[OT] Help Needed

Old December 21st 04, 03:38 PM
CatNipped

Default [OT] Help Needed

I read here that someone had a problem with Microsoft XP and loading Service
Pack 2 - causing their whole computer to crash. Well, my daughter is in
town with the kids this week and she brought her computer for DH to fix.
Not only did it hose her system, but it also hosed her CD ROM drive and
floppy drive so she can't even reformat her c: drive and reload the OS. We
don't know what to do other than buying a new CD ROM just to reload the OS.

What was the fix that worked for you?

Also, I just wanted to let you know that I'm fine (in grandbaby heaven,
actually), but I haven't been and I'll probably not be around much until
after Christmas (at which time I'll have about 8 million posts to catch up
on!!).

Purrs and purrayers to all who need them, my thoughts will be with you, even
if my body will be elsewhere.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old December 21st 04, 03:55 PM
Bill Stock

"CatNipped" wrote in message
[...]

Try this. Haven't installed it yet myself, but Santa is coming.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,118510,00.asp

Old December 21st 04, 04:29 PM
Kreisleriana

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 15:38:44 GMT, "CatNipped"
yodeled:

[...]

Nipped, just don't panic! I've done more things to mess up my
computers more when I panicked. I don't know what to tell you to do
*now* (I know I'm a big help!) but I'm pretty positive you don't have
to buy a new CD ROM!

Evil Windoze purrs from Stinky, and a load of litterbox clumps for
Bill Gates. :P

Theresa
Old December 21st 04, 07:00 PM
Exocat

Belated hello, that's probably be me. I got a new 'puter (but then
I needed one anyway). The new Windoze CD when loaded onto the
old 'un worked for a few days but the old problem of failing during
boot-up (ntfs.sys corrupt or missing) recurred.

I had the perspicacity to buy said old 'un from a firm with a full
3-year
warranty and this has happened 6 months inside that, so now that I'm
happy
with the newbie back it'll go. They'll likely replace the HDD and the
RAM, then with luck it'll serve as backup for another 30 months or so
(?)

MS seem to have brought inbuilt obsolescence to new heights (depths).

Sorry I can't help with specifics for your daughter's machine, but I can
and
will issue purrs for a satisfactory resolution to the problem.

Best wishes

Gordon & the TT

"CatNipped" wrote

Old December 21st 04, 09:43 PM
polonca12000

Sorry I can't be of any help with your computer problem, but I am wishing
you lots of great time with your grandbabies. Soncek sends his purrs for the
computer problem to be fixed.
--
Polonca & Soncek

Old December 21st 04, 11:00 PM
Duke of Url

CatNipped wrote:

I read here that someone had a problem with Microsoft XP and loading
Service Pack 2 - causing their whole computer to crash. Well, my
daughter is in town with the kids this week and she brought her
computer for DH to fix. Not only did it hose her system, but it also
hosed her CD ROM drive and floppy drive so she can't even reformat
her c: drive and reload the OS. We don't know what to do other than
buying a new CD ROM just to reload the OS.

What was the fix that worked for you?

Very strange. I've loaded SP2 into two XPHome systems with not the slightest
bit of trouble. Did you use the CD-ROM that MS mails you for free?
I take it you didn't have any RESTORE discs...

Old December 22nd 04, 02:53 AM
Jeanne Hedge

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:00:45 -0600, "Duke of Url"
wrote:

CatNipped wrote:

I read here that someone had a problem with Microsoft XP and loading
Service Pack 2 - causing their whole computer to crash. Well, my
daughter is in town with the kids this week and she brought her
computer for DH to fix. Not only did it hose her system, but it also
hosed her CD ROM drive and floppy drive so she can't even reformat
her c: drive and reload the OS. We don't know what to do other than
buying a new CD ROM just to reload the OS.

What was the fix that worked for you?

Very strange. I've loaded SP2 into two XPHome systems with not the slightest
bit of trouble. Did you use the CD-ROM that MS mails you for free?
I take it you didn't have any RESTORE discs...

SP2 is a really strange beast. You say you've had no trouble, yet
everyone I know who's installed it has had nothing but trouble since
doing so.

A MS certified software person I know has specifically warned me off
of it until some nebulous day in the future when Microsoft comes out
with SP3, which (as Win98 was to Win95) will fix all the bugs....

I personally won't let XP SP2 anywhere near my machine.

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

============
http://www.jhedge.com
Old December 24th 04, 02:21 PM
bonbon

wrote:

[...]

Installing Service Pack 2 can't break hardware. It can make it
inaccessable though. Boot off the Windows XP cd and go from there.
You may have to go into the Bios to enable boot from cd.

DH is a computer genious, and he's telling me what to type standing in
back of me right now.

-bonbon