Cat meowing all the time

Old April 24th 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707

Default Cat meowing all the time

I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

Old April 24th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707

mrscomp4707 wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions? He is neutered and goes outside daily. Im a stay at home mom and play with him and spend time with them as much as I can. Please help

Old April 24th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Apr 23, 7:56 pm, "mrscomp4707" u43134@uwe wrote:
mrscomp4707 wrote:

If you are sure there is nothing medically wrong with the cat, then I
would guess boredom may play a role. Do you play with the cat?
Interactive toys, such as a laser kitty light works well, as do the
toys on a string that you can tempt them with.

I am guessing the kitty just wants more loving ;-)
Old April 24th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com

mc wrote:
If you are sure there is nothing medically wrong with the cat, then I
would guess boredom may play a role. Do you play with the cat?
Interactive toys, such as a laser kitty light works well, as do the
toys on a string that you can tempt them with.

I am guessing the kitty just wants more loving ;-)

We play with with a least twice daily. He plays with the other cat. He is
neutered. The Vet says there is nothing wrong with him. He is perfectly
healthy. we give him tons of love. The other cat is more independent and so
this cat gets the most of our attention.

Old April 24th 08, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"mrscomp4707" wrote

I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him
in
a different room. Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should
ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

Lets assume you have a healthy cat here and no medical problems.

I'll start with this excerpt: 'It is important to know that some cat breeds
are just naturally more vocal than others. These breeds include the
Balinese, Burmese, Cornish rex, Japanese Bobtail, Korat, Siamese, and
Tonkinese.'

Is your cat perhaps partly at least one of these?

Now for dealing with it: 'Excessive meowing can be most annoying when we
are trying to sleep. Some cats have the habit of meowing and/or scratching
in front of the bedroom door until we let them in. The first rule of thumb
is do not respond directly to the cat's meowing. The cat is doing this to
get your attention. Getting up to see what the cat wants, shushing or
yelling at the cat is the worst thing to do because you are reinforcing the
undesirable behaviour by giving the cat attention. Your attention is its
reward. The easiest solution is to get a pair of earplugs. If you do not
respond to the cat's meowing it will probably stop within a few days.
If that does not work, you can try some of the following tips:
· Keep your cat extra busy during your waking hours and especially in the
evening with toys, extra play etc. This will help it sleep when you sleep.

(personal comment, this next one is not going to work for you as it's not a
night meower issue)· Squirting - Have a spray bottle ready and when your cat
wakes you with its meowing wait behind your closed door. At the very next
meow, spray the cat's paws from under the door. The cat will learn to
associate this behaviour with a squirting.

Old April 24th 08, 04:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com

cshenk wrote:
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying him

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
[...]

I have tried spraying him with water, it doesnt work. He is a manx. He is
more vocal than the other cat we have but this is excessive, we tried the
earplugs last night and it helped us sleep but even right now he is meowing
and meowing. We can ignore it for the most part, I am worried because we live
in an apartment complex and i know that they can hear him. We have been just
ignoring him. Any other advice?

Old April 24th 08, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com" wrote
cshenk wrote:

I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day
and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying
him

I'll start with this excerpt: 'It is important to know that some cat
breeds
are just naturally more vocal than others. These breeds include the
Balinese, Burmese, Cornish rex, Japanese Bobtail, Korat, Siamese, and
Tonkinese.'

Is your cat perhaps partly at least one of these?

I see below Manx is the breed.

I found this as a specific on a manx who acted like this: "You need to take
her to a vet. Most Manxies won't meow at all. Or least ours didn't. She
could be hurt inside or have worms if she's been outside. And if she's gone
from outside to inside only she may want out. Badly. They can be obnoxious
when they want something. That was another of Bob's traits. She was rotten
and always attention starved". I do not know if this person was right, but
saw several others who had had similar reactions by their cats who it turned
out had worms.

Apologies but I didnt read all your messages so do not know if you have
already had this ruled out by a vet.

Here's a few other things I saw related, but they were not 'manx specific'.
They may help?

Feed on a regular basis.
a..
Try and feeding your cat at set times/regular intervals so they can
anticipate when they're next going to eat. You can also try leaving down the
dry cat food/biscuits so that your cat can nibble whenever they get hungry.
However, if you cat has a tendency to over-eat, this may not be wise.

b.. Install a cat flap.

Most cats can never make up their minds if they want to be in or outside.
My cat is in heaven during the summer when I can leave the back door open
and he can wander in and out at much as he pleases. If your cat is always in
and out, a cat flap is a great option. They are fairly cheap and easy to
install and you buy ones which have magnets on them so only YOUR cat can get
in.

c.. Play.

Some cats meow a lot because they want some attention and affection.
Stroke and play with your cat often to keep them from feeling lonely or
neglected.

d.. Discipline.

Don't let your cat drive you round the bend with excessive meowing - take
charge. You can either ignore them which will eventually make them stop if
you don't give in (very hard to do!) or you can try the old favourites of a
squirt with a water spray or a firm 'NO' and a clap of the hands. Eventually
your kitty will realize that constant meowing will get them nowhere. Please
ensure you remember to praise your cat and give extra attention to them when
they're not meowing.

