OT - About my OTs, Help Needed

Old August 18th 11, 06:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
cshenk

Default OT - About my OTs, Help Needed

CatNipped wrote in rec.pets.cats.anecdotes:
cshenk wrote:

I know how you feel in many ways. If you'll recall, we met in a
support group. That one, wasn't right for me so I stopped pulling
it but it worked well for others.

Yes, I do remember. You're the one thing (maybe the only thing) that
came of that experience for me that was very positive and good. I'm
not welcome there any more so unsubscribed a long time ago. It's a
shame, because it was the only newsgroup I found for chronic pain
support - it's a shame the group itself was a pain in the a$$! ;

I outgrew that group fairly fast. I read it sporadically for another 6
months just to talk to Top, but never readded it when I swapped from
cox to giganews about a year ago?

I don't think that group had any positive aspects for you.

I know I tend to whine more than most. But I also just talk and
write more than most also, but like everything in life the bad is
always noticed while the good is often just ignored or taken for
granted. Not whining about that, just noting a fact of life.

Personalities differ ;-) To use the spoon analogy, I look with glee as
I plot what fun I will have with the ones left.

Old August 18th 11, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

On Aug 18, 3:17*am, CatNipped wrote:
On 8/17/2011 10:42 PM, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:

On Aug 17, 11:15 pm, *wrote:
On 8/17/2011 9:52 PM, Julie_Snowshoe wrote:

On Aug 17, 5:52 pm, * *wrote:
I'm not being over-sensitive here, I'd like some advice.

I know I "OT" a lot - probably twice as much or more as anyone else
here. *I'd rather not do that because it *does* cause some frustration
and I'd just rather not do that to anyone. *Some of you may be WWW savvy
enough to help me with the questions at the bottom of this post.

The problem I'm having is that I've *tried* to find other forums about
support for the things I'm going through and they're either 1) so seldom
used that the last posts in some are from 2010 - it won't do a bit of
good to subscribe to a group that nobody else uses, and 2) like the ones
for depression, they are so toxic with trolls and just plain insensitive
people that the group ends up *hurting* those who go there for help.

The other problem I have is that what I have is so damned rare that
nobody, except certain scientists, even know it exists.

There *are* active RSD forums, and I've been there, but it's just sort
of the same things said over and over - there really is no help to be
had because there's just nothing anyone can do about it.

I haven't seen a single forum about the MTHFR gene mutation, but there
may be some about the things the mutation cause like "ischemic bowel
disease", "ileostomy", "spontaneous blood clots" (although that's pretty
rare in itself), etc. *But I just haven't found them. *Does anyone know
how to find groups (Google didn't do it for me).

So... if I start a group or a blog about any of the above, Does anyone
know how I can get people to know about it and participate?

Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", *maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

Lori,

When you post OT here, you aren't searching for specific information
on the disease you have. You come here and post OT for emotional
support. *That's what we're here for, but your post said you've tried
to find active support groups. *You have to decide if what you want is
a support group for your specific disease or a support group of people
who can truly understand - and face it, most of us can't. *Have you
ever read the story at the following link (?) and if not, stop now and
read it before you respond to my post (I think everyone might find the
story interesting):

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ar...hristine/the-s....

Now, assuming you've read that, you'll probably think, "Wow, I can so
totally relate...or a year ago or two years ago I could relate but my
disease has progressed past that point." *I'm going to tippy toe
around this one, but the point I'm making is that there are many
people that suffer similar day to day emotional issues. *Rather than
trying to find an active support group for people who have RSD, look
for an active support group of people who suffer similar pains,
similar frequency have similar emotional challenges. *You may be able
to find the support you need that way.

Begin that search by looking he

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/boards/index.php

This said, I'm not saying we don't want you here - or that I don't
want you here - I'm just trying to help you find the support that you
asked for in your original post.

hugs
Julie

Thank you Julie, that was exactly what I was asking and I didn't take
offense (and you *never* have to tippy toe around me, I've known you
long enough to know your innate kindness and generosity). *That's the
first time I've ever read the spoon story and, you're right, I can
relate. *And it may help me explain things to the people around me who
get tired of dealing with my illness (but can then go back to their
"normal" lives and are able to forget about it for most of the time, but
they can *never* know what it's like to deal with it *all* of the time).

