraid that they're prone to
"spillage".

Old March 8th 04, 04:44 PM
Willows

First of after reading this I wouldn't worry about him being somebodys
cat. He's displaying the typical behaviour of a cat who used to belong
to someone but its been a long time since he did and has started to go
towards being wild. I firmly believe though that if they were ever
friendly you can always get them back to being friendly, it just takes time.

My wife and I have had cats around for several decades, but when we
lost our "special kitty" at a ripe old age of 20, three years ago, we both
vowed that we would never get another cat because the hurt was more
than either of us could have ever imagined.

I do hear people say this a lot and while I understand the pain of
loosing a pet remember there are so many homeless cats out there
suffering. I think the very best way we can honor the pets we loved is
by helping another one that needs us.

Long story short (or at least less long), since then his comfort distance
got shorter, we played with a string, he let us pet his head, he came over
when ever we brought food, we invited him in the kitchen to eat and warm
up (cold New England winter), put a towel in a box so he could have a
place to nap in the kitchen, let him nap on the carpet in the hallway, let
him join us in the living room after he stopped being jumpy about the TV,
and today..for the first time...I had a cat jump up onto my lap and take
an hour nap

That's great your doing things exactly right, your building his
confidence and restoring this faith in humans.

But here's the dilemna, he may not be a stray/feral. His schedule might
indicate that someone might have some control of his comings & goings.
Generally, it's evenings on weekdays, a long daytime "kitty visit" on Sunday,
and usually he does not visit on a snowy or rainy day.

I think he sounds like a stray from his behaviour. However if you
wanted to be sure for your own peice of mind. Get him in the house shut
the door behind him and then call the local paper put in a found add,
ring the local vets and report you found him, put up signs in the local
shops and anywhere else in the neighbourhood you can think of, wait a
week and if you get no reply you have a new cat and peice of mind
knowing you tried your best to find an owner. Saying that though I
really don't think he has an owner anymore.

How much distance will a male cat cover in his wanderings, a neighbor
has said that they can cover a radius of up to 3 miles, is this true?

3 Miles might be pushing it for regular stomping grounds, maybe as the
crow flys but males do wander and move around looking for new territory
which is probably how he found you. He could have moved territories a
few times so he may have come a long way but he wouldn't be going back
there on a regular basis.

We could use some guidance as to how much of a search for an
"owner" is enough.

See above.

I can get him to walk into a cat carrier using treats, but if I closed the
door.....well I'm not sure how he'd react.

There ya go get him used to doing this maybe as a treat game every night
get him to just go in for the treat when your ready to take him to the
vet shut the door and toss a blanket over the carrier. No matter how
much noise he makes he will calm down and the blanket will help him calm
down faster.

How would a vet be able to handle him if he gets scared and tries to
bounce off the walls?

Yup don't worry about that, I constantly being in cats to my vet who
have been born outside and never touched by humans, they know what to
do. Basicly they will examine and treat him at the same time as
neutering him so he'll be sleeping through it all. Best to have it all
done at once ask them to treat him for fleas and de-worm him while he's
there. You might also consider having him tested for Felv and FiV too
serious diseases cats can get.

Should we be in the examining room, or let the vet handle him?

Nope just drop him off and let the vet take care of it all for you. =)

We're just starting to get his trust and I'd hate to mess things up now.
Any advice as to how to handle him when we got home from the vet?

It shouldn't put him back to much just keep doing the things you have
been doing. I know exactly what its like trying to get them to trust
people again and how much you don't want to upset him and undue your
hard work but he needs to get to a vet. Don't worry you'll regain any
trust lost quickly.

Let him outside? Lock him in the basement (with one of us with him,
of course). Is he likely to not return if we let him out?

Don't let him out too soon after being at the vets. I doubt he'd take
off and not come back but you never know. If he is going to be an
indoor/outdoor kitty wait a week after he's been to the vets or until
you feel confident that he's over it.

The past couple of months he's been allowed to come in and go out
as he pleased. I suppose we should try a cat box with him,

Yes, get him a litter box so he can have a chance to get used to it now.

What type of health risks are my wife and I facing, here? I've gotten
a couple of nips on the ankles (he started tackling my feet and nipping
for a while until he learned "NO", play?...testing dominance?). I've
had a t/d shot in the last 10 yrs and my understanding is that rabies
is not a worry if the cat is healthy 5 days later, but are there other
dangers from a feral? Scratches? Probably a little late to be asking
this.

