A question: Why do cats writhe?

Old April 3rd 04, 07:50 AM
Marina

"Napoleon" wrote
I wonder if it is a trait that has become engrained through evolution.
I have seen film of lions in Africa doing the exact same thing and I
wouldn't be surprised if it helps control fleas or other insects in
their fur.

Once I came upon two cats walking "with" each other on a sidewalk at
an apartment where I lived. I have no idea if they were related or
just knew each other, but it was cute just to see them walking around
together outside. There was a small patch of dirt on the sidewalk and
one of them dropped down on his/her side and started that "flipping"
thing they do-laying curled on one side in the dirt, flip over to the
other side, over and over. A couple of times he looked up at me
between flips, seeing me "upside down". The other cat just stopped
and sat upright looking on, occasionally glancing around, occasionally
looking at me, just waiting for the other one to finish. After a
couple of minutes, the one rolling in the dust decided he was
finished, got up and the two of them resumed their "walk" together.

Oh, Frank and Nikki do this on the island! They will often go out for a walk
together, and when they get out on the cliffs, one will drop down and writhe
around for a while while the other sits by, waiting. Then they resume the
walk. It's funny and quite touching to watch. Of course, sometimes the other
one decides to join in and then we have a play-fight session going.

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old April 3rd 04, 07:57 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Flippy wrote:

Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

She itches?
Old April 3rd 04, 10:57 AM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Then maybe you shouldn't show her these pictures, she may get too excited.
(Frank is preparing the teleporter as we speak.)

http://tinyurl.com/3b33d

http://tinyurl.com/2psax

Waffles has disappeared... I heard a vague Star Trek type noise, some strange
light effects and she disappeared...

Frank had better be prepared.

By the way, I see Finland beat Sweden in that outdoor ice hockey game (the one
played with a pink ball) that I cannot remember the name of. It was mentioned
on a TV sports' programme this morning. Waffles got all excitied at the
players' shirts as they had a picture of Frank in his gaiters on them.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 3rd 04, 02:51 PM
lrulan

oh, my, Marina. Jazz wants to know if Nikkis has any such pictures? HE
(Jazz) will prepare the teleporter in that case.
Jazz's mama

--

Irulan
from now until the end of time

"Marina" wrote in message

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote

Waffles and Francis do it too. Marble's not bothered. My thinking is it

may be
a sort of "dust bath" effect in the same way that birds will have a dust

bath.

Cheers, helen s
(calming Waffles down as she reads of Frank and writhing in the same
sentence...)

Old April 3rd 04, 06:35 PM
Kreisleriana

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 16:37:22 -0800, Seanette Blaylock
yodeled:

"Flippy" had some very
interesting things to say about A question: Why do cats writhe?:

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when Chloe
gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on her back and
starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Rubbing itchy spots on the back?

That's why *I* do it!

Theresa

Single-mindedness is all very well in cows or baboons; in an animal
claiming to belong to the same species as Shakespeare it is simply disgraceful.
(Aldous Huxley)
Old April 5th 04, 05:43 AM
Marina

"lrulan" wrote
oh, my, Marina. Jazz wants to know if Nikkis has any such pictures? HE
(Jazz) will prepare the teleporter in that case.
Jazz's mama

LOL! I'm sorry, no pictures of Nikki writhing. I should have taken my camera
when I went out for a walk with Nikki yesterday. She promptly flopped down
where there was the most grit and sand, and rolled around exstatically for
ages. I felt pretty silly standing there by a cat who was writhing around on
the ground and people walking by were laughing and pointing. Afterwards, she
was covered with sand, so I hope Jazz likes dirty old ladies. ;o)

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki

Old April 5th 04, 07:26 PM
jmcquown

Flippy wrote:
Hi group,

Okay, I have a question for you. Why do cat's writhe? Sometimes when
Chloe gets outside she immediately heads for concrete, she lays on
her back and starts to writhe around. Any ideas?

Flippy in Melbourne, Australia.
My Cats: http://www.flippyscatpage.com

She's scratching her back!

Jill