OT - About my OTs, Help Needed

Old August 17th 11, 10:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Default OT - About my OTs, Help Needed

I'm not being over-sensitive here, I'd like some advice.

I know I "OT" a lot - probably twice as much or more as anyone else
here. I'd rather not do that because it *does* cause some frustration
and I'd just rather not do that to anyone. Some of you may be WWW savvy
enough to help me with the questions at the bottom of this post.

The problem I'm having is that I've *tried* to find other forums about
support for the things I'm going through and they're either 1) so seldom
used that the last posts in some are from 2010 - it won't do a bit of
good to subscribe to a group that nobody else uses, and 2) like the ones
for depression, they are so toxic with trolls and just plain insensitive
people that the group ends up *hurting* those who go there for help.

The other problem I have is that what I have is so damned rare that
nobody, except certain scientists, even know it exists.

There *are* active RSD forums, and I've been there, but it's just sort
of the same things said over and over - there really is no help to be
had because there's just nothing anyone can do about it.

I haven't seen a single forum about the MTHFR gene mutation, but there
may be some about the things the mutation cause like "ischemic bowel
disease", "ileostomy", "spontaneous blood clots" (although that's pretty
rare in itself), etc. But I just haven't found them. Does anyone know
how to find groups (Google didn't do it for me).

So... if I start a group or a blog about any of the above, Does anyone
know how I can get people to know about it and participate?

Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", maintained by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Old August 18th 11, 12:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
The Catlady

On Aug 17, 4:52*pm, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", *maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

You may have seen this already, but this website seems to have a lot
of current discussions: http://www.healthboards.com/boards/f...play.php?f=108
Old August 18th 11, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/17/2011 6:29 PM, hopitus wrote:
On Aug 17, 3:52 pm, CatNipped wrote:
I haven't seen a single forum about the MTHFR gene mutation, but there
may be some about the things the mutation cause like "ischemic bowel
disease", "ileostomy", "spontaneous blood clots" (although that's pretty
rare in itself), etc. But I just haven't found them. Does anyone know
how to find groups (Google didn't do it for me).

CatNipped

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professi...ml?qt=ischemic
bowel disease&alt=sh

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professi...alt=sh#v894669

http://www.merckmanuals.com/professi....html?qt=blood
disorders from MTHFr&alt=sh

All these from an online medical encyclopedia for professionals called
Merck Manual which I consult from time
to time about much simpler matters. I seriously doubt whether you will
gain much 411 for yourself from these
links or Mercks because frankly it took everything I know about
medical terms to even *find* these links in the
Manual. You asked, and finally a small contribution I could make to
possible comprehension on your part. I
regret they are not "groups" as I visit a small collection re mostly
corporate hacking and Market quotation/
stocks/commerce in-depth analysis, way not medical discussions. I had
to "fine-tune" the last link down from
"genetic mutations".....difficult because most concern testing *on
newborns or infants* patients, not adults.
Your doc was not b.s.ing you when he stated he was maybe one in one
hundred who would detect MTHFR
deficiency; many, many other disorders fit symptoms analysis and
simple tests, presenting "answers" without
further analysis or testing of patient. And you thought he was a wise-
ass. If you read this, you'll think otherwise.
If you have not already, consulting a local patient advocacy or
nursing forum group may point you to a RL
focus group that meets regularly where you live.

Thanks Hop! I would never have found those links on my own. I'll try
slogging through it, at this point any information at all would help.
Unfortunately I haven't found a doctor who was willing to really discuss
this with me to help me understand what's going on and what I can expect
in the future.

As far as RL support groups, I don't think there are any in Houston, I"d
tried looking for them and found a few links, but they were all
abandoned. At this point I think I'm going to settle on finding a good
psychiatrist to see if he can help with these mood swings and depression.

Again, thanks for all that effort, it's really appreciated.

Old August 18th 11, 03:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

On Aug 17, 5:52*pm, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Lori,

When you post OT here, you aren't searching for specific information
on the disease you have. You come here and post OT for emotional
support. That's what we're here for, but your post said you've tried
to find active support groups. You have to decide if what you want is
a support group for your specific disease or a support group of people
who can truly understand - and face it, most of us can't. Have you
ever read the story at the following link (?) and if not, stop now and
read it before you respond to my post (I think everyone might find the
story interesting):

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ar...e-miserandino/

Now, assuming you've read that, you'll probably think, "Wow, I can so
totally relate...or a year ago or two years ago I could relate but my
disease has progressed past that point." I'm going to tippy toe
around this one, but the point I'm making is that there are many
people that suffer similar day to day emotional issues. Rather than
trying to find an active support group for people who have RSD, look
for an active support group of people who suffer similar pains,
similar frequency have similar emotional challenges. You may be able
to find the support you need that way.

