Facebook/Twitter

Old February 23rd 10, 01:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lucy's Mom[_2_]

Default Facebook/Twitter

Hi All,

There seems to be some issues with my employer regarding our use of
Facebook and other social media, so until they get their heads out of
you-know-where and into the current century, I'll have to bow out.
I've been recieving y'alls invites and would love to participate but
we need my job. AFAIK, the occassional usenet post hasn't been
outlawed yet but that could change.

I'm so sorry..
Old February 23rd 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Lucy's Mom wrote:
Hi All,

There seems to be some issues with my employer regarding our use of
Facebook and other social media, so until they get their heads out of
you-know-where and into the current century, I'll have to bow out.
I've been recieving y'alls invites and would love to participate but
we need my job. AFAIK, the occassional usenet post hasn't been
outlawed yet but that could change.

I'm so sorry..

Considering how much easier those "social media" make identity theft,
IMO your employer has the right idea! Laying your home computer open to
any hacker with the inclination to work mischief with your personal
information is your own business - doing the same when you post from an
employer's computer network is something else again.
Old February 23rd 10, 07:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Lucy's Mom" wrote in message
Hi All,

There seems to be some issues with my employer regarding our use of
Facebook and other social media, so until they get their heads out
of
you-know-where and into the current century, I'll have to bow out.
I've been recieving y'alls invites and would love to participate
but
we need my job. AFAIK, the occassional usenet post hasn't been
outlawed yet but that could change.

I'm so sorry..

I'm sorry too.

If I were an employer, facebook would make me awfully nervous too
though. I'd be uneasy using it myself if I still had other peoples
tax information on my computer. It doesn't seem to be all that
secure.

We are available at the library though! Take a peek sometime.

Jo

Old February 23rd 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

Lucy's Mom wrote:
Hi All,

There seems to be some issues with my employer regarding our use of
Facebook and other social media, so until they get their heads out of
you-know-where and into the current century, I'll have to bow out.
I've been recieving y'alls invites and would love to participate but
we need my job. AFAIK, the occassional usenet post hasn't been
outlawed yet but that could change.

I'm so sorry..

Considering how much easier those "social media" make identity theft,
IMO your employer has the right idea! Laying your home computer open to
any hacker with the inclination to work mischief with your personal
information is your own business - doing the same when you post from an
employer's computer network is something else again.

In what way does "social media" lay open a computer to any hacker?

Cats leave pawprints on your heart
Old February 23rd 10, 10:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

m...

Lucy's Mom wrote:
Hi All,

There seems to be some issues with my employer regarding our use of
Facebook and other social media, so until they get their heads out of
you-know-where and into the current century, I'll have to bow out.
I've been recieving y'alls invites and would love to participate but
we need my job. AFAIK, the occassional usenet post hasn't been
outlawed yet but that could change.

I'm so sorry..

Considering how much easier those "social media" make identity theft, IMO
your employer has the right idea! Laying your home computer open to any
hacker with the inclination to work mischief with your personal
information is your own business - doing the same when you post from an
employer's computer network is something else again.

I agree, Evelyn! My former employer in TN had to lock down the firewall and
allow admin-only access to install even work-related software updates
because people kept installing frivilous "chat" software and spending time
online rather than do their jobs. (This was well before the days of
Facebook & Twitter.) Get a grip, people, it's not *your* computer! This
sort of thing doesn't belong in the workplace. You want to play? Do it on
your own time. At home.

Jill

Old February 23rd 10, 11:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Lucy's Mom wrote:
[...]

Hackers are everywhere. And does such a thing belong in the workplace?
Nope. That's not what the employer is paying the employees to do.

Jill

Old February 24th 10, 02:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

In ,
jmcquown typed:

Lucy's Mom wrote:
[...]

Such pages are blocked here at work because they are not relevant to our
company's core business ideals, and are big timewasters. As much as its
annoying, I have to agree with my employer on this - if they let me had
Facebook here, even the cut down, no applications Facebook, I'd still spend
a large amount of their time playing with it rather than doing the stuff I"m
paid to do. Fair enough, really.

Yowie

Old February 24th 10, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Yowie" wrote in message
In ,
jmcquown typed:

Lucy's Mom wrote:
[...]

Much as I hate "big brother" employers, I have to agree. It was a
problem for me when I was self-employed and worked alone a good part
of the time. Just too easy to get involved in the computer and
forget time. Even worse when I was nearing retirement and moved the
office into my home. Once I had a computer and a kitchen it was hard
to get anything done.

Jo

Old February 24th 10, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine Burel[_2_]

Location: Albuquerque, NM, USA

You can try checking your local library - ours has computers for internet
access if you sign up for it? In the meantime,
sending purrs.
Christine

Old February 24th 10, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Christine Burel" wrote in message
You can try checking your local library - ours has computers for internet
access if you sign up for it? In the meantime,
sending purrs.
Christine

LOL I'm sorry, but have you ever used a computer at the public library?
They are the slowest things on the planet. I doubt you could accomplish
much even on your lunch hour

Jill