My cat is boycotting me after first Vet visit!

Old August 1st 08, 12:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
AKT

Default My cat is boycotting me after first Vet visit!

She showed up at our door about a year ago, when she was just a kitten,
visited us regularly, and soon decided she'd like to move in with us. I
ended up canceling many planned vacations on a short notice, just to be
home to take care of her. She doesn't like to be picked up by anyone,
but in every other way I was her favorite and she followed me room to
room. She asked me to open the door to go outside, slept in a chair
near my desk, and slept near my feet in the night and woke me up at 4AM
for a snack, impatiently circling my legs as I prepared it. She'd hide
under the table and play the game of ambushing my legs as I walked by.

All this time, I knew that one day I'll have to take her to the vet for
her shots. With no experience, I postponed it as long as possible, the
excuse being that I am researching pet carriers and haven't found the
right one.

Finally the day came. That morning she didn't even wake me up at 4AM,
but continued to snuggle against me. When I put her in the carrier, she
thought it was a game. But when the game didn't end, she cried all the
way to the wet. In the exam room, she circled my legs, expecting me to
protect her, but I talked and cooperated with others. Her health
checked out fine but she got several shots, and the vet told me to keep
her indoors for 24 hours.

So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.

I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
grovel in front of her to make her feel better? (And, we are
supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)
Old August 1st 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
CatNipped[_2_]

"AKT" wrote in message
[...]

I know how you feel - Sammy does that to me after vet visits. All I can say
is that she'll come around soon - cats mostly live in the "now". Just give
her some good treats and know that what you do you're doing for her
continued health and happiness.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 08, 02:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
studio

On Aug 1, 7:14 am, AKT wrote:
How do I
grovel in front of her to make her feel better? (And, we are
supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

I remember taking Big Mama for her vet visit.
She cried the whole time, but I put my finger inside the carrier
to let her gnaw on it gently, as we waited for about an hour.
When I brought her back home, she was wore out!
She just laid down and panted for about an hour outside on the deck
while I petted her.
By the next day she was back to her regular routine.

Old August 1st 08, 03:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Me[_5_]

Sometimes the shots will have an effect on a cat. After visits with my crew,
they all take the afternoon off to sleep it off. Although Feisty, at his
last yearly visit, seemed to recupe longer. It was almost a week before he
was his "feisty" self again.

Old August 1st 08, 03:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
barb

I know it's heart-breaking but the cats do come around after a while and
next time she will probably know she'll go back home after the vet. I came
back after a week in California and my first Siamese cat wouldn't speak to
me for a day or so. Cats have feelings.

Barb

Old August 1st 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
cybercat

"AKT" wrote
So, it is about 18 hours later now and she has boycotted me completely.
She looks fine, but has been sitting on a chair hidden under the dining
table. She hasn't wanted to eat or interact with me. Whenever I looked,
she seems awake but gives me no-reaction treatment.

I know this is not the greatest crisis compared to what some of you
have gone through, but I still feel miserable. Even if I know that her
health needed it, there is no way to communicate that to her. How do I
grovel in front of her to make her feel better? (And, we are
supposed to go back for booster shots in a few weeks.)

She is pouting and playing you like a fiddle. You feel just like she
wants you to feel for taking her to the vet. Yes, grovel. Love's a bitch,
ain't it?

Old August 1st 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
William E. Graham

"AKT" wrote in message
[...]

18 hours is way too soon.....Wait another day or two, and she'll be her old
former self. Cats have very short memories, especially when they are
unharmed.....We have 5, and 4 of them hate the vet. (one is so mellow, he'll
follow anyone....When the vet shows up in her mobile unit, he says, "Take
me! Take me!"

Old August 1st 08, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
Rene S.

routine, so once she sees things are back to normal, she'll be fine.
One tip for her next appointment: get some Feliway and spray it in her
carrier about 15 minutes before you leave. It will help calm her. I do
this for one of my cats and it does make a difference.
Old August 2nd 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
James

On Aug 1, 4:38*pm, "Rene S." wrote:
routine, so once she sees things are back to normal, she'll be fine.
One tip for her next appointment: get some Feliway and spray it in her
carrier about 15 minutes before you leave. It will help calm her. I do
this for one of my cats and it does make a difference.

My used to sleep in the pet carrier so it was no big deal for her to
be transported to the vet.
Old August 2nd 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav,alt.cats,alt.pets.cats
AKT

In article
,

:
: My used to sleep in the pet carrier so it was no big deal for her to
: be transported to the vet.

Well, after buying the carrier, I did leave it out for about two weeks,
so she was familiar with it and initially thought it was a fun game to
be carried around in it.

Thu TED Visit Cheryl Perkins Cat community 5 January 29th 06 10:22 PM
TED Visit!!! Stormmee Cat community 7 November 13th 05 04:14 AM
D*g visit is over Victor Martinez Cat anecdotes 4 July 19th 05 11:52 AM
Visit to TED Smokie Darling (Annie) Cat anecdotes 1 June 19th 05 03:08 AM
TED visit Adrian Cat anecdotes 18 May 9th 04 10:15 PM