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", *maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net

I was directed to that site from someone who has lupus, but as I was
exploring the forum to see if it was something that you might find
comfort with I found posts from people with all types of illnesses
that result in acute and chronic pain, severe symptoms similar to
yours, depression - all of the symptoms that you might expect and many
that you've experienced. *Check out the forum section, maybe start in
the introductions and see if they might give you some emotional
support. *Their issues are not confined to lupus.

hugs
Julie

I just registered and posted my first post on the "New Members - Say
Hello" forum. *Again, thanks for this reference! *From the little I've
read it sounds like a lovely supportive group.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped
See all our masters at: *http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, created by "Yowie", *maintained by Mark Edwards, at:http://www.professional-geek.net/rpcablog/

Email: *L(dot)T(dot)Crews(at)comcast(dot)net- Hide quoted text -

Lori,

I'm not stalking you but I went by to make sure you got positive
feedback from your post (I would have felt real bad if you'd been
attacked). I read two posts by you and the replies. It looks like
you've been embrassed by these folks. Hopefully this will be a good
place for you when things seem totally bleak.

hugs and best wishes
Julie
Old August 18th 11, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On Aug 17, 5:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

Thank you. I can't tell you how grateful I am for this advice. It
really does sound like a great place. I like that it's moderated so
that the "sickies" in this world can't get in there and make people feel
worse and unable to post for fear of being made fun or or attacked.

Old August 18th 11, 07:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On Aug 17, 5:52 pm, wrote:
[...]

I'm just really, *REALLY* surprised at how many replies I've gotten and
how quickly. Most support sites are just about abandoned - some I've
visited had the most recent post in 2008! Again, this is the best
present I've gotten in a long, long time. Thank you Julie, thank you
very much!

Old August 18th 11, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie_Snowshoe[_2_]

Lori,

I'm not stalking you but I went by to make sure you got positive
feedback from your post (I would have felt real bad if you'd been
attacked). *I read two posts by you and the replies. *It looks like
you've been embrassed by these folks. *Hopefully this will be a good
place for you when things seem totally bleak.

hugs and best wishes
Julie

I'm just really, *REALLY* surprised at how many replies I've gotten and
how quickly. *Most support sites are just about abandoned - some I've
visited had the most recent post in 2008! *Again, this is the best
present I've gotten in a long, long time. *Thank you Julie, thank you
very much!

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

OK, I'm tired (its been a long, long week) and I've been popping jelly
beans all day instead of eating lunch....but your post brought tears
to my eyes. I'm so happy that you're getting some emotional support
from these people.

hugs Julie
Old August 19th 11, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Wed, 17 Aug 2011 16:52:40 -0500, CatNipped
wrote:

[...]

Here's another place to check out Catnipped -
http://www.inspire.com/groups/

They have groups for practically everything health-related under the
sun, and I'm sure you can find someone there who understands what
you're dealing with. They also give you the ability to have your own
blog or journal...
Old August 19th 11, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
john sumner[_16_]

CatNipped wrote in news:9b4r6bFmiU2
@mid.individual.net:

Thank you John. I don't always respond to all posts, but I read them
all and I've enjoyed all of yours so far. You sound like a very kind
and sensitive person and you are very welcomed here.

thanks kiddo you made my day

Old August 19th 11, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/ar...e-miserandino/

Now, assuming you've read that, you'll probably think, "Wow, I can so
totally relate...or a year ago or two years ago I could relate but my
disease has progressed past that point." I'm going to tippy toe
around this one, but the point I'm making is that there are many
people that suffer similar day to day emotional issues. Rather than
trying to find an active support group for people who have RSD, look
for an active support group of people who suffer similar pains,
similar frequency have similar emotional challenges. You may be able
to find the support you need that way.

That was an amazing analogy. I can so relate to it. I never really
thought about how doing one thing takes away the real ability to do
something else when you have no strength, but it's so true. Thanks for
posting this.
Old August 20th 11, 05:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

On 18/08/2011 7:52 AM, CatNipped wrote:
[...]

How to start a blog
* - go to on of the many bog sites, sign up, and start blogging.

