Annual checkups

Old August 7th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

Default Annual checkups

DW is going to do the honors/injustice and take the kids. The carrier
for Mistletoe is upstairs in the main living area and Smokey's leash has
been fetched from the garage.

Missy: Uh-oh. The box! Gotta go hide. Ow! No Mom, please don't
catch me by my tail. No fair. Aw, rats! She got me and she's heading
for the box! I don't like this! MEO-O-O-OW! HI-S-S-S-S! D*mn! She
put me in the box and locked the door.

Oh, no! The box is moving! Please, Mom, don't put the box in the
rumbly monster! You're not going to leave me in here by myself, are
you, Mom? Mom? MOM! Where did you go! I don't like this one bit.
I'll just hide under my pad. Now you can't see me.

Smokey: Huh, wha'? I'm enjoying my nap here, Mom. Leave me alone.
Oh, you got the leash? Cool! Let me sit up straight and still for you.
I lurve going OUT!

DW leads Smokey (actually the other way around) out to the car in the
garage. He jumps in and sits up in the passenger seat looking around.
Mom gets in and starts off to "the checkup place" (we don't use the
V-word here). It's about a 45-minute trip.

Halfway there

Missy: (Not a sound)

Smokey: Hey, Mom? Aren't we there yet? Me-o-o-o-w. C'mon Mom, This
was OK for a while but I'm ready for the rumbly thing to be quiet.
Me-o-o-o-w. Me-o-o-ow. Me-o-o-o-ow.

Arriving

Missy: I sure am glad Mom made the rumbly monster shut up. But I don't
know where I am. I'll just keep hiding here under my pad.

Smokey: Ooh! I know this place. This is where my friend Dr. H is!
Hurry up, Mom! Gotta go see my friends!

At the reception Desk

Missy: (not a sound; not moving a muscle)

Smokey: Mom? Can't you make that leash thing longer? Hurry, Mom. My
"buds" are waiting. Hi Jamie(receptionist)! Purr, purr, purr. I'll
just come around the counter and help you with what you're doing. (Rubs
up against Jamie's leg purring up a storm). He-l-l-o, Lettie(shop cat)!
Haven't seen you for ages! (Headbutt, purr-purr) It's so-o-o good to
see you again! Huh? Aw, Mom, Lettie and I are having a chat. Not
ready yet... OK, I'm coming. Don't choke me with the leash!

In the exam room

Missy: NO, MOM! I don't wanna go first! I'm comfy in my box. Don't
make me get ... (is unceremoniously dumped on the exam table). Dr. H
comes in and makes a fuss over Missy, who promptly presents her "good
side" to him. "Thanks, Missy. We'll just start there. (Inserts
thermometer) HEY! That's not what I sat that way for! If you do that
to me, can I do it to you? M-E-E-E-O-w! H-I-S-S-S!

Doc: (pulls the thermometer out) "Oh, Missy, you're such a brat. Her
temp is fine."

Smokey: (jumps up on the exam table and yowls) Hey, that's MY
doc-buddy. Purr-purr. Leave my doc-buddy alone. You always want all
the attention.

Doc: It's OK, Smokey. I'll get to you shortly, but it's Missy's turn
right now.

Missy: Do not want the attention! I was just fine in my box but he
dumped me out and did EVIL things to me. Can you make him leave me alone?

Doc: (Puts Missy on the scale) "She's certainly 'fluffy' isn't she".
We might want to change her diet to something a bit less caloric.
Otherwise she's fine.

Missy: Can I go back in the box now? (Mom puts the carrier up on the
table). My BOX! Oh, good! I can hide again! (Climbs back into the
box and burrows under the padding).

Smokey: (is put back up on the table). Hi-i-i-i-i, Doc! I'm sure glad
to see you. Purr-purr-purr-purr. (Doc supplies skritches and
appropriate loving touches - the physical part of the exam). Uh, Doc?
What are you poking "back there". That doesn't feel good. Hey! Don't
poke stuff in there! That's supposed to be exhaust, not intake! Oh,
well, you're done with that aren't you? Purr-purr-purr-purr-purr.

Doc: Smokey, quit purring. I can't hear your heart with my stethoscope.

Smokey: Doc, you're the bestest! Purr-purr-purr. (Doc blows in
Smokey's face) Hey! What's that wind? Purring stops momentarily. Oh,
it's just Doc playing with me. I lurve my Doc! Purr-purr-purr-purr.

Doc: It looks like they're both very healthy and good to go for another
year. Next time I see Missy, I hope there will be less of her.

Missy: (Not a sound; She's still hiding in the carrier).

Smokey: Purr-purr-purr

Mom takes the kids and goes out front to settle accounts. Missy doesn't
move. Smokey walks out on his leash and goes straight for the reception
desk.

Smokey: Hi, Jamie! How ya doing? Need help yet? Let me walk my leash
around your feet. Purr-purr-purr-purr. Mom, I'm still busy. Let me
help Jamie some more.

