Maui off to TED tuday, pleeze purrs, and iffn' ennywun gots advise, we need it.

Old November 23rd 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
FurrsomeThreesome

Default Maui off to TED tuday, pleeze purrs, and iffn' ennywun gots advise, we need it.

Hellow all -

The humin is posting here for a bit, cuz you kitties are sumtimes nicer
than all the other cat groups (and I type meowchat automatically, they
getz mad).

We've had a heck of a worry lately with Maui-cat and more than a little
frustration getting to our TED, who has always been very good with us
all but has been too busy to call.

Maui has dramatically lost weight since oh, about mid-summer. Over 10
lbs down to 7 and a quarter. His bone are stuck out every which way.

Several weeks back now, we had him "incarcerated" for a night and a day
at TED's, where they sampled everything there was to sample, X-rayed
him, stole blood and all - with no unusual results. TED had nothing to
tell me, her tech just read me some numbers and said they were all
normal except for tiny, tiny elevations in potassium and sodium, which
could be explained by his love of nanners.

The only thing I've heard since was a recommendation for exploratory
surgery. Not something I wish to pursue lightly.

In the intervening weeks I think we've held and maybe increased his
weight some. I started trying just about everything to get him to eat,
as he really did not seem to be eating - I never saw him near the
dishes, though he must have eaten some or he's not have survived. We
have switched from Natural Balance Venison and Green Pea, which we had
been feeding exclusively to try to handle some alleged "skin allergies"
which cause Maui and Blue to over-groom, back to a more economical and
apparently palatable Performatrin Lamb and Rice. He will eat this, if
not enthusiastically, at least in preference to the Venison. We've
also started feeding "junk food" treats again - Pounces and Whisker
Lickin's and the like - as he IS quite keen on those, and we had
stopped everything except the venison for 10 weeks working on the
allergy theory (it didn't really help, btw). He will not touch wet
food.

We also added a daily small does of hairball remedy and one of Velcote
based on the fact that ALL my cats are barfy, and Maui and Blue both
have this itchy-scabby-licky problem.

Maui is still, however, skinny, withdrawn, and apparently
uncomfortable. When he eats, even a treat he is keen on, he seems to
munch and munch and munch without making any progress on chewing the
crunchy bit, just moving it around in his mouth. Even with his banana
bits, he seems to get something in his mouth then it "sticks" and he
seems to be trying to dislodge it. He sometimes begins to eat then
backs away, and his latest "skin problem" has involved rubbing a spot
raw at the hinge of his jaw, and breaking off most of his whiskers, on
the left side.

I called my vet yesterday and said "you can book me in for another look
at this cat, or send my records so I can go elsewhere" because I've
been SOOOO frustrated with not being called back after repeated calls
that we need more help but I'm not just dropping him off for surgery.
So, we're booked for 4:30 today. I want to talk to her about his TEETH
- based on his latest behaviour, coupled with the weight loss and
reluctance to eat, it seems perfectly sensible to me that we may have
completely overlooked that poor Maui has a sore mouth. His teeth don't
look bad - Sprouts have been worse, for sure, appearance-wise - but
they are showing some tartar and browning on the molars, for the few
milliseconds I can look before he tries to chew off my finger and run.

I know this has gotten long. Does any kitty's person think this sounds
familiar? Any suggestions for getting a finicky, skinny cat to fatten
up again? Has anyone had dental experiences that caused this? And,
for you kitties, we would rilly appurreciate sum purrs for Maui
him-cat. Meowmie's certainly not ready to have another kitty leave
for the Brij any time soon.

Fangu;

Johanna and Blue and Sprout and Maui!

Old November 23rd 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sylvia M

Purrz ofcourse!
Could it be trubble swallowing?
Tried skritching/petting/feeling under-chin and ruff area?
More for TED to do.

Report back on results of visit, please.

Sylvia

Old November 24th 06, 12:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Timmie's Mommy

Furrsome threesome wrote:...
I know this has gotten long. Does any kitty's person think this sounds
familiar? Any suggestions for getting a finicky, skinny cat to fatten
up again? Has anyone had dental experiences that caused this? And,
for you kitties, we would rilly appurreciate sum purrs for Maui
him-cat. Meowmie's certainly not ready to have another kitty leave
for the Brij any time soon.