How to get people to read your blog:
* - Tag it correctly (ie, use good key words, get a blog service that
lets you tag it with keywords)
* - find other bloggers (use your google-fu) and 'follow' them - put
your blog down as your link. Odds are you'll get a reciprocal follow
* - Blog regularly. People stop following blogs when there aren't
regular updates.
* - Offer hope as well as use it as a venting space
* - Post the address of your blog site as your 'web page' on other forums
* - Join Twitter

How to start a forum:
* - Start a Facebook page
* - Start a Yahoo group
* - Use your Google-fu and search for forum software. YOu have enough
web nous to host it yourself
* - Make it findable via Google
* - Put links in to your forum in other conversation (like in your sig
or your bio)

How to start a Meatspace support group:
* - Find a place where you can meet regularly and can sit and talk
(cafe's are a good start, ditto with community centres,wherever AA
people meet )
* - Make flyers and distribute to various likely services - doctor's
surgeries, local hospital, community centres, pnboards at local shopping
centres etc. If you have free community newspaper, put an ad in there
under community services.
* - The web forum Julie suggested (well done, Julie) may have a place to
advertise 'meet ups'
* - Be patient, these things usually work be word of mouth.

HTH,

Yowie
Old August 20th 11, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

On 8/19/2011 11:23 PM, Yowie wrote:
How to start a blog
* - go to on of the many bog sites, sign up, and start blogging.

How to get people to read your blog:
* - Tag it correctly (ie, use good key words, get a blog service that
lets you tag it with keywords)
* - find other bloggers (use your google-fu) and 'follow' them - put
your blog down as your link. Odds are you'll get a reciprocal follow
* - Blog regularly. People stop following blogs when there aren't
regular updates.
* - Offer hope as well as use it as a venting space

I try to do that anyway, just for my own sake and the sake of what
little sanity I have left. Here's something I posted today on the "But
You Don't Look Sick" support group Julie just pointed me to (thank you
Julie). I know you're a fellow Dr. Who fan, Yowie, so I think you'll
probably remember this (I'm sick with envy that y'all get the series so
much sooner than we do - and it's not something you can find online):

----------------------------

This isn't an original "spoon story", but it is one of my favorite spoon
like quotes. It's, from all places, on of my favorite TV shows, "Dr.
Who". From season 5 episode 10, the "Vincent van Gogh" one, The Doctor
tells Amy...

"Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things
don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't
necessarily spoil the good things, or make them unimportant."

-----------------------------

* - Post the address of your blog site as your 'web page' on other forums
* - Join Twitter

Twitter??? Really???!!!! I've managed to avoid that until now. The
only "social" places online (or phone) that I go to are here, FaceBook
(only occasionally so I can keep up with my children and grandchildren -
even those 800 miles away - on a daily basis, but I seldom post there)
and, now the afore-mentioned support group.. I guess I can bite the
bullet, though, if it will help.

How to start a forum:
* - Start a Facebook page
* - Start a Yahoo group
* - Use your Google-fu and search for forum software. YOu have enough
web nous to host it yourself
* - Make it findable via Google
* - Put links in to your forum in other conversation (like in your sig
or your bio)

How to start a Meatspace support group:
* - Find a place where you can meet regularly and can sit and talk
(cafe's are a good start, ditto with community centres,wherever AA
people meet )

GCM used to hold "BANG" parties at "Barnes And Noble Group", yeah, lame
acronym, we have high IQs but we're not *smart* - there's a big
difference. In fact, since my gaping hole in memory appeared I
discontinued my membership just because I felt like a hypocrite.
Anyway, they had a nice little cafe in the store we went to and it was
very quiet because most people were reading books. We played Scrabble
and displayed our geek-dom to the world.

* - Make flyers and distribute to various likely services - doctor's
surgeries, local hospital, community centres, pnboards at local shopping
centres etc. If you have free community newspaper, put an ad in there
under community services.
* - The web forum Julie suggested (well done, Julie) may have a place to
advertise 'meet ups'

I've already heard of one lady there who lives close to me. Good idea!

* - Be patient, these things usually work be word of mouth.

HTH,

Yowie

Thank you, Yowie. I just copied and pasted that into a Word document -
can't trust my memory (there's a good side to that, I can watch re-runs
and it seems like the first run for me... Ben swears I watched the Dr.
Who episodes I'm now watching on Xfinity with him, but I don't remember
a single word from the scripts).

I'm not going to do it tonight, it's after midnight here, but I will use
this soon.