Neutering and its effects

Old September 28th 03, 12:58 AM
Priscilla Ballou

In article ,
Sandra Loosemore wrote:

"Ollie Burger" writes:

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.

My guy Nerf tries to do this to Slinky once in a while, but on the
rare occasions when he actually manages to get her pinned down, he
seems to think that the natural thing to do is just give her ears a
thorough washing! Which Slinky utterly hates, of course. :-P

With my cats, a friendly ear-washing often turns into a game of "bite
your ear" and a fun tussle/chase.

BTW, there are numerous species in which one can observe homosexual
behavior. I don't know if cats are among them. Dominance mounting is
not, however, sexual except in its symbolism.

Priscilla
--
The Episcopal Church welcomes you... and you... and you....

Old September 28th 03, 02:59 AM
William Hamblen

On 2003-09-27, Rachel wrote:

Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday, everything went
great and he has recovered extremely well from his "ordeal". My question is
how long is it usually before you might see a difference in the cats
personality? I think there are some changes already such as he doesn't seem
to do the mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back up
and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little calmer. I am hoping
that he becomes a little more affectionate with time as he matures coupled
with the neutering.

I think neutering doesn't affect personality that much. I've had intact
toms that were affectionate and castrated toms that were aloof. The
main thing is that they don't roam and fight as much if they are indoor/
outdoor cats or spray as much if they are indoor cats. The toms I've had
that had free access to the outdoors never sprayed in the house, intact
or not. The urine from a castrated tom doesn't smell as bad as that
from an intact tom, so even when they do spray it isn't quite as awful.

--
When the fog came in on little cat feet last night, it left these little
muddy paw prints on the hood of my car.

Old September 28th 03, 02:59 AM
William Hamblen

Old September 28th 03, 02:59 AM
William Hamblen

Old September 28th 03, 04:36 AM
Philip ®

In ,
Ollie Burger being of bellicose mind posted:
Elizabeth Blake wrote in message
hlink.net...
My cat Otto was neutered between 6-7 months. I found him on the
street, so I wasn't sure of his exact age. At the first vet
visit she guessed him to be around 6 months old, and he was
neutered a few weeks later. He was super affectionate when I
found him and he stayed that way after the operation. His
personality didn't seem to change at all. He's now 4 years old,
and he does like to jump on Tiger, who is a 13 year old spayed
female. To me it looks sexual - he jumps on her, straddling her
back, and bites her neck. Tiger does not appreciate this and
usually wriggles out from under him in a matter of seconds. I
never noticed him doing that before he was neutered, but in
those first few weeks Tiger pretty much hid anyway.

Liz

I've also noticed this 'mounting' behavior between
neutered males as well... since "gay cat" is likely
not the answer, I assumed this behavior to be
simply a cat's way of expressing dominance.
snip
OB

That's all the world needs now is fudge packing felines.

--

~~Philip

"Never let school interfere
with your education - Mark Twain"

Old September 28th 03, 04:36 AM
Philip ®

In ,
~*SooZy*~ being of bellicose mind
posted:
"Philip ®" wrote in message
nk.net...
In ,
Rachel being of bellicose mind posted:
Hi, I had my five month old kitten neutered last Tuesday,
everything went great and he has recovered extremely well from
his "ordeal". My question is how long is it usually before you
might see a difference in the cats personality? I think there
are some changes already such as he doesn't seem to do the
mock spraying thing (he hadn't started spraying but would back
up and pretend to) as much, also I think he seems a little
calmer. I am hoping that he becomes a little more affectionate
with time as he matures coupled with the neutering.

Thanks in advance.

Rachel

What's a mock?
--

~~Philip

could it be standing stamping his feet, bottom up against the
wall, tail shaking with no spray coming out ;-)

I was joking when I asked what a "mock" was.

Rusty does that arched back, rubbing a leg or furniture, and then
stick his tail straight up and pretend he's about to spray ... all
with a silly smirk on his puss.