rope-like line up back of each thigh

Old April 2nd 04, 07:25 AM
Lyne

Default rope-like line up back of each thigh

My 5-month old kitten (Ava) has a rope-like line running up the back
of each thigh. It almost feels like a tendon but I think I felt a
scabby or rough area at one end. These lines are about 4 inches long
and feel like the thickness of maybe 4 strands of uncooked spaghetti.
She was found at 4-5 weeks and was not wormed or vaccinated until I
got her at about 8-9 weeks.

I swore I saw tapeworms but her fecal was negative. She never licks
around her anus like it is itchy but I still think I will get a wormer
when she is spayed.

This is really a weird thing - I can roll them between my fingers and
it is like a string of beads. She is otherwise very healthy and
active. She has a soft, thick coat and is of a normal weight.

Has anyone ever seen or heard of something like this?

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.
Old April 2nd 04, 01:18 PM
Mary

"Lyne" wrote in message
My 5-month old kitten (Ava) has a rope-like line running up the back
of each thigh. It almost feels like a tendon but I think I felt a
scabby or rough area at one end. These lines are about 4 inches

long
and feel like the thickness of maybe 4 strands of uncooked

spaghetti.
She was found at 4-5 weeks and was not wormed or vaccinated until I
got her at about 8-9 weeks.

First, you will want to take Ava to your vet to get a proper
diagnosis.
Anything appearing to be growing on a cat is worrisome and I cannot
stand it until I get to the vet.

That said, what Ava has is probably something called Linear Granuloma,
not as bad as it sounds, not at all life threatening, but annoying to
the cat as the
little bumps apparently itch. It is part of a syndrome that is related
to allergic reactions. See this web site that someone here sent me to:

http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proce...A2002&PID=2544

I noticed bumps in a straight line on the back of my cat's legs,
running
along a tendon, or appearing to. The vet just felt her legs and told
me she had Eosinophilic Skin Disease--the rarest type appears in lines
and is sometimes referred to as "linear granuloma."

Cheeky also has asthma. My vet has elected to treat both her
ESD and asthma with shots of a steroid called Depo Medrol--but there
are other treatments and you should be aware of the fact that these
steroids have side effects such as the development of diabetes in cats
so disposed and other problems. You will want your vet to explain all
the options and all the side effects. Cheeks gets away with 3-4 shots
a year, and it keeps the bumps and the asthma away. It is my
understanding that nobody has proven that this condition (ESD) is in
any way life threatening or something that can shorten your cat's
life. But you need to have her seen.

Good luck and let us know what the vet says.

Old April 3rd 04, 07:15 AM
Lyne

"Mary" wrote:

"Lyne" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Mary, I'm so excited to have an idea about this. The link you gave me
is pretty scientific but I could tell that it was talking about what
Ava has. I don't know if it is itching her yet because I just noticed
it. I love on her all of the time but I guess I just didn't love her
there. She is one of those "only on her own terms" kitties. I'm so
used to seeing cats grooming that I would not have thought it unusual
to see her licking there. Of course now I can pay attention until her
vet appointment.

I'll keep the group posted. Thanks again.

Lyne

Remove SPAMDEFENSE in address to reply.

Old April 3rd 04, 04:25 PM
Mary

"Lyne" wrote in message

Mary, I'm so excited to have an idea about this. The link you gave

me
is pretty scientific but I could tell that it was talking about what
Ava has.

There are other, simpler sites but this one is the best one. It
took me a while to work through the scientific language. (Not
that I managed to get it all.)

I don't know if it is itching her yet because I just noticed
it. I love on her all of the time but I guess I just didn't love

her
there.

Hee! I am like that too. I love to catch Cheeks in her window
chattering at the birds and squirrels--she is chest high and I
can love on her. That's how I felt her bumps.

She is one of those "only on her own terms" kitties. I'm so
used to seeing cats grooming that I would not have thought it

unusual
to see her licking there. Of course now I can pay attention until

her
vet appointment.

I really hope this is what it is, or something even more
innocuous.

I'll keep the group posted. Thanks again.

We'll look forward to hearing what your
vet has to say. Several of us here have cats
with this complex, and we are always wondering
about better treatments. Give Ava a good ear
scratch for me!