Begin that search by looking he

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/boards/index.php

This said, I'm not saying we don't want you here - or that I don't
want you here - I'm just trying to help you find the support that you
asked for in your original post.

hugs
Julie
Old August 18th 11, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/17/2011 9:52 PM, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:
On Aug 17, 5:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thank you Julie, that was exactly what I was asking and I didn't take
offense (and you *never* have to tippy toe around me, I've known you
long enough to know your innate kindness and generosity). That's the
first time I've ever read the spoon story and, you're right, I can
relate. And it may help me explain things to the people around me who
get tired of dealing with my illness (but can then go back to their
"normal" lives and are able to forget about it for most of the time, but
they can *never* know what it's like to deal with it *all* of the time).

Old August 18th 11, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ar...hristine/the-s...

[...]

I was directed to that site from someone who has lupus, but as I was
exploring the forum to see if it was something that you might find
comfort with I found posts from people with all types of illnesses
that result in acute and chronic pain, severe symptoms similar to
yours, depression - all of the symptoms that you might expect and many
that you've experienced. Check out the forum section, maybe start in
the introductions and see if they might give you some emotional
support. Their issues are not confined to lupus.

hugs
Julie
Old August 18th 11, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

CatNipped wrote:

[...]

I agree with Julie - you come here for emotional support because you
know people here, and you trust them. Most people here probably can't
give you advice about your particular diagnosis, but you seem to get
a lot of support and caring from people.

My feeling is, people here are grownups and they can choose to read
or not read your posts. I'm sure it was hurtful when blanking on name
told you he was killfiling you, but you know, it's kind of a blessing
in disguise. If everyone who didn't want to read about your health issues
just put your posts in their killfile, then the only people reading your
posts would be friends who want to know how you are.

That said, here's a suggestion. You could come up with a subject line
tag indicating that the post is about your health, weight, pain management,
depression, etc. Maybe one word such as "ILLNESS" or "PAIN" or "MTHFR"
(I still can't get over that acronym ). Then people who didn't want to
read about that stuff could filter out posts having that tag. That way,
they wouldn't have to killfile all posts from you. As the guy whose name
I can't remember said, he was sorry to have to do it because he likes
your cat posts.

Joyce

--
The average, healthy, well-adjusted adult gets up at seven-thirty in
the morning feeling just terrible. -- Jean Kerr
Old August 18th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On Aug 17, 5:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

I don't know why I associated this with this post, and it probably won't
be funny to most anyone else, but it made me laugh out loud. Maybe
someone else here with a disability (and I *do* know there are others
here as ill or more as I) might get a small chuckle too.

Now that I'm on SSDI and not working and pretty much "bedridden" (gawds
I hate that word), I tend to lose track of the days - even to the point
of not being able to distinguish the weekend from weekdays. Just now I
was thinking I have to call my doctor tomorrow but didn't know if he'd
be in his office because I didn't know what day of the week it was. I
instantly/automatically looked down at my pill case to see what day was
written on it! That's my new "calendar"!! ;

Old August 18th 11, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/17/2011 10:54 PM, wrote:
CatNipped wrote:

[...]

Thanks Joyce! I will do that, all I really need to put is "Health
Issue" in the subject line if I absolutely *have* to get something 'off
my chest'. But I really am going to find another group for that just so
that I won't feel intimidated by possibly offending someone if I do.

*BUT*....

I've been thinking a lot about other "OT" posts, and you know what - *I*
like reading other people's posts about whatever it is they may be
writing about, even when it's not about their cats. We *are* friends
here and have been for years and years. I'm interested in what's going
on in their lives, both good and bad. I can usually tell by the subject
line whether it's a topic I'm particularly interested in or not. As I
told Jill, I have *NO* problem with recipe threads, have even printed
out some for Ben to use, but I'm not really thrilled to read them since
I really don't cook (before I had Ben I supported every fast food
restaurant within a ten mile radius of my house), so often times I'll
just mark them as read and go on... but I don't even mark the thread as
read because we have such interesting thread drift here at times.

I don't *want* to confine my posts to just cats and I *really* don't
want anyone else to either. There are weeks that go by that my cats
just don't do anything interesting enough to write about and I'm sure
that goes for others here too. Looking at the group, there may not be
anyone who posts as many OT posts as me but I'm certainly not the only
one who does either, and I'm *glad* of that.

I *like* reading about someone having a new grandchild, I *like* reading
about someone going to classes, redoing their house or garden, going on
a special date, finding a new favorite song or singer and every other
topic under the sun.

So if anyone else is that nit-picky that they don't want to read
anything except posts about cats, they can damn well killfile me and
announce to the whole world if they choose. So there!!!! ;

Old August 18th 11, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Also...

I really, really, really hope all this bru-ha-ha over my medical issues
doesn't discourage anyone else from writing here about their own
problems, because I really would like the chance to give back the
support you've all given to me!