Purrs for Maui. Dis sowns like a sore mouf. Da Maui him cat mite has
a toofake. When da stoopid Jasmin kitty duzzn't eats (hers anorexic,
I finks), da Meowmie buys peeple baby food chikken for her. Da reel
young baby peeple kind, wif nuffin innit wut needs ta be chewed. Iffen
Jasmin wouldn't eet dat offa dish, da Meowmie rubs it on her facefurs
aroun her mowf, an onna top her frunt feets. Den da Jasmin kitty likks
it off. And repeat. And repeat. Hope dis helps a little.

Timmie,
catcerned. Katzes need ta eet. Allatime.

Old November 24th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^

On 23 Nov 2006 11:02:13 -0800, FurrsomeThreesome's nimble, little paws
typed:

We've had a heck of a worry lately with Maui-cat and more than a little
frustration getting to our TED, who has always been very good with us
all but has been too busy to call.

Purrs to Maui fur a kwik recoffery!
Purrrrrrrrrrrr..................................

Owr hooman sez dattid ifn dis TED duzzent cum up wif a gud answer, itz
time to try anofer TED!

--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs
11/23/2006 7:58:11 PM
anais_737+at+verizon+dot+net
Old November 24th 06, 08:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
unclefred

FurrsomeThreesome wrote:

[...]

We are so sorry to hear of this. Yes, it sounds like a sore mouth, a very
sore mouth, causing the unhappiness. We're purring fur Maui-cat and Blue
too. We hope da TED can find the root uv da problem an get it fixed
gudgud.

Diana, Ryan & Cinnamon.

--
Regards,
Fred Williams
Old November 25th 06, 02:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Ralph & His Clowder

My daughter's cat had similar symptoms and ended up having all but two
teeth removed. Though there are, of course, myriad possibilities, I
think bad teeth or other oral woes deserve exploration -- by a new TED
if necessary. That kind of weight loss should not be taken lightly. And
what about ultrasound before surgery if it's not his mouth? I agree
surgery is not something you do unless necessary! Let us know what you
find out!
Gabrielle

Weze purrrrrring fur Maui furrrrry hard!
Purrrrrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrum
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrrrum
Purrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrum
Purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrumpurrrrrrrrrum
purrrrrrrrpurrrrrrrpurrrrrrr
Ralph, Fred, Clyde, Alice, & Jane

Old November 25th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stormmee

as mine hooman wuz readin diz all hersef kuld thing of wuz teefz, so i wuuld
certainly luk at diz, anna da hooman alzo thinkz dat ifin da ted did ofur
luk diz dat a new ted iz in order beclawz diz iz da furzt thing owr ted duz,
owr ted sayed dat mozt of da furz, anna belli issuez startz inna teef area,
Tiger, who hatez tedz but thinkz we haza gud one ifin der iz suchathing
oups.com...

Old November 26th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Stacey Weinberger

We're sending healing purrs for Maui and insight purrs for his TED. Please
let us know how he is doing!

Stacey, Sebastian, Julian, and Moon

Old November 27th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
meeee

We hops maui turns owt tu be okay....it dus sownd lyke sore teefs dussnt it?
Hope yur TED will du sumfing yuseful fur onst. We is awl purring frum
Catstraylia fur Maui....
Jasmine, lukkin wurreed

Old November 27th 06, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
FurrsomeThreesome

We iz bak. TED agrees dat Maui has lots of tartar and inflammations,
particlerly on the RITE side whut is whare he's rubbin off his furs
now. SO - he is goin' fur a gud gud teef cleening and a RILLY RILLY
gud luk at his mouf on Fursday.

TED is awlso goin' tu du a teeny liddle skin biopsy, as bof Maui and
Blue haf nekkid licky-spot problems purractically sinse we got dem, an'
we'ze had no results frum speshul foods.

We has thot ov de ultrasound, as we did dat wif Mr. Lenny 'way back,
but we'ze will see if we'ze get results frum bedder teef furst. Maui
is ackshewly eetin' now - he wanted diffurent kibble and "junk food"
treets, but he effen eeted in frunt of TED which he duzn't do. He
still duzn't eet lots - he eets a bit, den wanders off. He now
offishly weighs less than Blue! Which is sayin sumpin cuz Blue is
TEENY. Blue is 7.2 pounds. Maui is now 6.9, but we's hopin now dat we
fouwnd he wanted Lamb and Rice insted of Venison and Green Pea, dat he
will eet more.

Fangu fur da purrs, and keep dem comin!

Blue fur de Furrsome.