Don't worry there is not much at all you can catch from a cat the one
exception being ringworm which he doesn't have anyway. There is a small
danger in cat bites as there are in all puncture wounds. I handle cats
daily not all of them are nice, I've done it for years and I'm fine.

And what's the deal with the spontaneous swipes of the paw when he's
enjoying a head and neck rub?

His hitting out at you from time to time I am sure is just because after
being out there so long he's not sure he should trust anyone. Its a
common behaviour they develop after being mistreated. He should pass
but it may take months and months. Rather then shouting at him if he
hurts you screech I don't know how else to put it may the sound of a
wounded cat and he may get the message. Its almost as if they find them
selves trusting you and then get scared and lash out, I don't understand
it either but I do know I see it an awful lot in stray cats especially
the ones that have been out there a longest.

Congratutions on saving him, as I have no doubt that is exactly what you
have done.

Old March 8th 04, 04:57 PM
Priscilla H Ballou

I don't have much to add to the excellent advice you've received from the
previous two posters. He sounds like a stray to me, too.

I just want to say that I think you sound like a fabulous human being, and
your new little cat is one lucky fellow. Have you thought about names
yet?

Priscilla

Old March 8th 04, 06:23 PM
AK

You have to be fair and try to see if the cat has an owner, even though you
may believe him to be a stary he may actually belong to somebody and just be
one of thiose cats that damands to go out a lot (i have one who would rather
stay outside than come in - he caused me lots of worry).

HOWEVER, there is a very simple and easy way to find out if he has an owner
without walking the streets and putting up notices, all you need to do is
put a collar on him with one of those barrel type name tags - put your
telephone number inside it asking the owner to call you. EASY!! Beleive
you me if he has an owner he or she will be on the phone like a shot!

My cat was adopted by someone in a similar way..................here in the
UK cats use cat flaps most of the time and come and go as they please (we
don't have the natural predators over here that you do in the US so it is
pretty safe. My cat goes through collars like nobodies business, anyway he
went out one day and didn't come home again.............................then
when we had just had 200 leaflets printed to put through peoples doors, 5
days later in he came throuh his cat flap wailing his head off with a red
collar on....................needless to say I was on the phone like a shot
to the number on his tag. It would appear that the lady concerned moved
into the street - wait for it - 5 days previously. Eddie had gone around to
have a nosey at the removals and she assumed he was a stray because he has
no collar and he was skinny (he is an oriental that eats like a great
dane!). She had litterally just let him out for the first time and low and
behold he came running back to mum crying his head off. It did get a little
nasty because she insisted he belonged to her so she called the police
howvere he is microchipped so I insisted the police and the two of us got a
vet to check the microchip (fortunately he had one, but I had loads of
photos of him as well right from him being a kitten) so I was able to prove
he was mine as I had had him since he was 12 weeks old and they could see
that from the microchip.

Anyway that's my tale. You are probably right he is a stray but you have to
be sure or you might end up in court................putting a collar on is
the easiest way to find out quickly.

AK

Old March 9th 04, 03:58 AM
Karen M.

Priscilla H Ballou wrote:

I don't have much to add to the excellent advice you've received from the
previous two posters. He sounds like a stray to me, too.

I just want to say that I think you sound like a fabulous human being, and
your new little cat is one lucky fellow. Have you thought about names
yet?

Priscilla

I'm just going to ditto this. I'm glad you've found a new friend!

Karen

Old March 9th 04, 04:14 PM
Mary

"Karen M." wrote in message
Priscilla H Ballou wrote:

I don't have much to add to the excellent advice you've received

from the
previous two posters. He sounds like a stray to me, too.

I just want to say that I think you sound like a fabulous human

being, and
your new little cat is one lucky fellow. Have you thought about

names
yet?

Priscilla

I'm just going to ditto this. I'm glad you've found a new friend!

Karen

Just what I wanted to do. Esp. the part about the "fabulous human
being." And don't worry about getting back on that horse, so to speak.
The joy they give you, plus the joy you can give a homeless cat,
cancels out the terrible pain of losing them. This kitty needs you,
and it sounds to me like he's already reeling you in! Good for both of
you.