Worried about my cat

Old May 12th 05, 02:42 AM

Default Worried about my cat

Everything seemed fine, until a little after dinner Missy cat ran
under the bed and won't come out. She growls at my other cat, Mr
Spock (normal), but she is also growling at me, which she's never done
before. It's a low long growl like I've never heard from her before.

She's been there for hours, hasn't moved, and doesn't look like she's
coming out any time soon. This is not a normal hiding or sleeping
spot for her. She seemed fine at lunch time, begged for her pets as
usual. She ate her dinner, or at least she started. Now she won't
even accept any treats which is most unlike her.

I'm worried that something's wrong. I want to take her to the vet in
the morning, but I don't know how I'm going to get her out from under
the bed if she doesn't come out on her own. If she's all excited,
sick or injured, I don't want to just try to grab her. She'd either
run out the other side or claw me.

Any suggestions? I live alone and don't think I'd get many volunteers
to get the crazy angry kitty out from under the bed.

Swyck
Old May 12th 05, 03:00 AM
John Ross Mc Master

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:42:27 -0400, wrote:

[...]

She may have been traumatized by something, or contracted an illness.
See the vet! I have heard this low growl a couple of times and it
isn't pretty.
Now, luring her out..Get down to her level and tempt her with catnip.
If that doesnt work (you have to get her out) use a broomhandle and
force her out. She'll thank you if the vet fixes her problem.
Old May 12th 05, 03:26 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 11 May 2005 10:00:41p, John Ross Mc Master wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

[...]

I agree. A method I've used to get my former feral out from under
the bed is to turn on the vaccum cleaner in the bedroom. Works
every time. You just have to be prepared to offer another hiding
space (like the bathroom) and shut all of the other doors before
you do.

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old May 12th 05, 03:40 AM
Charlie Wilkes

[...]

My vote would be to leave her alone for now. She might have heard
something that was inaudible to you that really unnerved her. Now she
needs a bit of time to chill out, and she's found the spot where she
wants to do it.

I wouldn't try to coax or bribe her, but rather ignore her, at least
until it is time to take her to the vet. That low growl is meant as a
warning to be taken seriously.

I'll bet she will not turn out to be physically ill, but it never
hurts to find out.

Charlie
Old May 12th 05, 03:49 AM
Mary

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
[...]

What worries me is that cats are generally so stoic about discomfort, if her
behavior
is due to pain or illness, she must be REALLY ill.

Old May 12th 05, 03:56 AM
Cheryl

On Wed 11 May 2005 10:40:31p, Charlie Wilkes wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
):

My vote would be to leave her alone for now. She might have
heard something that was inaudible to you that really unnerved
her. Now she needs a bit of time to chill out, and she's found
the spot where she wants to do it.

I wouldn't try to coax or bribe her, but rather ignore her, at
least until it is time to take her to the vet. That low growl
is meant as a warning to be taken seriously.

I'll bet she will not turn out to be physically ill, but it
never hurts to find out.

My vote is that since the behavior started after eating that maybe
she's uncomfortable or in pain. Maybe she has an obstruction? I
wouldn't wait if the cat is hiding for hours like this. And the new
growling thing. Not good.

Old May 12th 05, 04:07 AM
John Ross Mc Master

On Wed, 11 May 2005 21:56:13 -0500, Cheryl
wrote:

On Wed 11 May 2005 10:40:31p, Charlie Wilkes wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav
) :

My vote would be to leave her alone for now. She might have
heard something that was inaudible to you that really unnerved
her. Now she needs a bit of time to chill out, and she's found
the spot where she wants to do it.

I wouldn't try to coax or bribe her, but rather ignore her, at
least until it is time to take her to the vet. That low growl
is meant as a warning to be taken seriously.

I'll bet she will not turn out to be physically ill, but it
never hurts to find out.

My vote is that since the behavior started after eating that maybe
she's uncomfortable or in pain. Maybe she has an obstruction? I
wouldn't wait if the cat is hiding for hours like this. And the new
growling thing. Not good.

If the behaviour is psychologically based it will usually rapidly pass
in my opinion. It didn't, so it must be physical. It can't hurt to see
a vet.
Old May 12th 05, 07:12 AM
Charlie Wilkes

wrote:

[...]

I agree the vet is a good idea, but my intuitive thought is not bother
her until it is time to round her up for the appointment, if only
because that might increase the likelihood she will emerge on her own
accord.

I don't claim to have the answer, but I have known healthy cats to do
this kind of thing when something scares them.

Charlie
Old May 12th 05, 07:42 AM
Brian Link

On Wed, 11 May 2005 22:49:20 -0400, "Mary" wrote:

"Charlie Wilkes" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

After a few hours?

Well, nonetheless, I give you credit for googling this and coming up
with a slightly-defensible diagnosis.

Perhaps you're an expert, nonetheless! And you've been hiding your
competence under the guise of "I Know You Are But What Am I" posts for
years.

To the OP - Mary has only demonstrated crackpot behavior in the past,
though her suggestion has some merit that could be as easily uncovered
by a google search of "cat hiding" or "stewardess porn".

Nice try.

BLink