(I'm not totally in agreement with the water squirt as you cn cause your cat
to develop other problems with this sort of negative behavior. If you do
decide to try the spray route, have been told the nest way to go about it is
to spray just the toes and in such a way that they can't see 'you' do it,
such as from under a door with you on the other side).

One memory spark, one of the cats I had long ago, would meow quite loudly
all night if I didnt let her sleep with me. Now, I didnt mind a cat
sleeping with me so was able to fix it that way. Do be sure to rule out
worms first!

Oh on wormers, you may already know this but another may not. It's best
(really) to have the vet check for which type of worms first. Reason is
they dont all react to the same 'over the counter' meds and you could be
just making the cat sick with OTC stuff if it's heartworms or some of the
others.

Best I can do here as I know little more.

Old April 24th 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com

cshenk wrote:
cshenk wrote:

I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day
and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly and we have tried spraying
him

I'll start with this excerpt: 'It is important to know that some cat
breeds

[quoted text clipped - 3 lines]

[...]

Thanks so much for the response. We do play with him constintely, I really
think he just wants outside all the time. We cant let him go outside without
a lease and harness we live in an apartment. He sleeps with us in between his
spurts of yelling. We leave the door open so he can roam and play. We do feed
him at certain times, people thinks its funny that he has meals but it works
for them. He has been a talker since we got him but has gotten worse. The Vet
says there is nothing wrong with him. We feed our cats organic food and
treats so we know its not a tummy ache. I think he just wants to run wild.
Thanks again for a response.

Old April 25th 08, 10:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
jmc

Suddenly, without warning, mrscomp4707 via CatKB.com exclaimed
(4/25/2008 7:00 AM):

Thanks so much for the response. We do play with him constintely, I really
think he just wants outside all the time. We cant let him go outside without
a lease and harness we live in an apartment. He sleeps with us in between his
spurts of yelling. We leave the door open so he can roam and play. We do feed
him at certain times, people thinks its funny that he has meals but it works
for them. He has been a talker since we got him but has gotten worse. The Vet
says there is nothing wrong with him. We feed our cats organic food and
treats so we know its not a tummy ache. I think he just wants to run wild.
Thanks again for a response.

Just because his food is organic, doesn't mean it can't give him a tummy
ache.

In this vein, it is possible, I suppose, that he might be allergic to
something in his food. Have you tried completely (but gradually)
changing his food? For instance, if you feed only chicken cat food,
find cat food with no chicken. Or try changing brands. Cat are often
allergic to grains, so you could try foods with no grains.

Does he stop meowing when you play with him?

Either he's sick (vet could have missed something - perhaps try a second
opinion?), as other posters have mentioned, or something you're doing is
reinforcing this behavior. You have to figure out what.

If it's attention-getting you might try this: Leave the room when he
meows. Close the door to the room he's in, or go to another room and
close the door. As soon as he's quiet for like 10 seconds, open the
door and praise him. Rinse and repeat.

Other things to try: Never initiate play or attention, or even talk to
him, when he's meowing, only when he's quiet (even if he's quiet for
only a few seconds). Make more of a point of ignoring his meowing, by
turning your back on him and refusing to look at him, until he's quiet.
With this method, you might find that he's quiet, but when you look at
him or reach for a toy, he meows. Immediately stop and go back to
"ignore" mode. After a while, he'll realize that when he's quiet, he
gets attention, and when he's meowing, he gets pointedly ignored.
Talking too. When he's quiet, praise him. He'll figure it out.

And if all the suggestions you get here fail to work, seek out and hire
a reputable feline behaviorist.

jmc
Old April 24th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
deja.blues[_4_]

"mrscomp4707" u43134@uwe wrote in message news:8321773d6d6f7@uwe...
I have a cat that is 2 years old and meows all the time. Almost all day and
pretty much all night. We walk him reguarly

Would you want someone telling you to shut up if you had something to say?
Errr ok. You walk him regularly? How?

and we have tried spraying him
with water and yelling at him, taking him off the window sill, putting him
in
a different room.

If you did that to me I'd do more than just meow, I'd slash your throat as
you slept.

Nothing is working. I read somewhere that we should ignore
it and reward him when he is being quiet. Is there anything else? Is there
some way to keep him entertained? We have another cat and he is just fine.
Any suggestions?

He needs something that you can't or won't give him. If you care about him,
make the effort to find out whats bothering him instead of punishing him for
communicating in the only voice he has.

MEOWING! Kelly Cat health & behaviour 10 February 22nd 05 07:05 PM
meowing too much? Justin L Cat health & behaviour 7 February 9th 05 09:38 AM
Cat Meowing jack Cat health & behaviour 6 September 2nd 03 11:06 AM
Cat Meowing jack Cats - misc 4 August 27th 03 07:33 PM
Cat Meowing Debbie Bouthiette Cat health & behaviour 12 July 31st 03 12:09 AM