Emily's latest vet visit

Old February 17th 05, 06:58 PM
Bobcat

Default Emily's latest vet visit

Emily's a rare cat. Since kittenhood she's actually enjoyed visiting the
vet. She likes all the shiny bottles and vials on the counter just out of
her reach; and she likes all the attention. But this created a problem
during today's visit. She began to purr. She purred when the vet pried open
her mouth to check her teeth. She purred when he examined her from tip to
tail. She even purred when he gave her two hypodermic syringes of serum. But
when he tried to hear her heart with the stethoscope, all he got was a deep
rumble. We tried everything to stop Emily purring. Finally we stood her on
her hind legs, and this confused her just long enough for the doctor to hear
her heartbeat before the rumble resumed. Dear little Emily - she always
finds some way to complicate things!

Old February 17th 05, 07:17 PM
Katz

Moxie sometimes purrs at the vet's, too. He says it's because she's
nervous. Makes it hard to check her heart. Silly girls!

Katz

Old February 17th 05, 07:25 PM
CatNipped

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Emily's a rare cat. Since kittenhood she's actually enjoyed visiting the
vet. She likes all the shiny bottles and vials on the counter just out of
her reach; and she likes all the attention. But this created a problem
during today's visit. She began to purr. She purred when the vet pried
open her mouth to check her teeth. She purred when he examined her from
tip to tail. She even purred when he gave her two hypodermic syringes of
serum. But when he tried to hear her heart with the stethoscope, all he
got was a deep rumble. We tried everything to stop Emily purring. Finally
we stood her on her hind legs, and this confused her just long enough for
the doctor to hear her heartbeat before the rumble resumed. Dear little
Emily - she always finds some way to complicate things!

AAAWWWWWW! Even though it "complicates" hearing her heartbeat, I bet the
vet still would rather examine her than a hissy/spitty/bitey/scratchy cat
(like my Bandit! ;).

Hugs,

catNipped

Old February 17th 05, 07:36 PM
jmcquown

CatNipped wrote:
"Bobcat" wrote in message
[...]

Persia gets so scared at the vet she sticks her head under the vet tech's
armpit. It's like she thinks if we can't see her head she's not really
there! LOL

Cats DO purr (usually more loudly) to attempt to calm themselves down in
stressful situations.

Jill

Old February 17th 05, 07:42 PM
Katz

jmcquown wrote:

Persia gets so scared at the vet she sticks her head under the vet

tech's
armpit. It's like she thinks if we can't see her head she's not

really
there! LOL

Several of my cats have been known to put their heads in my armpit
while at the vet's. LOL. "Mommy, help!"

Old February 17th 05, 08:24 PM
JB

In ,
jmcquown shouted to everyone in earshot,

Cats DO purr (usually more loudly) to attempt to calm themselves down in
stressful situations.

Ahh, maybe that would explain Buck's purring as/after I gave her a
nice, wet bath when my cousins delivered her (and Grizzly) to my
house.

Heh, this thread made me remember one of Buck's vet visits... after
the tech weighed her and left the room, she was sitting on the scale
looking utterly terrified, so I went to pick her up, and she just
about took the scale with her (and she's not big at all). She calmed
down quite a bit by the time the vet was done with her, though. Back
then, she was scared of just about everybody she didn't know,
regardless of setting, but as the vet was writing on the charts, she
first peered up onto the exam counter (where he was writing) from the
bench beside it and then actually hopped up there and asked him for
scritches.

Jeff
Old February 17th 05, 09:11 PM
CatNipped

"jmcquown" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
"Bobcat" wrote in message
[...]

AAWWWW poor baby! But that's so cute!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 17th 05, 11:45 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-17, Katz penned:

Several of my cats have been known to put their heads in my armpit while at
the vet's. LOL. "Mommy, help!"

The vet office is the only place where I am allowed to hold Oscar for more
than 0.2 picoseconds. In fact, it's getting her to let *go* of me that's the
problem.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 18th 05, 04:57 AM
Sam Nash

"Bobcat" wrote in message
Emily's a rare cat. Since kittenhood she's actually enjoyed visiting the
vet. She likes all the shiny bottles and vials on the counter just out of
her reach; and she likes all the attention. But this created a problem
during today's visit. She began to purr. She purred when the vet pried
open her mouth to check her teeth. She purred when he examined her from
tip to tail. She even purred when he gave her two hypodermic syringes of
serum. But when he tried to hear her heart with the stethoscope, all he
got was a deep rumble. We tried everything to stop Emily purring. Finally
we stood her on her hind legs, and this confused her just long enough for
the doctor to hear her heartbeat before the rumble resumed. Dear little
Emily - she always finds some way to complicate things!

Our Smokey Lo-o-oves his vet. Loud, rumbly purrs start as soon as he gets
into the office and don't stop until we leave. He's always anxious to get
into the office and doesn't want to leave. Doesn't matter what the vet does
to him, he's all purrs.

Old February 18th 05, 07:07 PM
Gabey8

[...]

LOL! Melody (RB) did exactly the same thing, the first time I brought her
and Harmony (also RB) to the vet. They were kittens and this was my
required "bring the cats to the vet after adopting them from the shelter"
vet appointment.

From the moment the checkup began, Melody purred her little fuzzy head
off, which was fine until it was time to check her heartbeat. NOTHING got
her to stop purring. The vet covered her eyes abruptly. PURRRR. He blew
air in the cat's face. PURRRR. He picked her up under her front legs only,
so that her hind legs were dangling just above the tabletop. PURRRR.

He finally had to give up on hearing her heartbeat. She was purring way
too loudly for him to hear anything. Any cat who can purr that vigorously
for that long must have a healthy heart, anyway.

Harmony, meanwhile, was fine when it came time to check her heartbeat. Her
TEMPERATURE, however, was another story. This was 1990, and they were
still using glass thermometers at the time. The instant that thermometer
went in, Harmony let out a screech fit to shatter every piece of glass
within a three-block radius. I can only imagine how long it took the
owners of pets in the waiting room to pry said pets off the ceiling after
Harmony produced that noise.

Needless to say, out came the thermometer at once. So much for taking
Harmony's temperature. No cat with the amount of energy it took to protest
that vigorously could possibly be running a fever, anyway.

So the end result was that I had one kitten with no heartbeat and one with
no temperature, but both received a clean bill of health. )

Donna, and the kitties whose first vet visit went MUCH more smoothly,
Captain and Stanley

First TED visit for the boys Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 13 January 26th 05 04:38 PM
Sam's TED visit Steve Touchstone Cat anecdotes 6 January 6th 05 08:15 PM
Emily's Mischief Quotient Bobcat Cat anecdotes 22 January 10th 04 06:30 AM
Bunters visit JP Hobbs Cat anecdotes 4 December 15th 03 04:53 AM
Rough Vet Visit, Aloof Cat Noreen Cooper Cat health & behaviour 16 August 18th 03 06:16 AM