Pics: Ice Sculptures at the zoo

Old January 25th 04, 06:12 PM
Marina

Default Pics: Ice Sculptures at the zoo

Last weekend and this weekend, an international competition in ice sculpting
was held at the Helsinki Zoo. I went to see some of it. Last week's
sculptures were exhibited, and this week's competitors were working on their
scupltures in front of the audience. I took my camera, of course, and here
are some of the pics.

In addition to some ice sculptures and the artists, I managed to snap some
pics of animals, mainly big cats. Both lions and tigers seemed to enjoy the
snow. There is also a sequence of the lynx trying to eat a bit of meat that
I think was partly frozen, judging from the faces the poor lynx made while
gnawing on it. The animals all have access to warm comfy houses all the
time, so they were out in the snow by choice.

http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/...bum?.dir=/c13c

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 25th 04, 06:26 PM
Debbie Wilson

Marina wrote:

Last weekend and this weekend, an international competition in ice sculpting
was held at the Helsinki Zoo. I went to see some of it. Last week's
sculptures were exhibited, and this week's competitors were working on their
scupltures in front of the audience. I took my camera, of course, and here
are some of the pics.

(snip)

Fantastic pics Marina - thanks for sharing them! I particularly loved
the Mammoth mother and baby sculpture. Kind of a homage to the Ice Age,
I felt.

Also amused to see the very apt name of one competitor, 'Kimmo Frosti' -
well, it's apt in English, anyway ;-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old January 25th 04, 06:41 PM
Marina

"Debbie Wilson" wrote

Fantastic pics Marina - thanks for sharing them! I particularly loved
the Mammoth mother and baby sculpture. Kind of a homage to the Ice Age,
I felt.

Oh, yes, that wasn't in the competition, that was made by all the
competitors together. I liked it a lot (it reminded me of the portrait of my
Dad that hangs in the Science faculty of the university - the artist, Hubert
Pepper, painted a train of mammoths in the background. My Dad was a
palaeontologist). I only wish there had been some sunshine, because that
would have shown up the sculptures better. I took 65 pics and only posted
22, so a lot did not come out good enough. I'd also have liked to see the
mammoths in the dark, because they were lit up from behind with blue
lanterns. They probably look quite eery and alive in the dark.

Also amused to see the very apt name of one competitor, 'Kimmo Frosti' -
well, it's apt in English, anyway ;-)

LOL! In Swedish too, but not in Finnish. It's probably a loan from Swedish.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 25th 04, 06:55 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Fine pictures, Auntie Marina. The cats are wonderful, but not as wonderful as
Frank, of course.

Purrs, Waffles

to get correct one remove dependency on fame & fortune
h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o* *l.c**$*$om$$

Old January 25th 04, 07:15 PM
Marina

"Karen Chuplis" wrote

It's a good thing you gave directions on the snowy owls!! I wouldn't have
seen them otherwise.

Well, we had a hard time spotting them ourselves. ;o) We stood looking at
the one on the ground for ages, then suddenly something moved above it, and
we realised what had looked like a clump of snow was another owl!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old January 25th 04, 07:26 PM
Marina

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers"
Fine pictures, Auntie Marina. The cats are wonderful, but not as wonderful

as
Frank, of course.

Purrs, Waffles

Of course, Waffles, but you should have heard that lady lion roar! Very
impressive!

--
Auntie Marina

Old January 25th 04, 10:05 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Of course, Waffles, but you should have heard that lady lion roar! Very
impressive!

I can imagine, but not as impurresive as the way Frank can make me roar ;-)

Old January 25th 04, 11:29 PM
John F. Eldredge

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from

Silly pics Marina Cat anecdotes 14 January 4th 04 07:50 PM
Mikey pics Julie Cook Cat anecdotes 4 January 4th 04 07:52 AM
New Moogie Pics Stacey Cat anecdotes 9 December 24th 03 10:26 PM
Pics: Nikki and her whiskers Marina Cat anecdotes 14 November 9th 03 02:10 PM
Chinese kitten pics OU812? Cat anecdotes 1 September 22nd 03 03:19 PM