Mom: Come ON, Smokey, It's time for us to go home.

Smokey: Can I just stay here, Mom? Jamie needs some more help and I
need to visit with Lettie some more. (Jamie untangles her feet from the
leash; Lettie gives Smokey a quick head butt - "that'll have to do for
now, big boy"). OK, Mom, I'm coming. Bye, Jamie. Bye, Lettie.
Purr-purr-purr-purr.

The trio get back in the car and come home, none except for Mom's debit
card the worse for wear.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 7th 06, 03:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sandy

ROFL!

Sandy

Old August 7th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Sam wrote:

Smokey: Can I just stay here, Mom? Jamie needs some more help and I
need to visit with Lettie some more. (Jamie untangles her feet from the
leash; Lettie gives Smokey a quick head butt - "that'll have to do for
now, big boy"). OK, Mom, I'm coming. Bye, Jamie. Bye, Lettie.
Purr-purr-purr-purr.

LOL! Great account, Sam! What a sweetie Smokey is. Purrs that Missy
isn't too put out by her diet.

Old August 7th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

You're a good writer, Sam, and Mistletoe must be a good editor. ;-)

Lindy hates the box and doesn't want to go, but when she's on the table
getting attention, the doctor has trouble hearing her heart too, because of
the purring. The last time, the vet actually put some rubbing alcohol on a
cotton ball and had the tech hold it under her nose to make her stop purring
for a few seconds.

Joy

Old August 7th 06, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tanada

"Sam" wrote in message
DW is going to do the honors/injustice and take the kids. The carrier for
Mistletoe is upstairs in the main living area and Smokey's leash has been
fetched from the garage.

LOL, Ramona has my sympathy. Taking one cat to TED is hard, but two is much
harder. I do want to know how you got Smokey to love being on a leash
though.

The last time we had to take the crew to TED, we borrowed a van and driver.
Rob and him took the cats and I drove Jim, Amanda, and the d-thing. I told
TED that we're going to have to start staggering the appointment things as
it isn't cheap or easy to take them all at once. She just laughed at me.

Pine Cone is in kitty heaven. The male TED took on a female partner. Pine
Cone loves the womens and we couldn't get him to stop purring during the
exam, until I told him that he'd better quiet down, or we'd have to get the
MALE TED. He stopped long enough for the female TED to get a reading. With
all those womens making a fuss over him, he quickly forgave me for pointing
out that there is a male on the staff.

Pam S.

Old August 9th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sam

tanada wrote:
"Sam" wrote in message
[...]

Not much to tell about Smokey and the leash, actually. He just *HATED*
being put in "da box" and Ramona found a retractable leash and decided
to try it. First couple of times, Smokey did a "cat statue" trick, but
once he learned it meant "go outside in the front yard", he became a fan.

We let ours out in the back (under full supervision, of course) where
it's fully fenced and they've never shown any inclination to flee
(They's smart, dem cats!). But Smokey knows that when the leash is
involved, he gets to go out in the *front* yard, and maybe go for a
walkabout. So when the leash appears, Smokey's ready and willing.

He even tolerates the rumbly monster fairly well, although halfway
through the trip to the v*t, he starts meowing. Not sure if he knows
where they're going and he's wondering "are we there yet?".

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 9th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
polonca12000

Sam wrote:

DW is going to do the honors/injustice and take the kids. The carrier
for Mistletoe is upstairs in the main living area and Smokey's leash has
been fetched from the garage.

Missy: Uh-oh. The box! Gotta go hide. Ow! No Mom, please don't
catch me by my tail. No fair. Aw, rats! She got me and she's heading
for the box! I don't like this! MEO-O-O-OW! HI-S-S-S-S! D*mn! She
put me in the box and locked the door.

Oh, no! The box is moving! Please, Mom, don't put the box in the
rumbly monster! You're not going to leave me in here by myself, are
you, Mom? Mom? MOM! Where did you go! I don't like this one bit.
I'll just hide under my pad. Now you can't see me.

Smokey: Huh, wha'? I'm enjoying my nap here, Mom. Leave me alone. Oh,
you got the leash? Cool! Let me sit up straight and still for you. I
lurve going OUT!

snip
The trio get back in the car and come home, none except for Mom's debit
card the worse for wear.

This is so well written! Thanks.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Annual TED visit Susan M Cat anecdotes 4 July 11th 06 09:47 PM
Feline annual flu-booster vac - necessary? Ellie Bentley Cats - misc 1 December 13th 05 10:47 PM
Annual flu-enteritus vacs - necessary? Ellie Bentley Cat health & behaviour 2 December 10th 05 10:53 PM
FVR-CP Vaccination: Only Annual? Caroline Cat health & behaviour 12 March 26th 04 01:14 AM
Should every cat get an annual vet exam ? [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 36 October 1st 03 06:59 PM